Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Map Pilot now has Terrain Awareness

The Terrain Awareness functionality is an in-app purchase of the latest version.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

I still don't find any in-App purchase possibilities - at least in my version of Map Pilot and I am confused as "@license pilot says exactly the opposite "....the feature is part of map pilot..."????

I used it today and it worked like a charm (Inspire Pro, 12 mm Oly, 80 m flight altitude, max terrain elevation difference 40 m). I so happy to have this feature available, as my country is very hilly and it was always an issue.

..., I don't belive there will be any notable trade off,....
If you have hilly terrain flying without terrain awarness at 60m would get variable GSD (with X3) between 2.6cm/pixel and 5.2cm/pixel.

With terrain awareness you would get a fairly constant 2.6cm/pixel...much higher resolution...a notable gain I would think!

Obviously bigger sensors is good. I have flown with a Sony A6000 on my Inspire and with careful planning and good GCP's it can work, but that's not what this thread is about.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Caution for anyone thinking this is terrain "avoidance". At 30m (90+ feet) apart, the data points can mask a LOT of undetected topology changes.
Agreed, much caution is needed with this, it is not a cure all easy fix for avoiding hills! Mapping at 30m is not common though. 60-80m more usual and even 120m for a lot of my work.

Low level/terrain awareness can be dangerous for your AC unless properly planned, it is depending on downloaded data which might have a large +/- deviation in accuracy. Still a big plus overall though.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

I still don't find any in-App purchase possibilities - at least in my version of Map Pilot and I am confused as "@license pilot says exactly the opposite "....the feature is part of map pilot..."????

If your app is updated, tap the top of the screen where the small white text is beside the go back button(the text that tells you your battery readout). It will open a bunch of new options like overlap management and another in-app purchase for dng photos. Tap the terrain button and it should bring up the purchase instructions.

I have been testing and using this feature for a little over a week and it is pretty great. I get the odd app crash sometimes but the Map Pilot guys seem to sort these issues out pretty quick.

What would be great is if they could allow the user to bring in their own elevation data through mapbox. I map mine sites and the topology changes dramatically over the years.

Reactions: rapakiri
aa5751c0b0108532a32337319526a26a.jpg

Just a word of caution based on experience from a mapping mission yeaterday using terrain awareness. It was fine for the first part of the mission, I could see it rising and falling. Then it steadily kept going down. I aborted the mission a few metres above the ground. It should have been at 60m!

Attachments

• Close call.JPG
    Close call.JPG
    854.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
View attachment 9566
Just a word of caution based on experience from a mapping mission yeaterday using terrain awareness. It was fine for the first part of the mission, I could see it rising and falling. Then it steadily kept going down. I aborted the mission a few metres above the ground. It should have been at 60m!
crap!! thanks for sharing!

View attachment 9566
Was this using the Map Pilot App or some other terrain awareness App? Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but it was a bit unclear in your post.

Was this using the Map Pilot App or some other terrain awareness App? Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but it was a bit unclear in your post.
I thought it was kinda obvious as I posted in the 'Map Pilot now has Terrain Awareness' thread. Can't make it much clearer :)

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Last edited:
I thought it was kinda obvious as I posted in the 'Map Pilot now has Terrain Awareness' thread. Can't make it much clearer :)

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified
Like I said, sorry if it was a dumb question - but you don't mention Map Pilot in your post. Just wanted some clarity.

Btw. did you abort the mission by switching to Atti/GPS or aborted in Map Pilot? And was the reaction to the abortion quick? Just checking in a case it happens to me. Thanks

Btw. did you abort the mission by switching to Atti/GPS or aborted in Map Pilot? And was the reaction to the abortion quick? Just checking in a case it happens to me. Thanks
Aborted by switching to GPS. Reaction was instant. I reflew the mission on a new battery but without Terrain Awareness and it recommenced at the position I aborted it at. Never ceases to amaze me how cool that is.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Aborted by switching to GPS. Reaction was instant. I reflew the mission on a new battery but without Terrain Awareness and it recommenced at the position I aborted it at. Never ceases to amaze me how cool that is.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified
Thanks, those are very valuable infomation. I haven´t had any problems so far with Terrain Awarness, but I will be more cautious for sure.

Just a bit of an update on my above post.

What I think has happened is due to the TA elevation data must positionally not be that accurate compared to the actual position of the aircraft. Off to one side in reality was a steep slope into a valley. I think MP assumed it was over the valley and dropped in height to maintain what it thought was a consistent above ground level of 60m when the AC position actually was still above the valley side.

For this type of low level steep terrain mission I will now have another observer more central to the flight mission area who can keep me updated by radio as to any auto deviation of flight level that could create a risk. Again for steepish terrain like this I now think 60m is too low. Future missions will be at 80m+.

It's all about learning. Hope it saves someone else's bacon!

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Just a bit of an update on my above post.

What I think has happened is due to the TA elevation data must positionally not be that accurate compared to the actual position of the aircraft. Off to one side in reality was a steep slope into a valley. I think MP assumed it was over the valley and dropped in height to maintain what it thought was a consistent above ground level of 60m when the AC position actually was still above the valley side.

For this type of low level steep terrain mission I will now have another observer more central to the flight mission area who can keep me updated by radio as to any auto deviation of flight level that could create a risk. Again for steepish terrain like this I now think 60m is too low. Future missions will be at 80m+.

It's all about learning. Hope it saves someone else's bacon!

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified
Can Terrain Awareness be switched/toggled off in the MP app David?

Can Terrain Awareness be switched/toggled off in the MP app David?
Yes. It prompts to choose Terrain Awareness just prior to uploading the mission to the AC and a further acceptance (legal bit). If it's not too rugged and there is plenty of height then it works reasonably well.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44