Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

LiPo battery charging safe

Reaction score
Has anyone here considered using a fire safe like they sell in Home Depot, to store and charge their batteries? I was figuring on drilling a hole for the cord and for gasses to escape. Looking at the video's of LiPo bags in action it's obvious that they are not good enough. I had considered using concrete block and cement board but I want something a little more attractive.

Reactions: RJ Evans
Made this today for about $10. I feel better about it than the lipo bags I used to store batteries in.
e2b9154c30ae7015e1975efb7aebcb0c.jpg
bc54903bb025c6557ac560abe2dd7b03.jpg
4dba0ce7e830743787db084ef483e6e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jack Knudsen
I havent (touch wood) had any problems with Lipos yet, and never leave them charging when im not close by.
I did however find a flaw in Hitec chargers about 1 year ago, whereby the Pb charging mode would not actually cut off at the full voltage, the beeping would happen and the screen showed it as finished, but the ammeter on the PS still showed the current as being used.

The result was a very very hot and puffed leaky Pb battery on my desk at work the next morning.

They immediately took it seriously and changed the firmware, but I dont know if old chargers were updated..........

If this happened with a Lipo you would be really gutted, and, as a precaution, I made a relativly safe place to charge batteries by taking some metal shelving and boxing in five of the six sides with metal sheeting. nothing was stored on top of the shelves and it was in a room with a smoke detector.

I thought about using an arduino to monitor temps at the charging locations and cut off power if it got too hot. but never did.

Made this today for about $10. I feel better about it than the lipo bags I used to store batteries in.
Note that while this is good the location it's in might not be very appropriate - even with these bricks should a lipo catch fire you'd still have a 1m long flame or ball of burning gases shooting out and potentially setting fire to your carpet.

Note that while this is good the location it's in might not be very appropriate - even with these bricks should a lipo catch fire you'd still have a 1m long flame or ball of burning gases shooting out and potentially setting fire to your carpet.

I know. A concrete floor would be best. I don't really have anywhere else to store them that's better unfortunately. Any ideas on making the bunker or area more secure? Still, a step better than leaving them in the Inspire case I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an ammunition box from aussie disposals (a military surplus store in Australia). Stuck a smoke detector on the inside, and strapped an extinguisher on the side. As it's got a handle already, it's a very portable solution =) and it's air tight too.

That's the last thing you want.
Why? Fire can't flourish in something with limited oxygen... Also, these batterie do not give off gases when charging like car batteries. Why wouldn't I want it air tight?

The problem is that a lipo failure releases its own oxygen once it reaches cathode breakdown temperature.

So if one goes bad it will start by releasing large amounts of hot and flammable gases that will severely raise the pressure in the container if it's tight (already not good), then dump oxygen into the mix and risk causing a nice explosion.

Fair enough =) I was watching a YouTube video where a bunch of "supposed" experts recommended doing it themselves. It made sense to me. I'm new to lipo batteries so any advice helps. Thanks! =)

For those technically inclined I recently found this site, it's the first time I find a decent resource about the detailed working of Lithium battery chemistry that actually explains the how and why better than the usual armchair theories. That page is about the failures but it links to others with tons more info.

For those technically inclined I recently found this site, it's the first time I find a decent resource about the detailed working of Lithium battery chemistry that actually explains the how and why better than the usual armchair theories. That page is about the failures but it links to others with tons more info.
Thanks, I'll check it out =)

Ammo boxes have been recommended by model fliers for YEARS. They have also saved many homes and sheds (even one that I know of). I can not speak enough for the importance of lipo safety so thanks for bringing it up again. Nice to remind everyone.

Ammo boxes have been recommended by model fliers for YEARS. They have also saved many homes and sheds (even one that I know of). I can not speak enough for the importance of lipo safety so thanks for bringing it up again. Nice to remind everyone.
this is my setup.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: Mazz
Exactly how often do these batteries... you know... catch on fire? I mean, LiPo batteries are fantastically ubiquitous these days (smartphones, many laptops, etc), and yet I don't personally know anyone who's ever had an issue with one.

Exactly how often do these batteries... you know... catch on fire? I mean, LiPo batteries are fantastically ubiquitous these days (smartphones, many laptops, etc), and yet I don't personally know anyone who's ever had an issue with one.

Very rarely. TBH the probability of a lipo fire happening is pretty tightly coupled to the operator's reliability... Probably >90% of incidents are due to user error (setting charger wrong, overcurrent during charge or discharge, overdischarge, not letting the battery cool down between cycles, short circuits, imbalance, mechanical damage...). As common RC batteries are totally unprotected and exclusively rely on the user doing things right that's quite obviously where most accidents happen.
For batteries with a protection/management circuit such as phones, laptops, and the Phantom/Inspire batteries all of those are pretty much elimintated so all that's left as potential cause is basically manufacturing defect and physical damage, which can cause shorts either internal or external to the battery. Extremely rare, but happens.

What's "funny" as can regularly be seen here is that when you put protection circuitry that is able to eliminate 90% of the reasons for failure you then get people who have no idea nor will to learn how things work complain and try to circumvent them to charge faster/save a few bucks on chargers/etc putting the user error risk back in the equation :eek: :(

Reactions: The Editor
Anyone ever used a fire extinguisher? rule 1- call 911 as you are not a firefighter
rule 2 why attach the extinguisher to the source of the fire?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips