Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Low altitude drift

Reaction score
On a recent shoot with Inspire1 and X5, I was troubled with significant drift at low altitude, at 3-10 feet above the ground. Forward stick movement resulted in the craft flying diagonally left 10 to 15 feet off course, and yawing right. After travelling about 20-30 feet, it would fly straight on its new course, which was now 15-20 degrees to the right of the planned course. All was calibrated, including sticks, IMU, compass, and all firmware updated. Minimal wind.

I kept chalking this up to ground effect at low altitude, but in researching this I came across this post:

"That of course doesnt mean that yours isnt something else. If in doubt, fly in atti in a warehouse with no moving air, a drift of 1 - 1.5ms is acceptable, anything more may suggest a problem. If you have a problem, yaw the craft 180 degrees, if it still moves in the same direction relative to the room then its airflow, if it still moves in the same direction realtive to the craft then its a problem with the craft."

I don't have a warehouse to fly in, sadly. If I read this correctly, in analyzing this problem, I should try to fly left or right (and backwards too) to see if the problem persists in those lines of travel? What do those results tell me?

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen