Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Linear mapping

SWH

Reaction score
I am trying to map a 2.5 miles wall. The wall will need to be flown twice a year so that the photos can be compared. I have tried a small section of wall using GS Pro and the waypoints function but this is difficult because there is no way to have the photos taken at equal intervals.
Has anyone used other programs like maps made easy or drone deploy to accomplish this type of mapping.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Map Pilot has a specific mode for linear mapping. It's the overlap setting and altitude that will govern the interval. Not sure if it will take the first photo at the exact same place each time though. I bit of a test needed perhaps?

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Have you checked out Litchi?

You can map your path (on your device or computer) ahead of time (or by pre-flying the route). You can set waypoints with specific actions (take photo, etc) at each and save missions. Fly them again as often as you like. It is very user friendly.

Mission Hub - Litchi

Have you checked out Litchi?
I still think Map Pilot is better for mapping than Litchi, Litchi is really a glorified and different version of Go for a different way of programming waypoints for video.

Map pilot is a specific package for mapping, and allows for multiple battery changes etc. Although you dont say way you are and would probably run into distance issues and would have to do it as a number of surveys. Save the surveys and go back to them to change at a later date which is what i do for time lapse snapshots.

Of course there is then the post processing, or are you just looking for images, or for complete 3d meshes, DEMs, etc?

Have you been using Map Pilot with an Inspire 2? If so are you using it with a: X5S camera of the X4S. I have been waiting for them to get it going with the X5S camera. They are a local San Diego company as well!

Have you been using Map Pilot with an Inspire 2? If so are you using it with a: X5S camera of the X4S
No - I'm using Phantom 4 and was using Inspire 1 Pro Black with X5 and 12mm Olympus to great effect. Ive just sold me I1 and waiting for my I2 to arrive. I will be adding the X5S as micro 4/3 at 20px is a lot better than the previous version. I still think a bigger sensor is required so would use that instead of the X4S. The only caveat would be that the X4S MIGHT give better battery life on grids. Ive never actually used the map pilot multi battery option as always plan for 1 battery but would be interesting to know how it works.

The guys behind Map Pilot look to be on the ball so i dont think it will be long before they put I2 in the mix. Remember we're all only now getting the I2 in our hands so they unfortunately will need coding and testing releases before upgrading. But like you I cant wait. In the meantime, I will be using the DJI Ground Station Pro app for mapping until map pilot has been upgraded.

No - I'm using Phantom 4 and was using Inspire 1 Pro Black with X5 and 12mm Olympus to great effect. Ive just sold me I1 and waiting for my I2 to arrive. I will be adding the X5S as micro 4/3 at 20px is a lot better than the previous version. I still think a bigger sensor is required so would use that instead of the X4S. The only caveat would be that the X4S MIGHT give better battery life on grids. Ive never actually used the map pilot multi battery option as always plan for 1 battery but would be interesting to know how it works.

The guys behind Map Pilot look to be on the ball so i dont think it will be long before they put I2 in the mix. Remember we're all only now getting the I2 in our hands so they unfortunately will need coding and testing releases before upgrading. But like you I cant wait. In the meantime, I will be using the DJI Ground Station Pro app for mapping until map pilot has been upgraded.
Back in January I was sent this information from them (Drones Made Easy the makers of Map Pilot) : DJI has yet to release SDK for the X5S. As soon as it is we will update the supported hardware list here: Supported Hardware

The I2 (X4S) is listed there - I am waiting for the X5S, like you I want a bit more detail than the X4S can provide.

I have android device so haven't had the pleasure of Map Pilot. But I fly large acreage for farms and oil fields and use either Drone Deploy or InFlight Mapper. It allows for altitude and overlap. 2.5 miles is a long ways, is it in a rural area that you are going to try and ride in a vehicle while it does it? Or just do it in sections?

I still think Map Pilot is better for mapping than Litchi, Litchi is really a glorified and different version of Go for a different way of programming waypoints for video.

Map pilot is a specific package for mapping, and allows for multiple battery changes etc. Although you dont say way you are and would probably run into distance issues and would have to do it as a number of surveys. Save the surveys and go back to them to change at a later date which is what i do for time lapse snapshots.

Of course there is then the post processing, or are you just looking for images, or for complete 3d meshes, DEMs, etc?
map pilot is good.ive used it many times, but i think litchi is better because the angle of the camera can be adjusted to get oblique images, much more suitable to mapping a wall as the result will have a better side angle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin