Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lens setups

If you search I have a few threads on here as to what I've gotten to work. I will say the OP has the acceptable weight too high. The gimble is about maxed somewhere around 160g. I'm not saying I haven't flown and used lenses just above but you will see a gimble motor overload warning.

Yeah, I ballparked the max weight and I agree that 200g is too high and that 160g is probably more like the workable maximum. I expect to receive my I1 next week and will do some testing with the 4 lenses I have for use: 12mm, 15mm, 25mm and 45mm. I also have a few other M43 lenses for my Panasonic GH2 but they are all way too heavy for use on the I1. The 7-14mm is over 300g and my other two lenses (14-140 and 100-300) are even heavier.

In addition to the lenses I ordered I also ordered some ND filters at 1 stop - 4 stop. I probably need to order a clear/UV filter for when it's too dark for a ND. So, I'll do some testing with the lenses and filters and step rings and adjust my table accordingly.

Brian

I was finally able to get some time to work with the 35-100 and unfortunately must report it's not a viable lens to use. Even if used extremely carefully at 35mm it overloads the gimble motor. I did get a few shots of it on the PRO but thats as far as it will be going. Unfortunately I have reached thge same conclusion on the 30mm Panasonic Macro.View attachment 5416 View attachment 5417

OK, I can see the 30mm macro being a problem as it's listed at 180g, but the 35-100 is listed at 135g so by weight alone it should be well within reach. However, I'm not sure how the 35-100 changes as you zoom it and if the front elements move more than a little the effect could be a substantial difference in moment to the mount. Can you tell e about how much the front elements extend over the zoom range?

Brian

Great feedback on the 35-100, I think we can comfortably remove it from the list.

So, with that lens out of the list that leave the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 as the longest lens, but at 190g it's too heavy.

Next up is the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 which we know does work. So, that folks is the longest reach lens we can use.

That being the case I think the lens kit I've ordered and should receive tomorrow should be about all I can hope for. Along with the OEM supplied DJI rebadged Panasonic 15mm f/1.7 I will also have the following Olympus lenses: 12mm f/2, 25mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8.

I may add the 17mm f/1.8 down the road if I see the gap between 15mm and 25mm being too large. Also a possibility is the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, but at 87g in weight and 25.5mm long you'd probably have to add a lot of weight to get it to balance. Perhaps a lens hood with weight glued to the outside.

What I hope to do in the coming weeks, after receipt of my I1 Pro with the lenses I mentioned, is fill out the table (spreadsheet actually) and repost with the additional feedback from other posters. My original list was 18 lenses long, but it's looking like that list can now be reduced by about half down to about 10 lenses give or take.

Brian

As people are trying and using different lenses and there's a weight and balance issue I wonder if we can create a sticky in this sub that details what setups are used for each lens. So, for example, when using the Olympus 12mm lens what would you do to balance when using a ND filter and what setup without a ND filter? And then do the same for all the lenses in use.

I'm thinking of a table or spreadsheet kind of thing that has one line for each lens configuration so that there might be several lines for each lens with different configs like filters or not. That way it wouldn't require every pilot to figure this out for themselves which increases the risk that it's done wrong and causes damage.

Brian

Can you help me? I mounted the X5 on my Inspire 1, and I mounted my Olympus 17mm 1:18 lens to the new X5 gimbal. I turned the system on and I do not see an image on my ipad. The DJI app recognizes the lens. I briefly saw a notice on my iPad that lens was not connected, then it disappeared. The light meter detects light and everything seems to work except I cannot see an image or capture a photo. Is the X5 not compatible with the Olympus 17mm1:18 lens, my lens has the same mount as the gimbal mount. Does the firmware need to be updated.

