Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is the Prores upgrade worth it?

The one thing here that I notice that no one has mentioned is, the cost of shooting raw does not end with the purchase of the Licences AU$860 dollars for PRORES and AU$1700 for cinemaDNG or AU$2200 for both, then there is AU$256.00 for the card reader, AU$1599.00 for the 480gig card, and are you ready for this, in the highest quality 5.2k you will get only 15mins on the 480gig card, (YES every hour of 5.2k is approx 2 terabytes) and then it takes around 2 hours to transfer from card to computer, and then if you are also editing said footage you will need a lot of solid state storage and a kickass computer to handle all of this information. Just something to think about.

That's all part of the cost of doing business and it's also a tax deduction

I'd suspect that for 99.9% of weddings the client wouldn't need (or notice the difference with) video shot in CDNG Raw. Most would get a glazed expression and switch off at the mention of jpeg vs RAW for stills come to that :D . The only way they'll ever 'need' it is if some silly "expert" wedding blogger or mag decides to make it their latest must have fad, or someone comes out with a great spilt-tea-colour-wash (sorry, Vintage) colour lut ;) :p .

The only really persuasive reason for you to go to ProRes would be if it made your life and workflow easier by killing time for proxy creation etc. If it'll speed your workflow up, then go for it!

Yes I am well aware of the cost of doing business especially in Video/film making/photography as I did my first payed video job in 1989, my reason for the statement with regards to the costs, if you did not know all the extra expenses involved with delivering a finished product from K4Raw and you were to say to a potential client that you could deliver it only to realise later that the gear you had was only 1 quarter of what was needed you may be in a spot of bother, I know a lot of this comes down to research prior but after reading a lot of posts on different forums there is a need for this type of information to be mentioned from time to time, point in case I recently read a post of someone that brought an Inspire 2 with the X5S and no licences but he brought a 480gig thinking that he could store heaps of images and video on it only to find out that you need the licences before you can use the SSDs. Just some food for thought. Hopes this helps to understand why I posted the costs post.

I'd suspect that for 99.9% of weddings the client wouldn't need (or notice the difference with) video shot in CDNG Raw. Most would get a glazed expression and switch off at the mention of jpeg vs RAW for stills come to that :D . The only way they'll ever 'need' it is if some silly "expert" wedding blogger or mag decides to make it their latest must have fad, or someone comes out with a great tea-wash (sorry, Vintage) colour lut ;) :p .

The only reason for you to go to ProRes would be if it made your life and workflow easier by killing time for proxy creation etc. If it'll speed your workflow up, then go for it!
My thoughts exactly, I have the Inspire 2 without the licences I figure the only clients that I can think go that would want/need/benefit from RAW 4K is either TV/Cinema advertising or medium to big budget movies and I would then include the cost of the licence into the quote.

A point on the value and merits of RAW or ProRes for YouTube/Vimeo only production. Web delivery is now the sole delivery venue for many high budget, high impact projects. These are highly edited, highly processed, full blown productions and they benefit greatly from these offerings. This will only increase as 5G comes online. To the young guys out there that are just getting their feet wet in this tech heavy business, my advice is to embrace these newly affordable technologies, master the workflows and editing processes involved and embrace future technologies and change with an open mind and excitement. Your product will differentiate you in competitive environment.

Yes I am well aware of the cost of doing business especially in Video/film making/photography as I did my first payed video job in 1989

its kinda fun watching you try to position yourself as the only correct answer in the forum. 1989 really? I have more time in the industry than you. I did my first three features in 1980... care to try again?

My thoughts exactly, I have the Inspire 2 without the licences I figure the only clients that I can think go that would want/need/benefit from RAW 4K is either TV/Cinema advertising or medium to big budget movies and I would then include the cost of the licence into the quote.

so by your reasoning everyone should be shooting JPEG only

its kinda fun watching you try to position yourself as the only correct answer in the forum. 1989 really? I have more time in the industry than you. I did my first three features in 1980... care to try again?
I don't know where that came from just giving some friendly advice to people that are asking If you think I am competing with you or anyone else here you are mistaken, again I am at a loss as to why you feel I am doing something that would require you to write that.....Have a nice day

This is unnecessary and uncalled for.

Can we stop this please?

I would love to get the prores upgrade but I would need another £3500 for the upgrade, 2 DJI 480GB SSD's, a 2 TB SSD working drive and a 10 TB hard drive for storage. This is way out of my my budget so for the foreseeable future I will have to work with h264/5.

Thanks for all your responses. I found it very interesting reading all your opinions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhillisSpa