Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lost signal and crashed

Reaction score
While vacationing in Hawaii, 3 flights in with me issues at all, suddenly today at the beach getting ready for sown spectcauilar ocean shots I lost signal and control.

So got to the beach, found a nice place with no sand take off from , started up the motors, lifted off and hovered at 5ft when suddenly I lost signal on the iPad and lost control of the inspire 1, the wind pushed the bird back into a bushy area behind from where I took off from. Took about 20mins to retrieve the bird from its a bushy hillside location due to razor sharp palms. Nothing broken and everything intact! So lucky! Started it up when I got back to the hotel and no errors or anything weird.
Took it out to open area for a test flight, did a calibration and flew it for 20mins with no issues at all.
Important to note, I didn't calibrate the bird when I lost signal because I flew not to long before. The imu values were within-operating paremeters.
Why do guys think?

Strange..... Even if you lose total iPad connectivity, the Inspire will remain fully controllable.
I assume you are running the latest firmware.
Although you say you had only calibrated a few mins earlier did you check your sensor mod values prior to this take off?

I'm hearing more an more of these incidents. I'm not a seasoned flyer. I have been flying since last spring, owned a Phantom Vision Plus and Phantom 2 with GoPro, and have only flown in GPS mode.

What I'm hearing (I think) is...when we are flying in the GPS mode and there is a sudden loss of control, we should quickly move the switch on the back of the remote to the middle ATTI position and hopefully regain control this way? And that we should be ready to make this switch quickly.

To that end, it would probably be good for us less experienced flyers to practice flying in the Atti mode in a big open field?

Thanks

.......To that end, it would probably be good for us less experienced flyers to practice flying in the Atti mode in a big open field?

Thanks

That's a very sensible approach to take, not just because of the current GPS/Atti bug but because GPS reception can drop at any point in difficult terrain or bad weather conditions etc.

It is a good idea to get VERY comfortable flying in atti in all orientations.
Practice flying nose in as well so that it becomes instinctive rather than 'having to think about it'

I'm hearing more an more of these incidents. I'm not a seasoned flyer. I have been flying since last spring, owned a Phantom Vision Plus and Phantom 2 with GoPro, and have only flown in GPS mode.

What I'm hearing (I think) is...when we are flying in the GPS mode and there is a sudden loss of control, we should quickly move the switch on the back of the remote to the middle ATTI position and hopefully regain control this way? And that we should be ready to make this switch quickly.

To that end, it would probably be good for us less experienced flyers to practice flying in the Atti mode in a big open field?

Thanks

You do not lose control. No need to switch into ATTI, it automatically puts the craft into atti for you. For the OP contact DJI they will request the internal flight log to see what happened.

Thanks...I thought I had read posts indicating we needed to physically move the switch to the atti position.

In your opinion, do you think it's OK to continue flying or would it be more prudent to wait until the next firmware update comes out that will hopefully address this issue? I'm in Ohio and we are probably about 3-4 weeks until things start to look really nice here. I've been flying just to keep my "chops" up, but there is really very little worth shooting.

I didn't just loose gps, I lost all control.
Blade, I'll contact dji when I get back home to LA on Wednesday.

Thanks...I thought I had read posts indicating we needed to physically move the switch to the atti position.

In your opinion, do you think it's OK to continue flying or would it be more prudent to wait until the next firmware update comes out that will hopefully address this issue? I'm in Ohio and we are probably about 3-4 weeks until things start to look really nice here. I've been flying just to keep my "chops" up, but there is really very little worth shooting.

If you can fly in ATTI then it should be safe to fly.

Agree with other posters here. ATTI mode all the way... I spent some time flying the bird that way in the wind, just to get used to it. I also have the simulator set up with a heavy wind so I can practice ATTI that way as well. That said, I had a few scary moments where I snapped it back into GPS mode, and it stopped promptly.

I've also been practicing on a little Dromida Kodo, with no GPS, and no stabilization at all, all winter. When I got onto the I1 in ATTI, it was a breeze :)

I had a total loss of control accident a while back and I am still being screwed by DJI and the Local vendor.

I have made a formal complaint to the Fair Trading department over the issues with DJI and the Local vendor.

My Inspire 1 refused to take any control input other than power and for unexplained reasons there were no flight logs from the Inspire 1. DJI need to get the support systems working because it is currently useless.

It wasn't an atti issue, I had no control video nor controls! If it was atti, I would have control of the bird.

You do not lose control. No need to switch into ATTI, it automatically puts the craft into atti for you. For the OP contact DJI they will request the internal flight log to see what happened.

how do you get out the internal flight log? someone please tell me.
thanks.

for my part, I have started to learn flying drones on a different system where I don´t have ATTI mode, in fact the ATTI mode here is the "normal" there and you even have to hold the throttle to stay at height... :)

but it is an advantage. try not only to train nose in but also nose sideways. when you practice do this on a wide open space and then slowly go into more places where you have do not have so much space and are a bit stressed but still are able to do the tasks.

just my 2 cents :)

how do you get out the internal flight log? someone please tell me.
thanks.

for my part, I have started to learn flying drones on a different system where I don´t have ATTI mode, in fact the ATTI mode here is the "normal" there and you even have to hold the throttle to stay at height... :)

but it is an advantage. try not only to train nose in but also nose sideways. when you practice do this on a wide open space and then slowly go into more places where you have do not have so much space and are a bit stressed but still are able to do the tasks.

just my 2 cents :)

Fire up the app and craft Click on the mod button>Advanced settings> Enter flight data mode(black box for iOS), Once in flight data mode connect the craft to a computer via the rear usb.

Fire up the app and craft Click on the mod button>Advanced settings> Enter flight data mode(black box for iOS), Once in flight data mode connect the craft to a computer via the rear usb.

i found the answer on the official dji forum in the beta testing thread... i got it done but could not join the group :( i will keep an eye out for next time... if hadn't have the **** issue with my account i'd be in...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207