Can you help me? I mounted the X5 on my Inspire 1, and I mounted my Olympus 17mm 1:18 lens to the new X5 gimbal. I turned the system on and I do not see an image on my ipad. The DJI app recognizes the lens. I briefly saw a notice on my iPad that lens was not connected, then it disappeared. The light meter detects light and everything seems to work except I cannot see an image or capture a photo. Is the X5 not compatible with the Olympus 17mm1:18 lens, my lens has the same mount as the gimbal mount. Does the firmware need to be updated.
Please do not double post - it is against our community rules.
You already have a thread running on this subject HERE.

Thank You

Do you have any in-flight pics from th Sigma's -- particularly the 60mm? If they release a new firmware that is OK with the Sigma lenses the 60mm might be the ideal long lens if the 35-100 doesn't work out. Actually, any pics of any of the Sigma's would be nice.

Brian

I bought all three of the Sigma-lenses (19, 30 and 60mm DN Art) but it's only the 60mm that works and is recognized by the Go-app. The 19 and 30mm locks when trying to take a picture because the aperture-controll doesn't work. The app also say "Unknown lens" so I'm very annoyed by this. It doesn't make any sence because the 60mm works just fine, and the others are excactly the same. This has to be a fw-issue, and I think it should be addressed because the lenses balance so well. Hope someone has a fix for this so I can start taking pictures with them. Here you can se a picture I took with the 60mm yesterday. The closest house is about 6-700 meters away, the town center behind the church is about 3,5 km. away.

Attachments

• Sortland fra Toften_3x2.jpg
    Sortland fra Toften_3x2.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 87
Reactions: cathpah and UnSean1
I bought all three of the Sigma-lenses (19, 30 and 60mm DN Art) but it's only the 60mm that works and is recognized by the Go-app. The 19 and 30mm locks when trying to take a picture because the aperture-controll doesn't work. The app also say "Unknown lens" so I'm very annoyed by this. It doesn't make any sence because the 60mm works just fine, and the others are excactly the same. This has to be a fw-issue, and I think it should be addressed because the lenses balance so well. Hope someone has a fix for this so I can start taking pictures with them. Here you can se a picture I took with the 60mm yesterday.
I bought all three of the Sigma-lenses (19, 30 and 60mm DN Art) but it's only the 60mm that works and is recognized by the Go-app. The 19 and 30mm locks when trying to take a picture because the aperture-controll doesn't work. The app also say "Unknown lens" so I'm very annoyed by this. It doesn't make any sence because the 60mm works just fine, and the others are excactly the same. This has to be a fw-issue, and I think it should be addressed because the lenses balance so well. Hope someone has a fix for this so I can start taking pictures with them. Here you can se a picture I took with the 60mm yesterday. The closest house is about 6-700 meters away, the town center behind the church is about 3,5 km. away.

Attachments

• 13962545_10154261691465351_1180267821188159721_n.jpg
    13962545_10154261691465351_1180267821188159721_n.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: tweaker

Torgeir, a great shot, probably the best quality I have seen from an Inspire to date, what processing did you use to get this level of sharpness and what settings on the lens did you use.

Thanks

Sean

I am getting some strange actions with my Sigma 19mm under the latest firmware in camera, controller, GO app and inspire. It seems to identify the lens fine and focus in video and still fine, but loses aperture under Video and Still, it records Video and saves, in Photo mode it gives a black screen and locks up the Go app,it does not save the shot.

Any help would be appreciated.

hmm quite interested any chance of a little trial panning,tilting etc when you get a chance?

Would be appreciated

hmm quite interested any chance of a little trial panning,tilting etc when you get a chance?

Would be appreciated
Yes sure, I am away until next Tuesday I will have a look then.

You could PM Torgeir above, as he has used it as well.

magic cheers. No rush just glad someone can help spread the Gen!!

Thanks
Tested today at 27c indoors so no cooling air and the pitch gimbal got noticeably warm, I was panning and pitching as you would do for around 5 mins with an unbalanced lens. therefore I would say unless you were going crazy in the wind and balanced it should be no problem.

Thanks

Sean

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg