Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mars 58 (parachute) on Inspire 1

Hello Hercules_One! I will try to answer your question if I understood it well! ;)

For the mounting, the system is located under the aircraft at the rear, as Opale Paramodels is used too, in order to face any situation.

I think you will have more answers about that in this video:

For the trigering, it is possible with a 2,4 Ghz receiver, so will need an additional remote control. It works with every PPM Module (Pixhawk, Arduino...)

Hello Hercules_One! I will try to answer your question if I understood it well! ;)

For the mounting, the system is located under the aircraft at the rear, as Opale Paramodels is used too, in order to face any situation.

I think you will have more answers about that in this video:

For the trigering, it is possible with a 2,4 Ghz receiver, so will need an additional remote control. It works with every PPM Module (Pixhawk, Arduino...)
Thank you CottonClub, are those pixhawk and arduino DIY solutions or is a ready to use? How much that solution would cost aprox? :)

Thank you CottonClub, are those pixhawk and arduino DIY solutions or is a ready to use? How much that solution would cost aprox? :)

Humm I don't know well how pixhawk and arduino works, maybe an expert could say more about it?

It's ready to use solutions, you can buy those modules and connect the servos to it, but I don't know if those module work without a receiver (in that case, wold that avoid the need of a second remote-control?)

Found this on the internet:

Parachute | Copter

Interesting, will investigate further, thank you very much Cotton.
Also, waiting for the supposedly upcoming video from Opale of an inspire 1 test (they said it would be released soon, how long is that, no idea).

There's another one cheap parachute system for Inspire - Парашютный модуль DJI INSPIRE 1
it's only $118
also for another $104 you can buy Stop Flyaway and have complete set of independent safety system. In case of problems you press the button on Stop Flyaway rc and it stops the copter and releases the parachute.

I actually can't understand how do all of those chute systems (mars, opale..) activate? If from original Inspire RC then why do you need to use them if you have your Inspire under control? The safety system must be activated in case of loss of control, so original rc will be useless in that case and separate rc with alternative channel is the only one way to stop the drone and eject the chute, isn't it?

Personnally, I don't like those Mars parachutes, it looks great at first sight, but I know there's a problem of sticky parachute?? Anyone heard of that? because I don't want to spend so much money for something that don't deploy correctly. And I think for that price, you can find something more reliable than this.

So CottonClub, have you had experience with these chutes; I mean if you have supporting data for your claims I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say let’s hear it. Because first you say there is an issue with them sticking and then you ask if it's happened to anyone!

Yes you are correct they are expensive but the way I see it, it’s a fraction of a new bird and great piece of mind! All I'm saying is give the company a chance; recovery systems on SUAV's is a new technology and I'm sure like anything else they will refine it and before long no UAV flying will be without one!

any updates on the Mars 58 parachutes? I am looking at to buy one, has anyone installed this on their Inspire?

Ok I have finally bought the Inspire mounting plate, Mars 58 and Mayday. I have just finished installing it and here are my first observations. I made the purchase because we suffered a recent accident with a prop coming off so really a bit of a panic decision - paying a total of 614 euros for the kit.

First the mount for the Inspire for 170 euros is a few bits of self-assembly plastic, a carbon fibre plate and two carbon fibre supports to fix the unit to the Inspire. They are assembled using supplied bolts into (self tapping!) pre-drilled holes.

Once assembled attached you then have to re-thread the parachute into the case and this is where your problems are likely to start. After some searching I found the (poor quality) video on how to refold and insert the parachute into the container. Three people (all experienced technicians) and a few hours later we managed to stuff the parachute into a small enough size to actually get the lid locked down. This is almost impossible to do single handed as you have to press the package in against a spring greatly stressing the base of the unit attached to the aircraft - in fact I'm sure at some stage unless you have someone to support it, with the amount of force required to insert the chute it will eventually just snap off.

The other problem is that the only way of securing the whole package into the tube is with a single hex key slotted through two holes in the top. Again almost impossible to do on your own. Also there is a great danger of damaging the chute as you do it as it is such a tight fit. Maybe this will become easier with experience but for a unit which costs 430 euro this is one of the worst engineered 'user friendly' designs I have seen in a long time. Perhaps someone will make a 'tool' that assists with the spring compression

The Mayday unit attaches simply with some velcro and is easy to setup after downloading a firmware update. I'm using a 1S lipo which seem to work well.

After the struggle, on the plus side the whole unit is reasonably light and looks good on the back of the aircraft but does obstruct the back LED.

Is it worth the money? If it saves your aircraft, of course it is but I would certainly look around for a cheaper option - this kit is hugely overpriced.

Reactions: rapakiri
Overall
Ok I have finally bought the Inspire mounting plate, Mars 58 and Mayday. I have just finished installing it and here are my first observations. I made the purchase because we suffered a recent accident with a prop coming off so really a bit of a panic decision - paying a total of 614 euros for the kit.

First the mount for the Inspire for 170 euros is a few bits of self-assembly plastic, a carbon fibre plate and two carbon fibre supports to fix the unit to the Inspire. They are assembled using supplied bolts into (self tapping!) pre-drilled holes.

Once assembled attached you then have to re-thread the parachute into the case and this is where your problems are likely to start. After some searching I found the (poor quality) video on how to refold and insert the parachute into the container. Three people (all experienced technicians) and a few hours later we managed to stuff the parachute into a small enough size to actually get the lid locked down. This is almost impossible to do single handed as you have to press the package in against a spring greatly stressing the base of the unit attached to the aircraft - in fact I'm sure at some stage unless you have someone to support it, with the amount of force required to insert the chute it will eventually just snap off.

The other problem is that the only way of securing the whole package into the tube is with a single hex key slotted through two holes in the top. Again almost impossible to do on your own. Also there is a great danger of damaging the chute as you do it as it is such a tight fit. Maybe this will become easier with experience but for a unit which costs 430 euro this is one of the worst engineered 'user friendly' designs I have seen in a long time. Perhaps someone will make a 'tool' that assists with the spring compression

The Mayday unit attaches simply with some velcro and is easy to setup after downloading a firmware update. I'm using a 1S lipo which seem to work well.

After the struggle, on the plus side the whole unit is reasonably light and looks good on the back of the aircraft but does obstruct the back LED.

Is it worth the money? If it saves your aircraft, of course it is but I would certainly look around for a cheaper option - this kit is hugely overpriced.
Overall I think Opale is a cheaper and better option, folding is easy with practice and one man can do it. Also, I personally don't trust mayday, but that's my opinión. Prefer a remote trigger.
Can you do a deploy test with your setup?

I'm using a 1S lipo which seem to work well.
Check if the servo will work with 1S. Mayday board may work even with 3.3V but servomotor will need 5V. If less then it won't have enough power to open the mechanism.
Currently I have finished working on the fall detector board, will release soon.

Thanks afx for the advice, to be honest I hadn't thought of that - I'll upgrade to a 2S as I also don't want to be changing the Mayday battery after every flight. The only reason I bought the system was that I wanted a auto system that did away with the mouth open 'what's going on' reaction moment; although I appreciate a remote trigger being more reliable that leaves you in control.

Reactions: afx
I appreciate a remote trigger being more reliable that leaves you in control.
I have exactly same opinion that's why I prefer to use Stop Flyaway. But in some cases you have no time to press the button.
Today I have tested my own fall detector, will do some cosmetic things and will release to the market. It works same as Mayday but costs less.

Thanks for the video, but completely biased, or not well executed. The first test was with motors on, hence not free falling and not able to inflate the parachute. The second was operator error of not pulling the trigger, or was mayday?

"completely biased"

I agree. Here in France, the Inspire must be equipped with a parachute if you want to fly professionally. I bought this one and I am very satisfied as I have never had to use it. :D
It's pricey (euphemism spotted) but it's the best solution imo.

Parachute / coupe-circuit INSPIRE

It's pricey (euphemism spotted) but it's the best solution imo.
Have you ever try it? One thing I have noted on video, on the last part it shows Inspire with legs lowered, however in flying mode legs are in upper position and when you land with parachutes the lowest point is gimbal and camera. No matter how much parachutes you will have on your Inspire, the gimbal will be damaged when landed on it. As for me I see this video kinda suspicious.
I have my own parachute modules for I1 but I always ask guys to connect parachute's rope to the bottom of Inspire, so in emergency it will land upside down and the gimbal will not touch the ground. Also parachute is deployed to the back side of Inspire to turn it upside down.
And price of 1990€ is unreal high. I must raise my $113 to $1113 :))
Can you take some pictures of how this system is installed on your Inspire?

Have you ever try it? One thing I have noted on video, on the last part it shows Inspire with legs lowered, however in flying mode legs are in upper position and when you land with parachutes the lowest point is gimbal and camera. No matter how much parachutes you will have on your Inspire, the gimbal will be damaged when landed on it. As for me I see this video kinda suspicious.
I have my own parachute modules for I1 but I always ask guys to connect parachute's rope to the bottom of Inspire, so in emergency it will land upside down and the gimbal will not touch the ground. Also parachute is deployed to the back side of Inspire to turn it upside down.
And price of 1990€ is unreal high. I must raise my $113 to $1113 :))
Can you take some pictures of how this system is installed on your Inspire?

Hey man, do you have any video of your system on Inspire? And does the 75" parachute slows down drone much better than 50"? Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG