Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Magnetic storm forecast

I think it would be very useful if the DJI Pilot App display the current KP Index (and maybe warn if too high), if it has an internet connection.

Surprised you were brave enough to fly today. Your I1 could have flown off into a crowd of people. These geomagnetic storms are no joke. But I suppose there always has to be someone.

Folks, do us and the UAV industry a favor - don't fly if the KP index is going to be 5 or more. Its not like a snowstorm where you are advised to stay indoors. It should not be optional if you decide to fly a radio controlled aircraft. Helicopters/Airplanes have advanced avionics coupled with trained pilots to deal with this space weather. We don't. We complain that DJI has firmware bugs thereby making our aircraft unpredictable at times. But flying in these conditions is just plain dangerous.

I think it would be very useful if the DJI Pilot App display the current KP Index (and maybe warn if too high), if it has an internet connection.
good idea, maybe Jim can integrate it into his app that is due to release soon once dji and apple sort out their issues on aproving...

Reactions: JimPA
Great idea, since we're talking about adding data fields, why not also display the compass mod values in real time? Again, have the values turn red if they are out of spec.
i am on my phone and can not find the thread at the moment... some could add this to the beta testing autopilot thread where Jim is with us and ask if that is possible to do and if yes in which version it might be available... i don't think its a five min job... :)

Hello guys, Im using k-index monitor in my android, today I download Magnetology for my ipad but I have diferent info, in magnetology has 6 in k-index monitor 1, I use k-index for about a year and never has an accident, but today I have the doubth wish is better because they show totally different results, aorry for my english

Jose

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on a query I have regarding the K-Index. My understanding is that there is the K-Index (for a specific region or location) and the Kp-Index (an average and planetary wide value).

I'm trying to get my head around the terminology, but the gist of it to me is, the K-Index is for a particular location and changes based on the time of the day you're looking at the value (night vs day)......but the Kp-Index is an average of many areas so is more representative of the general space weather conditions around the planet at any time.

If these assumptions are correct (please correct me if I'm wrong) my questions are:
1) Do we need to look at both the K and Kp values when determining whether or not it's a good day to fly?
2) Will a locally low K-Index value for the region you're in make it safer to fly even if the Kp-Index is much higher?

Reactions: qbizzy
Just my two cents,
the KP index is an indicator of the geomagnetic disturbance that you can expect. This would affect a magnetometer in a drone.
there are also solar flares. rated in C,M and X class. These are much more important, they can knock the GPS constelation for six and really cause some serious increase in GPS error on the ground.

I have suffered complete GPS loss during a C4 event before, even receiving serious interference on the old 35mhz link that we used at the time, enough interference to command the drone to move.

I used to use an app called "solar information" which was great, but it seems to have stopped. If anyone knows a decent app that is linked directly to the nasa space weather updates I'd like to know about it .

My '2 cents'... I have never suffered any effect on my P2 and Inspire flown in several 8's. Still factor it in on my risk assessment though, but low score.
kp8? That would be the geomagnetic effect,

Try flying in an x8 ;) youd probly get skin cancer

As a beginner who thinks (thanks to this forum) to understand the background and importance of KP index for flying: shouldn't this be premier knowledge to everybody flying? Consider myself lucky and learning lots!!!

Tks Theo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla