Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mapping with I1Pro

Reaction score
Website
www.martinezaerial.com
Been mapping with great success with the P3P but regardless of how carefully I calibrate the X5, I cannot get properly focused images (using Map Pilot and MME). Anyone has any tips? The P3P makes great geomaps but no such result yet with the I1Pro.

Spare me the smart aleck replies, please.

Hi. Looks like you're using the DJI stock lens. Aperture at the time of exposure was recorded as f/2.2. If you can specify an aperture to the app, I'd suggest f/5.6 or f/8.0 I've found that wide open or really stopped down, the stock lens was soft. f/4 to f/8 seemed to be the sweet spot.

Not familiar with your mapping app - but is sounds like it doesn't handle focus? If that's the case, you might try manual focus and infinity at f/5.6 or f/8.0.

Hi. Looks like you're using the DJI stock lens. Aperture at the time of exposure was recorded as f/2.2. If you can specify an aperture to the app, I'd suggest f/5.6 or f/8.0 I've found that wide open or really stopped down, the stock lens was soft. f/4 to f/8 seemed to be the sweet spot.

Not familiar with your mapping app - but is sounds like it doesn't handle focus? If that's the case, you might try manual focus and infinity at f/5.6 or f/8.0.

Not sure about the capability of the app to handle aperture, but there is no way when the app is invoked to take control of the focus, I set the lens to auto in advance but perhaps it is better to set to manual and infinity, I' ll try f/5.6 and f.8 next time. Thanks.

Reactions: SanCap
Not sure about the capability of the app to handle aperture, but there is no way when the app is invoked to take control of the focus, I set the lens to auto in advance but perhaps it is better to set to manual and infinity, I' ll try f/5.6 and f.8 next time. Thanks.

You can't tap on the screen to focus like DJI Go?

I see the P3P very sharpened compared with the Inspire. Camera setting I mean.
Try raising the sharpening in the I 1. Besides working on lens sweet spot

I am not familiar with Map Pilot either. But if there's really no way to control focus within that app then you might try using a lens that lets you disable autofocus, like the Olympus 12mm. It supports this via an easy to miss ring on the barrel of the lens; slide it to reveal focus setting marks, and you've also disabled autofocus. So you could prefocus the lens as usual, disable auto focus on the lens itself, and then fly your mapping mission under Map Pilot Control. Of course Map Pilot might balk at using the lens in this setting, so this is just speculation, and finding a way to exercise proper control while using Map Pilot would clearly be preferable.

Just in case you don't already know the ins and outs of depth of field control, especially while using a camera like the X5, I recommend this article: Understanding Your Camera’s Hyperfocal Distance. It does not mention the X5, but the concepts presented there are relevant. Specifically, your P3P is not "prefocused on infinity." It is prefocused at its hyperfocal distance, so that a wide range of distances are acceptably in focus, including infinity. If you want to use your X5 in the same way from a focus perspective, you can focus it at its hyperfocal distance too, which varies depending on the focal length and aperture you are using at the time. And, of course, there are times when it is more appropriate to focus somewhere other than the hyperfocal distance, depending on your needs. The article referenced above does a nice job addressing that too.

Here are a couple of additional ideas just in case they apply here:
Pics sometimes look blurry for reasons other than bad focus: motion blur caused by shooting with too slow a shutter speed, non optimal aperture (between f5.6 and f8 are usually good), artifacts from shooting at an excessively high ISO, especially after applying noise reduction, which can really soften images.

Finally, sharpening X5 DNGs in post, which is preferable to using a high sharpening setting while shooting, can help a lot.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: licensed pilot
Thanks, David. Am familiar with the basics and depth of field (I can take great shots via DJI GO) The issue with the app is that it takes all camera settings' control away from the operator during mapping flight.

Am working with MME to resolve this...I do appreciate the tips...others are not reporting focusing issues, a few are. So I just need to work on my techniques..

If the app is actually messing up the focus, consider setting focus to infinity and then slide the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF. (In other words, set MF in DJI Go, tap on infinity, then slide the switch on the lens.) Don't forget to slide it back whenever you go back to normal flying.

If the app is actually messing up the focus, consider setting focus to infinity and then slide the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF. (In other words, set MF in DJI Go, tap on infinity, then slide the switch on the lens.) Don't forget to slide it back whenever you go back to normal flying.
Tried that, worked great. Thanks.

It's been my experience that - regardless of automated flight app - you have to set up the camera in the DJI Go app first. Since the DJI Go app can conflict with other apps, I then CLOSE the DJI Go app and open the other app. All the settings are persistent. They will remain the same until you change them in the Go app. You can even change a battery in the bird and the camera setting will remain persistent. Otherwise, whatever app you happen to use will just use whatever settings you have.

FWIW, I find that WB "Auto" settings can't quite figure out the ground's WB, so the color temperature shifts all over the place. For sunlight, I set WB to 5200K. If you want "warmer" photos, got to 5700K.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide