Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My battery's temperature is -56.1 degrees!

Reaction score
Last night I discovered I had a dead TB47 battery. Rather worrying with my RPQ-s fight assessment in nine days time and only one working battery. Without going into detail, after reading the forums and getting other advice, I took the top off, unplugged the little battery, waited an hour or more, put it back together and thankfully I had some lights blinking. I felt relieved, even though the lights were odd and blinked constantly.

I discovered there was a firmware update so I thought I would use this to "reset" (?) the battery. I tried charging the battery first but it didn't seem to be doing anything. I put the battery in the Inspire and it sounded like the firmware updated (and the text files confirmed this) but when I switched everything off and on again I had a "Low Temperature During Discharge" message, saying my battery was minus 56.1 degrees (!!), "the battery was not suitable for flight" and I should "warm it to five degrees celsius". So I then left the battery on charge for two hours. It had just one light double-blinking constantly. However this light continued blinking the same when I eventually unplugged it, and again there was no evidence any charging had taken place.

Next I tried putting the battery back in the Inspire to fly and run it down to zero, but it wouldn't let me because it was still saying the temperature was too low! It said the charge was 76% but I knew it could not be more than 18%.

As I was typing this, it suddenly dropped to 7% and then over a few minutes to 1%.

I am now trying to charge it for a third time but again it is just the topmost of the four lights giving a double blink around every second, as before, and I am not convinced it is charging. Dare I ask - has anyone else experienced anything like this or understand what is going on?! Can anyone suggest how I can fix it and get it working again ? The battery has done 22 flights I think, without any problems.

I have discovered a double blink on the fourth LED means the room temperature is not right for charging - I am guessing the charger also thinks it is -56 degrees ! What can I do?

Send that battery back for replacement... its temperature sensor is likely dead.

I have at least now got LED1 flashing as if it has just started charging, but it has been like that for a long time. The charger is cold whereas I would expect it to be hot.

It's still not charging then.
I've had a battery flashing that way for a while then turn off require a few disconnect/reconnect cycles from the charger until it started charging, that was after leaving it discharged for a couple of weeks. No other oddities though.
Given the strange temperature readings on yours I wouldn't risk it and definitely never use it again as is.

Thanks for your post, I can certainly see your point. It is such bad timing. I was told there are no stocks of TB47s in the UK at present, and I have a flight assessment next week so that is why I am so desperate to get it working. It has just switched off again having made no progress, so I have started it off again. I know the charger is working as I just did the remote controller.

Try to find another battery (possibly borrow one if you can't buy one and get it shipped in time?), and if you can't just be honest and straight and say you have a 2nd battery, but as it did the strange things you mention you do not feel safe flying with it.
This is exactly what a decent examiner/authority should expect form you. These things will happen, and under the "safety first" motto the right thing to do is not to insist / risk anything. If it means postponing the assessment then so be it.

YouTube streaming? Anybody know the latest, when it might be available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slave Video Lag? Video feed looks great on iPad Air Master, but lags on our IPad 3mini. Everything updated. Any suggested tweaks? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your post, I can certainly see your point. It is such bad timing. I was told there are no stocks of TB47s in the UK at present, and I have a flight assessment next week so that is why I am so desperate to get it working. It has just switched off again having made no progress, so I have started it off again. I know the charger is working as I just did the remote controller.
Would you be happy with a TB48?

What about -> http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/dji-inspire-1-lipo-battery-tb47-4700mah-1623-p.asp
Or.... -> http://www.heliguy.com/inspire-1-tb47-battery-4500mah.html

That is strange because it was quadcopter.co.uk that told me on the phone today that they were awaiting new stock.

Have you tried the new battery firmware update? I was monitoring the battery info when this was updating and my temp went to -286 in red then went back to normal, give that a try before swapping it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool