Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

More lens repair fun - Olympus 12mm

Reaction score
Hot on the heels of my success in ressurecting a DJI 15mm comes the tale of an Olympus 12mm f2 prime lens.

This lens came as part of a crashed Inspire Pro - both the Inspire and the X5R mounted to it took the brunt of the impact. I wish I'd taken some pictures of it. I don't have any, but here's the state of the aircraft:

t600.1.jpg

I put the lens on my Olympus PEN test-mule camera which reported a lens error on a black screen - definitely unhappy. The lens itself had hit the ground on one side, severely crumpling the filter ring, smashing the body frame of the lens meaning that the manual and autofocusing were bust and the lens itself did an impression of a concertina.

Having stripped it down, it was clearly not something that was home-repairable and realistically I doubted Olympus would bother as the damage was that comprehensive. I'd heard conflicting reports of their lens-repair service so didn't know quite what to expect.

Nevertheless, the lenses and electronics were okay so I started an out-of-warranty RMA to get a quote. Two weeks later, Olympus got back to me with an estimate - £100 to replace 14 components, to do the work and ship the lens back from their main repair centre in Portugal. Pretty good for a lens that owed me nothing.

Sure enough, it's back today and works like a champ.

I'd highly recommend going to the effort of getting a quote if you're unlucky enough to have a crash-damaged lens. You could be pleasantly suprised not only at what's possible but also at how affordable it may be to put things right. This comes on the back of a very positive and affordable out-of-warranty repair experience by DJI on an X3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen