Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Motor overload. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety

Can I assume that the motor overload error is also related to the error message propulsion output is limited to ensure health of battery. I get both. Will the firmware update address these two messages. If the overload error can instruct the craft to land it's quite a serious technical glitch and important to fix. Notice the message does not indicate which motor is overloaded not helpful is it

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

I will need to check now to see if the motor overload issue I have experienced started from November. My overload warnings do not appear to be related to anything battery specific. The message normally gets triggered when I am hovering and want to increase height. The instant the throttle is pushed forwards up pops the message.

Reactions: Thomas Sylvest
It happened to me as well with a TB48 65% charged, i will test with a fully charged one, before the update I never got the message, and none of the motors seem to be hot, please let's keep us informed if it's really some issue with the update...

OK, to put it basically......
The motors are driven by the esc's by way of square wave pulses to accelerate/decelerate them.
Since all motors also act as generators, when the motors decelerate they produce a current (back emf) which can be detected. (It also assists in the rapid braking on the I1).
Since the flight controller knows what signal it is sending to the esc's and the esc's produce the drive pulses, if the firmware detects that the back emf isn't corresponding to the deceleration (or acceleration) commands being sent then the FW will throw up an error.
Unfortunately, the DJI coding chimps have overdosed on bananas again and made the algorithms a little over zealous in throwing up the 'error' message - this should be tweaked in the next FW release which is not too far away.

It almost seems like they deliberately put in a new gremlin every update, that they 'address' in a next update. Just so that everybody keeps updating to the latest. It has been done many times before in the software industry.

I am sure that the motor overload status detection was already in the firmware since the very beginning (it was already in the NAZA-M firmware 3years ago) but it just never generated a message in GO. The message suddenly started to appear after a GO update in my case.

My old Phantom1 always, starting halfway in the flight, showed an occasional red blink (motor overload warning) on the tail light when I gave it full throttle. In colder weather it happened even earlier. I could (and still can) fly for another 5 to 8 minutes until the first slow low warning blinking came on. I think this is just the same.

@The Editor
So if I would want to get rid of this overload message I just have to upgrade to a firmware that doesn't comply with emergency procedures in my OM? :p Mark, do you know if anything else changed in the latest FW? Still the CSC delay in there? Sorry if that would let us stray off topic. No information from DJI about anything they 'fixed' in this firmware except addressing a Z3 HDMI out issue that I never encountered.

The overload message is annoying and distracting. The first few times I immediately broke off the flight, stopping my operation right there. But it seems it's only a message about something we can't influence or do about, nothing else. DJI probably had too many warranty issues with long range FPVers.

Ergo, 'motor overload' is information overload.

So if I would want to get rid of this overload message I just have to upgrade to a firmware that doesn't comply with emergency procedures in my OM?

Talking about OM, that overload message would be something we have to mention and describe in our OM, in the ground station section. Since the message is also logged in the flight log (and it is in almost every logged flight since november 2016) it will always show during an incident investigation. Even when it means nothing, it is still a warning that is neglected by the PIC.

IMO, DJI is making very calculated moves to destabilize the industry, as they are one of the few with the money to stay afloat. Corporate espionage is far from outside the Chinese wheelhouse.... especially given the current political climate...

Interesting bit of info... I was looking at the NORSE map the day the update released, and there was some serious attacks happening between China and the US/UAE.

Can I assume that the motor overload error is also related to the error message propulsion output is limited to ensure health of battery. I get both. Will the firmware update address these two messages. If the overload error can instruct the craft to land it's quite a serious technical glitch and important to fix. Notice the message does not indicate which motor is overloaded not helpful is it

I think you're right.

It is just that the voltage under peak load is dropping under the warning threshold. Every flight controller is able to detect that. The warning threshold is related to the critical battery warning threshold you set in GO, at least that's what I expect (please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't tested this).
Under peak loads it is normal that the voltage drops slightly below minimum. As long as it's not constant it is OK. Just be aware that you're about halfway in energy capacity and slowing it down a bit will help to make it home if you're far away. If you get this message while beating a strong headwind, heading for home from very far (you shouldn't anyway) be prepared for a change in undies.

24417eede7e266ff1bf27022656e817b.jpg

They have an info section that explains better than I could, take a look around the site, it's one of the more reputable sources for mass attacks.

Reactions: Skyward Imaging

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84