Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Multiangle live concert shot with DJI Osmo's

Reaction score
Please find enclosed a multiangle concert clip filmed mainly with 2 DJI Osmo’s on small tripods, located on the stage.

The Osmos were connected to 2 Wireless Dualband Repeaters, enabling me to remote-control the cameras on stage even in large venues while being physically located at the main mixing board with the main cam and sound recording device.

Networks were hidden and broadcasted on 5.8Ghz to avoid interference with the 2.4 Ghz wireless audio equipment plus mobile phones from the visitors.
Overall, video signal from the Osmos was OK, with occasional loss of image, however cameras remained controllable throughout the concert.
The sleep mode is a neat feature to turn them on before to show and not to drain too much of battery life upfront.

I’ve choosen the Osmos due to weight, size plus full motion and camera settings control features in one app. Overall, I am quite pleased with the experience, for sure there are better low light cameras, but to have a 3 axis stabilized multiangle system in your hand luggage becomes somewhat priceless when flying to a different city every day.
Battery life could be better for sure, for a support act / 40 minute concert it was just right, but for longer shows the system would need at least one battery change in between.

Recorded in 1080/24p
Third cam used was a Sony DSC-RX10 MII
Sound recorded with ZOOM H6, one stereo feed directly from the main mixing board and one stereo feed with the ambience and audience

Reactions: damoncooper
Sounds like it.

Pretty cool to have the ability to change angle - but please don't do it during the shots, the abrupt start/stops just look horrid.
A real control stick would be needed there.

Could you elaborate more on what your set up was? Did you have a smart phone connected to each Osmos in order to connect to the network?
Yes, I had/have a dedicated Wireless Repeater and Smartphone connected to each Osmo. I used 5.8 GhZ band for the wireless network and hidden SSIDs. There were over 3000 people in the venue plus all the wireless music equipment, so I was not sure about how much interference I would get, standing about 75 meters away from the stage. But connection and camera control was pretty stable with the occasional loss of live video feed.

Yes, I had/have a dedicated Wireless Repeater and Smartphone connected to each Osmo. I used 5.8 GhZ band for the wireless network and hidden SSIDs. There were over 3000 people in the venue plus all the wireless music equipment, so I was not sure about how much interference I would get, standing about 75 meters away from the stage. But connection and camera control was pretty stable with the occasional loss of live video feed.

Thank you. I'm confused how you are receiving the signal. are you editing multicam in post? How are you controlling the cameras remotely

You control the cam from the phones (tap and hold, scroll). He obviously edited after the fact, wasn't a live mix.

Thank you. I'm confused how you are receiving the signal. are you editing multicam in post? How are you controlling the cameras remotely
it is as Kilrah mentioned, this is not a "live mix" but cut after the show from 3 video streams and 2 audio streams.
the data was recorded on the onboard MicroSD card, the Osmos were connected to two wireless repeaters broadcasting a hidden wireless signal to two iphones which I used to control the cameras during the show.

it is as Kilrah mentioned, this is not a "live mix" but cut after the show from 3 video streams and 2 audio streams.
the data was recorded on the onboard MicroSD card, the Osmos were connected to two wireless repeaters broadcasting a hidden wireless signal to two iphones which I used to control the cameras during the show.
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry that I'm still confused. I understand how the Osmo works; so you used four iPhones? the two iPhones on the Osmo, and then from wherever you are you have another pair of iPhones that connect to the Osmo iPhones? Is it a native app to connect an iPhone remotely to the already iPhone controlled Osmo? Thanks!

I am going to try this same idea out for a concert production in two weeks. What kind of wifi repeater did you use, and how did you go about repeating the Osmo signal? Just manually input the wifi network's info?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela