Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Just got my Pro IN.....just showing it off!!!

After reading this thread I really feel you guys are trying to make a bit too much of this Inspire verses camera thing - the guys video is fine, if you shoot it sharp, the client will want it soft, if you shoot it soft, they will want it sharp.

Drones with cameras are what I call; "Blue Skies & Green Grass" machines. Most of the time, you will be shooting at a distance.

98% of the guys using drones are floppin around shooting anything in site and only a handful maybe 2%, are doing real work with their drones. The X5 on the Inspire is for the most part a waste since almost never are you going to be that close to the subject to appreciate the resolution. Lets face it guys, a tree or a car at 100 feet is not sharp to anyone’s naked eye.

Been doing this for a while and you guys have to come to grips that even the Phantom 3 is overkill for most all jobs you're going to get. So, unless you're doing high-end feature work, the P3 @ 1080 is more than enough.

Read my lips; No director is going to let you fly that close to the "principle’s face with a drone" to appreciate the quality - end story.

After reading this thread I really feel you guys are trying to make a bit too much of this Inspire verses camera thing - the guys video is fine, if you shoot it sharp, the client will want it soft, if you shoot it soft, they will want it sharp.

Drones with cameras are what I call; "Blue Skies & Green Grass" machines. Most of the time, you will be shooting at a distance.

98% of the guys using drones are floppin around shooting anything in site and only a handful maybe 2%, are doing real work with their drones. The X5 on the Inspire is for the most part a waste since almost never are you going to be that close to the subject to appreciate the resolution. Lets face it guys, a tree or a car at 100 feet is not sharp to anyone’s naked eye.

Been doing this for a while and you guys have to come to grips that even the Phantom 3 is overkill for most all jobs you're going to get. So, unless you're doing high-end feature work, the P3 @ 1080 is more than enough.

Read my lips; No director is going to let you fly that close to the "principle’s face with a drone" to appreciate the quality - end story.

Thank you for your thoughts.....

HOWEVER, here is a situation where you will NEED the X5 camera.

Large Groups of People! I will have an image (hopefully) to show later this weekend. I'm shooting a job of about 70 people on a Golf Course.

NOW, when you are doing a large shot (still image) of a nice scene, a slightly blurry tree is "sellable"...or, another way of saying pretty.

You are describing video, not still images! And the debate we were having was about still images.

If you have a blurry image of a FACE...esp. a face that is in a group of 70, you will have a very upset client.

So....while I totally AGREE with you, about film/video......you are totally wrong about stills...esp. stills that will be printed.

Thanks for your post.

Kirk

Thank you for your thoughts.....

HOWEVER, here is a situation where you will NEED the X5 camera.

Large Groups of People! I will have an image (hopefully) to show later this weekend. I'm shooting a job of about 70 people on a Golf Course.

NOW, when you are doing a large shot (still image) of a nice scene, a slightly blurry tree is "sellable"...or, another way of saying pretty.

You are describing video, not still images! And the debate we were having was about still images.

If you have a blurry image of a FACE...esp. a face that is in a group of 70, you will have a very upset client.

So....while I totally AGREE with you, about film/video......you are totally wrong about stills...esp. stills that will be printed.

Thanks for your post.

Kirk

No I'm talking about both still & video - I was using video as the subject since someone was hammering the guy who took it.

I want you to think about it for minute - if you're shooting 70 people in a frame just how much detail do you really expect to get - Like I said Blue Skies & Green grass. X5 only makes the the pilot feel more important!

No I'm talking about both still & video - I was using video as the subject since someone was hammering the guy who took it.

I want you to think about it for minute - if you're shooting 70 people in a frame just how much detail do you really expect to get - Like I said Blue Skies & Green grass. X5 only makes the the pilot feel more important!
I'm going to start a new thread when I get the photo. It will be taken with the x5. My x3 is in for repairs, as soon as I get it I will do a side by side.

I'll link this thread to it.

That should let us see!!

Kirk

I'm going to start a new thread when I get the photo. It will be taken with the x5. My x3 is in for repairs, as soon as I get it I will do a side by side.

I'll link this thread to it.

That should let us see!!

Kirk

I looked over your "pretty" images on your site very nice however they are all taken from a few feet away? This type of work is not aerial photography dude - slow down and try to listen to what I'm saying - aerial is a whole new field for all you guys who have been land-locked all your life.

Your test of both formats is worthless since anyone can doctor an images in Photoshop and show it their way. In addition, we'll all view it on internet web browsers at low rez - this same logic kills me when these guys shoot all this 4K stuff them load it up on Youtube and show it at their lousy resolution.

Dude I'm telling you - there is nothing you're going to shoot using and Inspire with an X5 that I won't shoot using a X3 and look just as good - other than low light there is no difference from the distance you'll be shooting.

As I mentioned, the X5 is more for the pilot than it is for the shot.

Reactions: skylabimaging
I looked over your "pretty" images on your site very nice however they are all taken from a few feet away? This type of work is not aerial photography dude - slow down and try to listen to what I'm saying - aerial is a whole new field for all you guys who have been land-locked all your life.

Your test of both formats is worthless since anyone can doctor an images in Photoshop and show it their way. In addition, we'll all view it on internet web browsers at low rez - this same logic kills me when these guys shoot all this 4K stuff them load it up on Youtube and show it at their lousy resolution.

Dude I'm telling you - there is nothing you're going to shoot using and Inspire with an X5 that I won't shoot using a X3 and look just as good - other than low light there is no difference from the distance you'll be shooting.

As I mentioned, the X5 is more for the pilot than it is for the shot.
We will see!!! Hey, I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong, I've proved that in this thread!!!

But I'm also all about the testing!!!

I'm glad you will be watching.

Kirk

Kirk,

You appear to be a good guy - you don't have anything to prove here - spend your effort in flying instead of photo shot-outs. One thing for certain - if you're going to be a pro at aerial photography it takes years of practice to get good with helicopters - shooting is the easy part!

Kirk,

You appear to be a good guy - you don't have anything to prove here - spend your effort in flying instead of photo shot-outs. One thing for certain - if you're going to be a pro at aerial photography it takes years of practice to get good with helicopters - shooting is the easy part!
Ahhhh Mike, thank you very much!! I really appreciate that!!

Just as info, I am 53 years old, I have been playing in the RC world since I was 13 and I have been flying RC Helicopters now for over 20 years!!!

It sure is fun!!!

Ok if you're that **** old we must know each other lol
Google my name!! I've been around forever! I've been doing photography professionally since I was 15! I did my first pay wedding at 15!!! Crazy huh!!

I will be teaching again this year at WPPI for like the 9th year in a row I think??

If you go, look me up!

Could have been - lived in Fla for decades did a lot of stuff for Miniature Aircraft when Walt was around.
Hey do you think you could help me get one of those chips in my frontal lobes? LOL

Could have been - lived in Fla for decades did a lot of stuff for Miniature Aircraft when Walt was around.
Hey do you think you could help me get one of those chips in my frontal lobes? LOL

Sure!!!! You can get it in the DJI Store, however it ships from China and you have to wait 3 years for it to be fitted to your memory and purchasing patterns..... :D

My first goal was to do a short video clip....and I was shooting at 2.2 for that purpose.....I reasoned that for sure the entire world would be in focus at f8 or f11.....I wanted to see how this lens compared to the X3 fixed 2.8 lens....so I was trying to use an f stop that was similar....

I included the raw file in the dropbox so everyone could see them RAW.....straight off the camera....Adobe Camera Raw can really SAVE an image that is bad.....so I did not want to be accused of that.....I just was trying to help out and let everyone see what I'm finding.

I did not MANUALLY focus....I did tap the iPad screen to focus and I got a positive response. Also, I did calibrate the focus per the instructions....so, I'm going to be doing some more testing this weekend...I have a large group of people (70 Plus) on a Golf Course that I'm going to photograph from the air...my plan is to do an exposure at EVERY f stop to see if I can find a "MAGIC" spot.....a sweet spot if you will where things like this appear to be the best.

I did this with my Canon 1DX and 70-200L when I first got it and there is a sweet spot....all lenses have it.

Thanks for you comments.

Kirk

Kirk, thanks for posting the raw video files in your dropbox. I found the focus to be fine. The anhinga was tack sharp on the flyby. There were a couple of stills that showed foreground more in focus than background (the cypress stumps), but f/2.2 would explain that. FYI, the MTF chart for the Panasonic/Leica 15 (sister to the DJI 15) shows best edge to edge sharpness at f/4-5.6. If you set MF with hyperfocal set at around 9 ft and f/5.6, everything will be in focus from around 5 ft to infinity. I'm sure you calibrated the lens, right?
Happy flying! :D

BTW, love your Inspire Pro portrait. Studio lighting and everything!

Go check out this TEST post:
Side by side Images X5 and X3 | DJI Inspire Forum

Kirk Voclain

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter