Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Liability Insurance is a MUST!

Has anyone actually taken out insurance from either www.highlandinsagcy.com or https://www.aerialpak.com/ ? It looks like aerialpak doesn't offer "in flight" insurance. How about Highland Agency? I've sent an email to them but haven't heard back yet. I'm looking for coverage for my equipment (in case of crash, loss, water, etc.) and liability coverage for 3rd party damage. If anyone has any other insurance companies that they have used, any help would be appreciated... Thanks

Ditto....was the best route for me with two quads.
Hill & Usher looks like they have coverage for professional photographers. Are you sure that covers the actual quadcopter vehicle and not just the gimbal (photography equipment)? I'm hoping it does, but have you had specific conversations with them about UAVs? If you don't mind me asking, about how much does their $1mil / $2mil policy run each year??? Thanks- Ryan

The insurance companies are nuts if they are charging 1,200.00 for non commercial coverage. Seriously, my Auto coverage is less than that for two people and two cars. The potential for severe damage or injury is a heck of a lot more than flying a drone!

Hill & Usher looks like they have coverage for professional photographers. Are you sure that covers the actual quadcopter vehicle and not just the gimbal (photography equipment)? I'm hoping it does, but have you had specific conversations with them about UAVs? If you don't mind me asking, about how much does their $1mil / $2mil policy run each year??? Thanks- Ryan

It's simply a liability policy for both ground and aerial photography. Extra cost for equipment coverage.
I spend around $1500 yearly.

Costello Insurance quited me $999 for $1 million dollars of liability. Doesn't cover the bird though

Just signed up but have been following for a time. Skyjib/inspire 1/other.

I also agree that insurance is a critical step in providing true professional aerial services. I tell all my clients to ask others for proof of insurance before hiring.

I hate to say it but I'm extremely suspicious of all insurance carriers in the US that supposedly cover commercial UAV work. I call BS on the majority claiming to cover commercial work. Under the current regulatory climate, there is no reason an insurer has to pay out for commercial claims. Look at the fine print on your agreement. Almost all policies will not cover illegal or pseudo-illegal operation. Your insurer can easily argue that any commercial use in the US falls in this territory unless you have a COA/333.

The only way to truly trust these companies is to talk to their clients and see if any of them have ever been paid on a commercial claim. Having aerial insurance is a must when operating commercially but you need to make **** sure the company you choose to go with will pay claims. If you think you're insured for commercial operation because a rep tells you you're covered, think again.

I'd love to create a list of insurers that have a good reputation of paying out commercial claims. List the company in this thread if you know of one. Transportation Risk Management is one of those companies (no affiliation).

-John.

Just signed up but have been following for a time. Skyjib/inspire 1/other.

I also agree that insurance is a critical step in providing true professional aerial services. I tell all my clients to ask others for proof of insurance before hiring.

I hate to say it but I'm extremely suspicious of all insurance carriers in the US that supposedly cover commercial UAV work. I call BS on the majority claiming to cover commercial work. Under the current regulatory climate, there is no reason an insurer has to pay out for commercial claims. Look at the fine print on your agreement. Almost all policies will not cover illegal or pseudo-illegal operation. Your insurer can easily argue that any commercial use in the US falls in this territory unless you have a COA/333.

The only way to truly trust these companies is to talk to their clients and see if any of them have ever been paid on a commercial claim. Having aerial insurance is a must when operating commercially but you need to make **** sure the company you choose to go with will pay claims. If you think you're insured for commercial operation because a rep tells you you're covered, think again.

I'd love to create a list of insurers that have a good reputation of paying out commercial claims. List the company in this thread if you know of one. Transportation Risk Management is one of those companies (no affiliation).

-John.
I use TRM

Reactions: Outta Control
For folks in the USA who want to better understand aviation insurance take a look at the following. They are quite different from home or car policies. Specifically, make sure you understand the difference between "smooth" and "combined single limit". Get quotes accordingly.

Avemco Aviation Insurance

I link to Avemco simply for the information.

AIG does appear to be in the business:
Unmanned Aircraft through AIG Aerospace

The application is interesting, especially as it relates to training and certification.

http://www.aig.com/Chartis/internet...alifications Form (APP-20)_tcm3171-652575.pdf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla