Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Litchi App and Follow Mode

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm still working on practicing my flying as much as I can, while I wait for my 333 to come back. I just purchased the Litchi App for IOS and I was using the tracking modes yesterday. It worked fairly well given the lighting conditions I was testing in. My question is this. Is there anything that works like the tracking mode (draw a box and it follows) but is able to fly alongside a subject? I tried to rotate the drone, speed it up, move it more to the side...no luck. I have a buddy who wants me to film him doing a long slow wheelie on a motorcycle, but I'd like to be moving parallel to him to capture it from the side rather than behind. Anyone have any advice for how to pull this off? Since I'm a fairly new pilot (got my Inspire in November of last year) I liked the security the tracking feature gave me. I'd just like the ability to track from the side rather than the rear. Or is it just a matter of flying next to him and having someone else compose the shot with my other remote?

Hey guys. I'm still working on practicing my flying as much as I can, while I wait for my 333 to come back. I just purchased the Litchi App for IOS and I was using the tracking modes yesterday. It worked fairly well given the lighting conditions I was testing in. My question is this. Is there anything that works like the tracking mode (draw a box and it follows) but is able to fly alongside a subject? I tried to rotate the drone, speed it up, move it more to the side...no luck. I have a buddy who wants me to film him doing a long slow wheelie on a motorcycle, but I'd like to be moving parallel to him to capture it from the side rather than behind. Anyone have any advice for how to pull this off? Since I'm a fairly new pilot (got my Inspire in November of last year) I liked the security the tracking feature gave me. I'd just like the ability to track from the side rather than the rear. Or is it just a matter of flying next to him and having someone else compose the shot with my other remote?
With AutoflightLogic's Autopilot you can set about any offset you can think of while following. Behind, in front or at the side. Not for pussies though :)....It is quite a learning curve to get through. It is the most, I would say, professional follow me implementation, I've ever come across. It's for IOS but perhaps also Android by now.

I looked at Litchi and opted to go with Autoflight Logic because of all the features available that I may use in the future. I've faced frustrations with Autoflight but my frustrations are with the learning curve. It's STEEP. For your situation (in Autoflight), I would setup two missions and your boy could run the wheelie route as many times as he likes. I would setup a ZipLine Mission with the focus mode set to Joystick and also a wavy patterned Waypoint Mission again with the focus mode set to joystick. The AC would fly itself with both missions but anytime during the mission you could change the speed and/or altitude of the AC in real time with the movement of an onscreen slider - while the mission is live but the bonus is with your focus mode, Joystick gives you full control of the camera with the right joystick just as if you were a second operator.

Thanks for the reply guys! I'll
I looked at Litchi and opted to go with Autoflight Logic because of all the features available that I may use in the future. I've faced frustrations with Autoflight but my frustrations are with the learning curve. It's STEEP. For your situation (in Autoflight), I would setup two missions and your boy could run the wheelie route as many times as he likes. I would setup a ZipLine Mission with the focus mode set to Joystick and also a wavy patterned Waypoint Mission again with the focus mode set to joystick. The AC would fly itself with both missions but anytime during the mission you could change the speed and/or altitude of the AC in real time with the movement of an onscreen slider - while the mission is live but the bonus is with your focus mode, Joystick gives you full control of the camera with the right joystick just as if you were a second operator.

Thanks for the reply guys! I will check out this app tonight. Does it support dual operator mode like DJI Go does? I usually have a guy with me that likes to run the camera while I fly with the other remote. Or will my camera operator have to open DJI go to move the camera while I operate the Drone?

Thanks for the reply guys! I'll

Thanks for the reply guys! I will check out this app tonight. Does it support dual operator mode like DJI Go does? I usually have a guy with me that likes to run the camera while I fly with the other remote. Or will my camera operator have to open DJI go to move the camera while I operate the Drone?

I'm a little confused now. If you've got two operators why are you using any auto pilot (in general) app for this motorcycle operation? It's kind of like setting cruise control in bumper to bumper traffic. I don't know if AutoFlight Logic has dual operator support. I don't think that it does because in essence, the app becomes the pilot and leaves you to operate the camera [in many cases].

Well, I think it is possible be it complex. You will have to try out several scenarios or strategies. But it should be possible to drive with a vehicle behind the subject and have the I1 follow you with an offset that places it next and above the subject, or even in front if you will. You can operate the camera with the joysticks while the app is flying the bird. But be ready to take control at any time when something goes wrong. Make sure you set enough height for trees ect. If you shoot in 4K you can crop out if you need.

And please, ALWAYS have an extra observer (who knows what he is supposed to do) watching the drone AND the surroundings. This follow me stuff is pretty immersing, looking at the screen, trying to keep the subject centred.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan