Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mississippi legislation banning drone photography

Reaction score
Website
terrylowe.com
Hi, there is a proposed bill in Mississippi that would ban unmanned areal photography.

Representative Morgan proposed an almost identical bill last year and it died in committee.

Here is a copy of his bill for this year.

Here is a copy of a letter I sent to the legislative committee last year

Here is contact information for the committee considering the bill and for the writer.

I plan to update my letter from last year and make multiple contacts again.

If you are a Mississippi flyer, I would appreciate your getting in touch with your legislator and with the members of this committee.

Give it another 50 years and you are not allowed to leave your house, for security reasons (of course).

Guys what is happening in the US? Sounds like you are ruled to death slowly...

Reactions: Terry Lowe
Part of the motivation for banning drones is coming from various business interests that fear environmental types may use it to catch them polluting. A few years ago in Texas, right next door to Mississippi, an environmental group flew a drone past a ranch and caught the rancher dumping agricultural waste into a river -- shortly thereafter the local legislature enacted rules to prevent people flying drones around such places.

When money's at stake the politicians will bend over backwards reaching for it...

Brian

Hi, there is a proposed bill in Mississippi that would ban unmanned areal photography.

Representative Morgan proposed an almost identical bill last year and it died in committee.

Here is a copy of his bill for this year.

Here is a copy of a letter I sent to the legislative committee last year

Here is contact information for the committee considering the bill and for the writer.

I plan to update my letter from last year and make multiple contacts again.

If you are a Mississippi flyer, I would appreciate your getting in touch with your legislator and with the members of this committee.
Will he outlaw google images, I don't recall anyone asking my permission to make aerial photographs of my home yet there it is on Google maps, will individuals with cellphone cameras posting to social media be likewise regulated? Same tech minus ability to fly but there's an order of magnitude more cellphones.
We fly sUAS's representative Morgan is a Drone, it's his lunacy that should be outlawed.

Will he outlaw google images, I don't recall anyone asking my permission to make aerial photographs of my home yet there it is on Google maps, will individuals with cellphone cameras posting to social media be likewise regulated? Same tech minus ability to fly but there's an order of magnitude more cellphones.
We fly sUAS's representative Morgan is a Drone, it's his lunacy that should be outlawed.

Precisely!

Brian

I touched on some of this in my letter to him last year. In that letter is a link to a radio interview he gave on the topic. Makes me cringe when I listen to it.

Actually, imaging collected by satellite for the purposes of mapping is explicitly allowed in that ridiculous bill.

This is getting soooo crazy....... I am to the point that I am just going to fly as I like and if any one has a problem......we can hold court in the front yard.

I'm thinking that the push for more UAV legislation is based on the desire to appear to be in control of whatever the media deems important that day. We all know that the media has painted this hobby in an extremely negative light, so legislation has to save us all, right?? o_O

Reactions: Talon Six
I'm thinking that the push for more UAV legislation is based on the desire to appear to be in control of whatever the media deems important that day. We all know that the media has painted this hobby in an extremely negative light, so legislation has to save us all, right?? o_O
So sUAS operators make a united front, on one day, one hour we all put our crafts into the air

Unfortunately that would give the tin foil hat crowd their "See! I told you they were everywhere!" moment...

I agree with Terry's assessment of the situation.
And exactly which legislators are sUAS sUAS friendly? I'm awaiting the movie "Drone Madness" Scorpions recently aired their UAS scare episode. I believe we keep flying show we have the same responsibility as motorcyclists jet skiers cell phone users etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thulasisree