Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Just did a Long Range Flight...

I understand your points of all who contributed well, I think you are right and I am wrong. This will not happen again and thanks for letting me see such issues with my craft operation.

Thanks,
JC
Im surprised at your reply and thank you for it. I did my private pilot license 30 years ago and what we learn most of all is that we have to fly to avoid accidents and problems. The drone license gives training in all things safe and that applies to pre flight checks just the same as if your are going up in a real aircraft. I understand your attitude but you are problem to others if you break the rules. You live far from me and what you do doesn't affect us but it can put anyone around you in grave danger.
We are taught to check our aircraft for cracks and loose screws in case they come apart during flight. I see many posts here regarding props but we are taught to replace them every 10 hours no matter what. Like a normal aircraft we are taught to test our controls after take off. How many people do that? One day your craft might not come back because the controls are not working correctly. How many comments have you read where the drone simply didn't respond and flew away?
I was filming the elevation of a basin less a month ago on my P3 and I noticed the view was very slanted so i brought it down fast.It was only up about 15 metres and when i had a look one of the pins had come out of the gimbal and the camera was hanging by a thread so to speak. Things happen but if it was higher it might not have made it back and even the camera hitting someone after it fell could hurt someone.
We just dont want to be in a situation where we can damage our lives by breaking the rules. We can kill someone. Imagine your inspire 1 falling out of the sky at 500 feet? Its pretty scary really and it can happen. Hobbyists use them just to fly I guess but those of us that film use them as a means to carry a camera to get the shots we want.
My new Inspire 1 Pro will earn me over 100k this year in my television production business. Its not a toy to many of us. It surprises me that people think a 3 kilo weight flying around cant do damage. Good luck to you.

How was he able to fly over 400ft? Thought the inspire was limited?
I think thats only in beginners mode. Im not sure as the rules say not more than 400. Im licensed and cant break the rules.
The Inspire will fly up to 500 metres above home point.
It has a user configurable limit that may be set below 500m.

btw .. It is possible go beyond 400ft above home point without breaking your rules
There's no rule that limits your height above home - just agl.

btw .. It is possible go beyond 400ft above home point without breaking your rules

Yes, people don't get the difference between 400 ft above home point and 400 feet above the ground. You could take off and climb to 300 feet and be perfectly legal, but if you were to fly over ground that drops away so that you're now 500 feet above the ground it doesn't matter that you're still only 300 feet above your home point. It's how high above the ground where ever the copter is that matters.

If you fly in canyon country you have to know something about the depth of the canyon because simply flying beyond the rim could easily put you more than 400 feet above the ground below the copter.

I think there's a lot of folks that don't understand that distinction and a bunch more that do understand but pretend they don't.

Brian

Actually mike with his GL658C version controller putting out 1000mw, his 1410 only producing 255mw to multiple antennas, and his flight taking place at over 800 feet above the ground he would absolutely have a direct line of site for his signal and get the results he did. Affixing an FCC ID decal which indicates a quarter of the transmission output would be a federal offense each time it occurred. So I can assure you all of us with the 1410s got screwed. If it had been an oops wrong decal we would have been notified where to go to get the correct ones installed as per uncle sam as the FCC regulations are extremely clear. I will take this opportunity to thank those here who pointed me in the direction of the FCC where I found the irrefutable evidence myself which when provided to my retailer and their DJI representative guaranteed my exchange of my PRO for a 1510 equipped model as soon as it became available.

Chnjab, I have upgraded after 12 months with the I1, with the thought of maybe installing the X5 at sometime, I am a safety conscious hobbyist with an HSE background and as long as my purchase do's what it is advertised to do I will just fly and enjoy my purchase. If it do's not then I will be on to my supplier for either a refund or exchange.

Regards and Fly Safe.

Without casting stones, I think this is why many of us were astounded by the initial post:

1) If you have any significant experience with the I1 you know that there are times you will inexplicably loose video feed even at close range. What happens when your airframe is a mile away and this happens?

2) If you experience an equipment failure, and this does happen, what or whom is injured when it falls from the sky?

3) If the worst happens what is the ultimate fallout (aside from the UAV, pun intended)? And, this is probably the most important factor. We all are reading headlines every day about UAVs being more and more restricted. It's fair to say that activity like this is more likely to encourage yet more restrictions.

Without casting stones, I think this is why many of us were astounded by the initial post:

1) If you have any significant experience with the I1 you know that there are times you will inexplicably loose video feed even at close range. What happens when your airframe is a mile away and this happens?
Bring it back using the gps/map on your screen on hit the home button.

2) If you experience an equipment failure, and this does happen, what or whom is injured when it falls from the sky?
It's going to fall from the sky and it can happen 50, 100, 500 or 5000 ft away and still hit something.

3) If the worst happens what is the ultimate fallout (aside from the UAV, pun intended)? And, this is probably the most important factor. We all are reading headlines every day about UAVs being more and more restricted. It's fair to say that activity like this is more likely to encourage yet more restrictions.
This is going to happen no matter what we do as the media is looking
For anything they can find to make news even if they have to make it look as bad as they can.
If a reporter watches one fall from the sky at only 20 ft off the ground
In your yard with only you there the news will say it fell from 2000 ft
Above earth almost hit a plane on the way down and **** near took out a family of 6 at a public school.

This is the problem. Those of us that are licensed know the rules. Hobby people dont.[/QUOTE]
What a load of ballony, there are a lot of hobby folks on here that fly responsibly.

This is the problem. Those of us that are licensed know the rules. Hobby people dont.
What a load of ballony, there are a lot of hobby folks on here that fly responsibly.[/QUOTE]

Obviously not all but a lot of "none professionals" go and get the license to turn this "hobby" into a business or on the off chance to see if they can earn a few extra quid with it.
And by no means are all of these guys responsible and safety conscious people just because they have been a course telling them what they should and shouldn't do..

What a load of ballony, there are a lot of hobby folks on here that fly responsibly.

Obviously not all but a lot of "none professionals" go and get the license to turn this "hobby" into a business or on the off chance to see if they can earn a few extra quid with it.
And by no means are all of these guys responsible and safety conscious people just because they have been a course telling them what they should and shouldn't do..

And obviously you never had a RPAS ground school course. If you had, you would be on 'our side' for sure.
Anyone who is trained professionally and spent thousands and thousands of Dollars or Euros to get certified, as well as another 2500 Euro (at least) to get his UAV certified, AND is medically examined AND, has full commercial insurance (another fortune each year, AND takes regular training to keep current, AND has written an OPS manual AND implemented a full safety management system etc etc.....,

WILL FOLLOW THE RULES!

Now please be a good citizen and fly by the general rules, meaning within VLOS, max 500m and 400feet high, ONLY during daylight hours.
Thank you.

Reactions: DennisR
And obviously you never had a RPAS ground school course. If you had, you would be on 'our side' for sure.
Anyone who is trained professionally and spent thousands and thousands of Dollars or Euros to get certified, as well as another 2500 Euro (at least) to get his UAV certified, AND is medically examined AND, has full commercial insurance (another fortune each year, AND takes regular training to keep current, AND has written an OPS manual AND implemented a full safety management system etc etc.....,

WILL FOLLOW THE RULES!

Now please be a good citizen and fly by the general rules, meaning within VLOS, max 500m and 400feet high, ONLY during daylight hours.
Thank you.

Do 1,,,

Do 1,,, looks like it's saying a lot but I'm not sure what.

We had a few guys at ground school who did it just for the hobby. When they learned about everything involved, they actually thought about giving up drone flying at all. They certainly stopped thinking about getting the full RPA-L certification, just to be able to fly around and earn a few bucks here and there. After ground school they completely changed their perspective and realised how serious any form of aviation actually is.

Reactions: DennisR
These people seem to have missed that I live outside the US where at the moment no restrictions apply as to line of sight or altitude.

I just have a question, if you are flying at enough altitude to clear all objects in the area whats the difference between a 30 meter flight vs 3,000 meter one, if the craft goes down it will go down exactly the same and theres nothing you can do about it.

In my experience flying very close to me is when the craft is in more danger of crashing since it will normally be lower to the ground so closer to more obstacles.

I could be wrong and this is a hobby for me like you said, but I would like to hear peoples opinions in an educated manner.

Hi james
Can I ask where you do live? It would be great to know which country has no restrictions as I am looking to build a country by country requirement list.
So far the only country I have flown in that has no restrictions (so far) is Thailand.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what you mean there is no rule and the 400 foot doesnt apply to home? Isn't home the same as AGL? What do you mean?

This is the problem. Those of us that are licensed know the rules. Hobby people dont.
What a load of ballony, there are a lot of hobby folks on here that fly responsibly.[/QUOTE]
Yes, of course. What I have read here tells me that most dont. its what is going to get all drone flying banned.

And by no means are all of these guys responsible and safety conscious people just because they have been a course telling them what they should and shouldn't do..[/QUOTE]
So you haven't done the course. Its much more than a course in this country. We have to pass the Private Pilot License theory which is over $4400 and months of study. Then we have to pay for the license. All up, about 10k.

Reactions: lake_flyer
I wonder what you mean there is no rule and the 400 foot doesnt apply to home? Isn't home the same as AGL? What do you mean?
The way I understand it is that if you were on a cliff 1000 feet high, you are allowed to fly 400 feet above your home point. If you fly a foot away from your home point and over the cliff you would be 1000 plus 400 feet high. In other words, strictly illegal.

These people seem to have missed that I live outside the US where at the moment no restrictions apply as to line of sight or altitude.

I just have a question, if you are flying at enough altitude to clear all objects in the area whats the difference between a 30 meter flight vs 3,000 meter one, if the craft goes down it will go down exactly the same and theres nothing you can do about it.

In my experience flying very close to me is when the craft is in more danger of crashing since it will normally be lower to the ground so closer to more obstacles.

I could be wrong and this is a hobby for me like you said, but I would like to hear peoples opinions in an educated manner.
You can see the majority of responses are negative about the way your flying. Whether your in the US or not some other person will read or talk to you and think this is okay..it isn't.

You can see the majority of responses are negative about the way your flying. Whether your in the US or not some other person will read or talk to you and think this is okay..it isn't.
So right. He doesn't realise that the laws are there for safe flying. Its scary that he is allowed to fly the way he does with not a care about the damage these drones can cause. I am really worried people like him that fly carefree will bring the bann ing of all drones into force.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo