Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Milton Keynes Snow Day

Yes I am familiar. I learned about all that from this very helpful post. CAP 722/393

Just out of interest. My post count and joined date have both been called into question today.
a - Do I need "X" amount of posts to voice my opinion on this site? (irishsights says so)
b - would you have asked if I was familiar with CAP 722/393 had I joined this site yesterday, last week, or last year??
A - No
B - Probably, but as new joiner specifically you may possibly have not been aware of the UK laws regarding UAV's.

Easy chap, I did not call you a troll :)

What I did do was connect the dots to previous post you made calling a guy out for posting that someone's flight path was questionable, then you doing the same exact thing to Andrew here on this thread. (you should have thought about the PM function sooner) ;)
I found it funny and was not calling YOU a troll, (just describing your post calling Andrew out). :)

Question for Andrew ..... :)
My snow pictures tend to get washed out, what settings were you using?
I'm going to acknowledge all the other posts and take them on board, but I'm not going to comment on them.

Camera settings though I'll talk about all day :) the shots from camera were all grey and under exposed. I shot jpeg for these, no colour setting, auto ISO and 0 exposure. I try to shoot the flatest (exposure) image I can knowing that I'll get the "look" I have in my head in post when I take the image into lightroom.

In lightroom I bumped the exposure up a stop and gave it a bit of clarity slider exposing the whole image correctly, but blowing out the actual snow in the image.
I'll then adjust the high light slider until I'm happy with the "whiteness" of the snow.

Hope that makes sense if not PM me and I'll take some screen shots etc of my sliders in lightroom.

I'm going to acknowledge all the other posts and take them on board, but I'm not going to comment on them.

Camera settings though I'll talk about all day :) the shots from camera were all grey and under exposed. I shot jpeg for these, no colour setting, auto ISO and 0 exposure. I try to shoot the flatest (exposure) image I can knowing that I'll get the "look" I have in my head in post when I take the image into lightroom.

In lightroom I bumped the exposure up a stop and gave it a bit of clarity slider exposing the whole image correctly, but blowing out the actual snow in the image.
I'll then adjust the high light slider until I'm happy with the "whiteness" of the snow.

Hope that makes sense if not PM me and I'll take some screen shots etc of my sliders in lightroom.

You can also just over-expose 1/3 to a full stop. It's counter-intuitive, but digital sensors read the whiteness of snow to be grey -- overexposing in-camera will preserve more highlights. There's some good documentation of this here:

Digital Camera How-To: Shooting Snowy Scenes - CreativePro.com

Reactions: AndrewH
:) the shots from camera were all grey and under exposed. I shot jpeg for these, no colour setting, auto ISO and 0 exposure. I try to shoot the flatest (exposure) image I can knowing that I'll get the "look" I have in my head in post when I take the image into lightroom.

Thanks, that was very helpful. :)
I will tone it down a little while shooting and bring it back in post, thanks again
Gene

Reactions: AndrewH
Andrew, I am only pointing this out in case you didn't know, if you did know then forget my post as you said you are pretty happy. The laws of UK are very clear about flying over congested areas not just houses and there are distance limits too. Check it out yourself. Here's a snippet of the Air Navigation Order:
Article 167 (1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:
(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

Congested Area – Is defined, in relation to a city, town or settlement, any area which is substantially used for residential, commercial, industrial or recreational purposes. Permission from the CAA must be obtained to operate in a congested area if it is likely you will be required to operate within the minimum distances specified with in Cap166 and 167 (see CAOSC)

Please don't get me wrong here, I am not brow beating. On the forum we generally encourage folks to fly within the laws of the country they live in. These are laws in the UK just as much as driving laws...so this is meant kindly, just for your information.

I do like the photos all the same.
You know what... Just mind your business and live and let live. Enough!

Reactions: Andreas
Just a few *shots from this mornings flight.

3052bebcb36f5cd3a648674376ea07b7.jpg

37e05b8236a6981277d85b8f8fc32db4.jpg

8813ad1a3cf7266c9bb8cf2a9c28da83.jpg

bad632a1075f635bb28c397d20761abf.jpg
Nicely done!

You know what... Just mind your business and live and let live. Enough!
Dexter, there is no argument here! So 'live and let live' is way out of what this thread is about. It's not about you telling me to mind my own business it was about the extremely high risk of drawing UK policing authorities attention in the light of an almost identical flight in Scotland where there were charges brought.

If I can help a fellow pilot avoid such situations then I will.

You can only mind your own business, not tell somebody else to mind theirs.

This thread had a satisfactory outcome, much to @AndrewH relief. It's ended!

EDIT: @AndrewH, me and my fellow @IrishHeights have all had a virtual group hug...we are good!

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
You guys really need to chill out all this hooha over a few pictures, very petty

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaisyBanue