Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

lens refocus hunting.

Reaction score

A quick video I did with permission. I wanted to show the extent of my re-focusing issue I have been dealing with lately. Last week I did a couple long shots, but notice this particular video shows a sharp increase of what has been happening. I did choose to try manual mode after seeing this from the ground, but a first time member of the manual club on focus not everything was in focus in this particular scene. I did search and found some members have a constant out of focus issue. This is not the case here. At least not on the photography side things come out nice and sharp.

thoughts? I could try manual shot of this again. Wonder if others with AF being on have this much of an issue, or if the vast majority shoot with AF off and manual roll it. What I have seen in Manual is there is too much of a thin slice of what is in focus.

Thanks

-Cody

Hey Cody - Yeah, that is a big problem. (I thought you were about to take the bird for a drink there at one point). I run AF and don't have anything like that - in fact it works great - nails the focus on video and doesn't slip out even in low lightish conditions. Even when it does focus for you it is not looking that sharp (though YT / so hard to be sure).

If people are getting a thin slice of focus using manual that is likely cos they are running a low aperture I would guess on close up objects?

Personally I think you have a hardware issue - I would show that to video to DJI and would assume they would replace - certainly not behaving as designed. I haven't seen your other posts where you have referenced this issue, so apologies if this has been suggested before.

I was standing pretty close to the bird, it's shallow so I was pretty comfortable. I was maybe 2 foot up. Yea I'll look into this further with a friend. We are going to compare all settings. If they are the same I'll do a ticket. I am hopeful it was a setting

My understanding is that I2 AF is not continuous AF that you typically find in higher end DSLRs. It feels like to me you are doing focus seeking a lot which is not something I've experienced.
Typically what I do is click auto focus using my R2 button and go forward from there in the hopes that the depth of field will keep everything sharp. When this becomes more of a problem is when there is something in the foreground that I want to start with in focus and then rack out to infinity (typical in the architectural stuff I shoot). That's when I get the same focus hunting. I don't trust the manual focus with the low resolution of the iPad (although the zoom in helps here) and this goes for focus peaking as well.
This is just a few of the not-quite-pro aspects of the DJI solution. Another huge one is the lack of a smooth exposure transition. That said in the big picture it's pretty amazing that we have this kind of control and this stuff cuts into my 422 footage pretty well. In the olden days when people would lift off with Reds or GH4's and have no control it's a godsend.
Please let us know if you find out more as DJI is really hopeless when it comes to getting a response.

Oddly I did take out two flights yesterday. I did a compass cal followed by a GUI Call. After these two items completed and a reboot I did notice the green bar for compass performance seemed higher and did hold a little better. The picture I did get one re-focus. I attempted the gamete of trying different Aperture, shutter settings in hope that one would generate issues focusing at the blowing trees 70 feet away. I did up and downs. I did another flight much later in lower light setting. I did a similar manual settings and I simply could not get it to fail. I want to do a couple more significant practice shoots, but at this time I do not have anywhere near the hunting in the video above... Oddly a flight before this video was made I was doing a very long long shot and it still did it. More time will tell. I will fly tomorrow in some wind and see what it does.

Its possible I suppose in grass it did not boot the lens 'normal' or if anything else was set out of the norm. It would be good to write this off as a fluke.

Sparkworld I agree with you and a lot of what you said. These are pretty fantastic for a number of reasons and pretty painful in a couple of areas.. I am sure though that things will keep evolving. (I3) with X7s) I remember a year ago trying to find camera controls in a particular camera with a particular peace of hardware a company made to try do both types of communicating through it. All for a home brew Okto and a tuned gimble...painful. While the I2 is painful in some areas,(most) areas its problem free or there is a way around to mitigate it.

One thing I want to point out is DJI in the recent call was pretty good.

-Cody

Try manual focus with focus peaking turned on.

Oddly I did take out two flights yesterday. I did a compass cal followed by a GUI Call. After these two items completed and a reboot I did notice the green bar for compass performance seemed higher and did hold a little better. The picture I did get one re-focus. I attempted the gamete of trying different Aperture, shutter settings in hope that one would generate issues focusing at the blowing trees 70 feet away. I did up and downs. I did another flight much later in lower light setting. I did a similar manual settings and I simply could not get it to fail. I want to do a couple more significant practice shoots, but at this time I do not have anywhere near the hunting in the video above... Oddly a flight before this video was made I was doing a very long long shot and it still did it. More time will tell. I will fly tomorrow in some wind and see what it does.

Its possible I suppose in grass it did not boot the lens 'normal' or if anything else was set out of the norm. It would be good to write this off as a fluke.

Sparkworld I agree with you and a lot of what you said. These are pretty fantastic for a number of reasons and pretty painful in a couple of areas.. I am sure though that things will keep evolving. (I3) with X7s) I remember a year ago trying to find camera controls in a particular camera with a particular peace of hardware a company made to try do both types of communicating through it. All for a home brew Okto and a tuned gimble...painful. While the I2 is painful in some areas,(most) areas its problem free or there is a way around to mitigate it.

One thing I want to point out is DJI in the recent call was pretty good.

-Cody

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool