Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Low Battery: Be VERY cautious

When I started with electric RC trucks (coming from "gas" powered) I did not know much about battery care. I'm embarassed to admit that more than once :confused: I used a battery one time, over discharged, and had to junk it in one use.... So I schooled myself on care. I urge everyone to learn from MY mistakes...

. Do not leave your batteries sitting fully charged or fully discharged for more that five days. This kills the life of the battery. I know the DJI batteries have internal balancing capabilities and do not allow an over drain but even at the lowest voltage they can get, long term storage at either extreme is bad for your battery.

Good advice.

What percent to you long-term store? I've seen some sites say 20%, and DJI's advice is 30% to 50%....

Good advice.

What percent to you long-term store? I've seen some sites say 20%, and DJI's advice is 30% to 50%....
Lipo's ALWAYS around 50% (approx 3.85v per cell) for long term storage and a cool environment. Packs sitting at full charge for long periods will increase their internal resistance and not perform well when heavy current loads are asked of them,

I try to leave them at 50%

I set my discharge to 3days as well

Ok, so let's assume I go flying on Monday, all my batteries are down to around 25%. I don't plan on flying again for another week. I should then charge them back up to 50%, or would they be ok at 25%?

Ok, so let's assume I go flying on Monday, all my batteries are down to around 25%. I don't plan on flying again for another week. I should then charge them back up to 50%, or would they be ok at 25%?
In that situation...(I would rather be overly careful with $200 packs), I would charge them to 50%..... Just pop them on the charger and as soon as the third light on the battery starts to flash take them off of charge. (I started off by popping them in the Inspire after that, and firing it up to confirm that they were at circa 50% but I trust the magic green lights now enough to know that as soon as that third one starts to flash - stop charging and that will be at 50%).
The absolute max I leave my batts fully charged is 2 days.... usually I charge the night before I am going to fly. I have my auto discharge set to 3 days.
In fact...... I have 1 TB47 and 3 TB48's on charge right now..... Weather is good tomorrow and very little wind !!!!!:p:p:p

Last edited:
SUPER IMPORTANT HERE PEOPLE!!!!!!!

This was answered in the other RTH thread. You probably touched the "A" stick. That stops the ascent and it goes directly home from whatever height that is. This will be addressed in the next version of the firmware.

Thanks Ed for the clarification and also the hope that this will be addressed.
On my recent RTH incident the first thing that was apparent was NO ASCENSION but I can guarantee that as I was frantically trying to cancel it I 100% hit the A stick. Luckily it was traveling in a direction where I had time to manually ascend it before it slammed into anything!!

Just like blade I ALWAYS leave mine at 50% if I store them for more than just a couple of days whether that means charging them to 50 or discharging them.

So say you need to fly almost everyday. What's the best way to handle this? We have a total of 4 batteries at the moment and use the Inspire just about every day weather permitting. Thank you!

So say you need to fly almost everyday. What's the best way to handle this? We have a total of 4 batteries at the moment and use the Inspire just about every day weather permitting. Thank you!
Charge them the day/evening before! I always check the weather and wind report the day before I'm going to fly and if it looks pants I don't charge my batts the night before.
It helps I have four chargers that speeds things up a bit. :)

we live in Dallas its beyond frustrating right now here. It will literally say sunny and not clouds for tomorrow. We wake up to rain and a cloud layer. lol crazy!

I guess I'll charge them each night. Then the next day just run it in the garage at a hover and run each bat down to 50% and finally park it. I ask this because at 40% yesterday I got a critical battery alarm with no other signs of anything previously. Not even the RTH alarm or low battery which I have set to 20%. It just insisted on landing and had to fight the thing all the way to the ground where it finally ended up hitting the front strut hard enough to cause that shock cylinder to leak oil. It's not a critical part but still the entire thing freaked me out.

Understood. Thanks for the translation! "English, a common language separating to two like peoples." (referring to the Brits and Yanks)
Oh yes....... But I love it over there (it's just nobody can understand me:p).
Not sure where in the Sunshine State you are located but we spend a lot of time in Cape Coral.
Am over again in July and am seriously toying with the idea of bringing the Inspire as a passenger this time. Will have to check it though so will have to be a Peli case as that's all I will trust to survive the wrath of baggage handlers!!!:mad:

Am over again in July and am seriously toying with the idea of bringing the Inspire as a passenger this time. Will have to check it though so will have to be a Peli case as that's all I will trust to survive the wrath of baggage handlers!!!:mad:
I've had good luck checking the standard issue DJI I1 case as carry-on. Fits fine in the overhead bin. You can't legally (with restrictions) put the batteries under the plane anyway. Safe travels and love the forum. So much good info.

I've had good luck checking the standard issue DJI I1 case as carry-on. Fits fine in the overhead bin. You can't legally (with restrictions) put the batteries under the plane anyway. Safe travels and love the forum. So much good info.

Agreed, 4 flights in the last week and not had a single issue with overhead storage. All variants of the 737, so your mileage might vary on a smaller commuter jet.

Agreed, 4 flights in the last week and not had a single issue with overhead storage. All variants of the 737, so your mileage might vary on a smaller commuter jet.
It fits but it don't fit by allowed carry on size. First/business cla$$ ticket should be no problems just don't check any bags if they see the i1 suitcase at the counter it's a 50/50 chance they not gone allow you to carry it on. It's busine$$ not personal:D
I just strip my i1 down and carry it on F the strange eyes. Ive got a terrorist look, frequently fly and been thru it:mad:

Or come early check your bags go back out get the i1 and go straight in!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg