Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is the Inspire1 modification friendly? ?

Reaction score
Hey guys ..was reading the inspire 1 Manuel and noticed that the controle limits are pretty tight.under 400 foot ceiling with an unclear distance limit. .that brought up the question. .Are we going to be able to modify the inspire 1..this is what the manual said..
the manufacturer is not responsible for any radio or tv interference caused by unauthorized modifications or changes to this product. .such modifications or changes could void the users authority to operate the product.
Looks like if you modify your inspire1 you're on your own..

Well you know if it can be done it will and I bet Tony's already studying up on the antena's [emoji1]

Sent by Tapatalk

I've seen this cap at 400' elsewhere, but I read the manual differently. Page 19 seems to say that there is a 400' cap in non GPS mode. For GPS mode, the cap is user defined (as with the P2v+). Could be wrong.

For us in the US, may all academic if the FAA sets a 400' height limit.

Last edited:

The voluntary safety standard has been 400' in the US for over 30 years now. See https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/91-57.pdf. I for one am happy to see DJI encouraging safe operation that inherently deconflicts with aircraft which can legally fly as low as 500' (exceptions being only over open water or sparsely populated areas).

Only idiots trying to spoil it for everyone else have been flying their vehicles higher than 400'.

Reactions: ctp
I've seen this cap at 400' elsewhere, but I read the manual differently. Page 19 seems to say that there is a 400' cap in non GPS mode. For GPS mode, the cap is user defined (as with the P2v+). Could be wrong.

I think you're probably correct mem_ny.. thanks for clearing that up.

It's been confirmed that there are no hard flight height/distance limits outside of no-fly zones. Like the P2, you can turn them off and fly as far and high as your radio/battery allow.

That said, I'm thinking the Inspire isn't going to rank up there as one of the more mod-friendly multirotors. Have you seen the pictures? Lots of integrated components, wiring strung through looms, custom machined parts....it'll likely be less of a DIY craft than your typical quad.

ElGuano- where did you see these pictures you were talking about in your post above?
They're being posted throughout the Internet and Facebook by people who have received and been flying the preproduction units for nearly a month or so now. Lots of great closeups of the body and components. I'm on mobile now but i'll post up a few links when I can.

Hey guys. Also consider getting a Inspire 1 but would like to be able to use it for crop surveying as well. Wonder if a Canon S100 will cause any issues if fitted to the belly? 200 grams? :-/

From a strict weight perspective, you should be fine if you take off the gimbal and find a way to securely affix the S100 in a way that doesn't interfere with the optical flow sensors on the bottom. Of course, without the gimbal and camera you're giving up a lot of what makes the Inspire special (integrated lightbridge with digital video out, dual operator control of gimbal, wireless camera command control, etc.). So it's probably not the best tool for the job, but it'll stay within its design specs with that load.

From a strict weight perspective, you should be fine if you take off the gimbal and find a way to securely affix the S100 in a way that doesn't interfere with the optical flow sensors on the bottom. Of course, without the gimbal and camera you're giving up a lot of what makes the Inspire special (integrated lightbridge with digital video out, dual operator control of gimbal, wireless camera command control, etc.). So it's probably not the best tool for the job, but it'll stay within its design specs with that load.
I would not want to remove the gimbal no, just add the S100. I am still trying to see a good bottom view of the Inspire to work out how much empty space is between the optical sensor and the gimbal. This will be my first drone and I'm approaching the purchase as to be able to do as much with it as possible. Would feel odd ordering a Phantom or Iris+ when there is a Inspire sitting in my kit already?

I would not want to remove the gimbal no, just add the S100. I am still trying to see a good bottom view of the Inspire to work out how much empty space is between the optical sensor and the gimbal. This will be my first drone and I'm approaching the purchase as to be able to do as much with it as possible. Would feel odd ordering a Phantom or Iris+ when there is a Inspire sitting in my kit already?

From the pics I've seen, there is NOT a lot of room to add anything else to the bottom of the craft if the gimbal is attached. And the front is out of the question because the compass is right there, too. Though I'm sure the motors can handle it, adding another 250-300g with gimbal attached exceeds the likely recommended take off weight of the E800 system too. It's still possible if you want to do it, but I think with what you've said, the Inspire is not the ideal platform for doing what you want. Then again, maybe the Inspire's camera will give good enough still shots to use for crop surveying?

And no, I don't think there's nothing odd having a Phantom or other MR if you already have an Inspire! You use the right tool for the job. I have several Phantoms and multiple MRs larger and smaller. They all serve different purposes, and there's not one that can really be a jack-of-all-trades.

From the pics I've seen, there is NOT a lot of room to add anything else to the bottom of the craft if the gimbal is attached. And the front is out of the question because the compass is right there, too. Though I'm sure the motors can handle it, adding another 250-300g with gimbal attached exceeds the likely recommended take off weight of the E800 system too. It's still possible if you want to do it, but I think with what you've said, the Inspire is not the ideal platform for doing what you want. Then again, maybe the Inspire's camera will give good enough still shots to use for crop surveying?

And no, I don't think there's nothing odd having a Phantom or other MR if you already have an Inspire! You use the right tool for the job. I have several Phantoms and multiple MRs larger and smaller. They all serve different purposes, and there's not one that can really be a jack-of-all-trades.
Thanks for the input! I have just seen a video showing the bottom. Not much space at all. I was waiting for the "right tool for the job" thing to be mentioned.. :) Camera will give great quality pics yes, but problem comes when you need to do infrared. Seems that is the more important piece of data required for the analysis. Not going to try and rip the infrared filter off the Inspire's camera sensor... For obvious reasons! [emoji51]

problem comes when you need to do infrared. Seems that is the more important piece of data required for the analysis. Not going to try and rip the infrared filter off the Inspire's camera sensor... For obvious reasons! [emoji51]

True enough! Maybe some kind of generic camera mount will be released for the Inspire in the future, but if you need to affix a custom camera to a quad, a Phantom or other MR may be the best bet.

Reactions: jacqueswainwright

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop