Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

LUTs for the Inspire

Reaction score
Website
www.to-vp.com
I'm not sure how much LUTs are used in the professional realm of editing but for some of us just learning color correcting and grading video I find them pretty useful as a starting point and finishing point. A company called Ground Control recently released a LUT pack for Inspire and P3. I have no affiliation with the company but do own the gopro LUTs and they've been great. Here's the link to the product and a video in case anyone was interested. Falcon LUTs for DJI Inspire 1 & Phantom 3

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Looks really good! I love being able to see the before and after. I've been following this tutorial I found for final cut pro users.

Also a question for the OP, do you change your camera settings when you're planning on using one of the different LUT's? And if so, do you change them differently per lut you plan on using? Some of the best inspire footage i've seen was done by "scooterlam"on the dji forum. I use his camera settings:

"These are the settings I use when I want the most out of my footage.

Manual Exposure
4K/30
1/60 shutter (adjust ISO as needed)
LOG
Sharpness -1, Contrast -3, Saturation -3

This will give you the best color gradeable footage however you need to be experienced in color grading to work with this style of shooting. The settings above will give you very ugly flat boring image, initially....then once you grade the footage correctly the scene comes to life. Try experimenting with LUTs (look up tables) which are like presets to use as a basis to apply a "look + feel" to your footage.

I use LUTS and my own grading in my footage to give it a cinematic look.

Last edited:
Looks really good! I love being able to see the before and after. I've been following this tutorial I found for final cut pro users.

Also a question for the OP, do you change your camera settings when you're planning on using one of the different LUT's? And if so, do you change them differently per lut you plan on using? Some of the best inspire footage i've seen was done by "scooterlam"on the dji forum. I use his camera settings:

I don't change my settings per LUT. I use the log to rec 709 as a starting point then adjust accordingly. From there I may add one of the grading LUTs to finish it but not always. From my understanding getting your exposure correct seems to help the most and backing off the on sharpness, contrast and saturation in camera. I use basically the same settings as you quoted from "scooterlam".

Reactions: Soflms
Sorry for the necropost, but color grading has been giving me fits lately. I'm a tad colorblind so I'm pretty reliant on the scopes, LUTs, and calling my wife in to take a look at the footage.

At any rate, I noticed yesterday during post that the footage I shot looked too red after applying the LUTs. The LUTs I have call for -1/-3/-3. Sure enough, I checked the camera settings and they were reset from 0/+3/+3 (I found out that Maps Made Easy changes the settings).

My question is, do the LUTs rely on a specific set of camera settings? Could the jacked up saturation have accounted for the awful looking footage after applying the LUT?

Sorry for the necropost, but color grading has been giving me fits lately. I'm a tad colorblind so I'm pretty reliant on the scopes, LUTs, and calling my wife in to take a look at the footage.

At any rate, I noticed yesterday during post that the footage I shot looked too red after applying the LUTs. The LUTs I have call for -1/-3/-3. Sure enough, I checked the camera settings and they were reset from 0/+3/+3 (I found out that Maps Made Easy changes the settings).

My question is, do the LUTs rely on a specific set of camera settings? Could the jacked up saturation have accounted for the awful looking footage after applying the LUT?
The settings on the camera are for specific LUT's thus so you wouldn't have to dial in any correction after applying the LUT in an ideal world (most LUT's do need a bit of after tuning). But you're somewhat free to adjust these camera settings to your own liking, as long as it is in LOG. It only means you have to correct things after applying the LUT. So you can dial back the saturation a bit after applying the LUT.

Reactions: tbarnesarc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop