Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is there a gimbal for the BMMCC yet?

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm keen to find out if there's a gimbal that supports the Black Magic Micro Cinema camera yet. I'm still not sure what rig I want to hang it under yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For any other DJI platforms?

No - the interface is proprietary.
Easy enough to use a carbon fibre rig though and an Alexmos controller which will give you total control over PID tuning and gyro/accelerometer weighting factors etc.

No - the interface is proprietary.
Easy enough to use a carbon fibre rig though and an Alexmos controller which will give you total control over PID tuning and gyro/accelerometer weighting factors etc.

Thanks for that. So I'm looking at a custom build then really.

Thanks for that. So I'm looking at a custom build then really.

Or the one in the link I posted, mounted on rails and controlled via S-BUS but yes, self build/mount and interface is your only option currently.

Sorry, I meant a custom build platform, not gimbal. I've just found this on the black magic website

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera Expansion

Well I guess you can pretty much sling it under anything with some DIY, some 10mm tubes, stand offs and a few mounting dampers.
The interface seems pretty straightforward and S-BUS compatible so that will give you 'some' control over parameters but nothing like the Inspire gives.
If you went Alexmos you would need to do some tuning (but their gimbal tuning Program is excellent and very customisable.) There is also a real time graph output that give vibrations and movements from all motors on all axis.
The BM weighs very little so you could even put it under a Phantom (although by the time you add glass the weight can add up so maybe not) - just swap the receiver for a Futaba or similar and you will have upteen spare channels available to configure as you want. :)

Well I guess you can pretty much sling it under anything with some DIY, some 10mm tubes, stand offs and a few mounting dampers.
The interface seems pretty straightforward and S-BUS compatible so that will give you 'some' control over parameters but nothing like the Inspire gives.
If you went Alexmos you would need to do some tuning (but their gimbal tuning Program is excellent and very customisable.) There is also a real time graph output that give vibrations and movements from all motors on all axis.
The BM weighs very little so you could even put it under a Phantom (although by the time you add glass the weight can add up so maybe not) - just swap the receiver for a Futaba or similar and you will have upteen spare channels available to configure as you want. :)

I've currently got a 3DR Solo as well as an Inspire so I'd love the functionality and feature available with those on a larger setup but unless I go the Matrice 600 route then that's not really going to be possible. I was considering the X5/X5R but they don't produce anywhere near as spectacular footage as the black magic does. They're still fantastic though. I'm just after a cinematic look. To be honest I may have to get what you've suggested done by a professional as my knowledge of that sort of thing is relatively limited.

I've currently got a 3DR Solo as well as an Inspire so I'd love the functionality and feature available with those on a larger setup but unless I go the Matrice 600 route then that's not really going to be possible. I was considering the X5/X5R but they don't produce anywhere near as spectacular footage as the black magic does. They're still fantastic though. I'm just after a cinematic look. To be honest I may have to get what you've suggested done by a professional as my knowledge of that sort of thing is relatively limited.

An X5R will give what you are after with decent grading and a 2:35:1 crop! :)

An X5R will give what you are after with decent grading and a 2:35:1 crop! :)

Yeah I agree it no doubt would but the issue is the cost of the SSD's. That's what's put me off it. I've got a professional workstation so the PC requirements and storage aren't an issue. It's purely that each SSD is £1300 and I'd fill one in 40 minutes. I'd need to drop an additional £2600/$3500 just for an additional 2. They're proprietary as well so it's not like I can use a 3rd party drive

Yeah I agree it no doubt would but the issue is the cost of the SSD's. That's what's put me off it. I've got a professional workstation so the PC requirements and storage aren't an issue. It's purely that each SSD is £1300 and I'd fill one in 40 minutes. I'd need to drop an additional £2600/$3500 just for an additional 2. They're proprietary as well so it's not like I can use a 3rd party drive

Not going to argue there - the media pricing is pure **** Turpin and daylight robbery!

Not going to argue there - the media pricing is pure **** Turpin and daylight robbery!

My thoughts exactly. It's such a shame as I was on the verge of buying it until I (luckily) checked the SSD specs. Even if it could record for 80 minutes I'd have probably still bought it but 40 minutes just isn't viable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla