Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My first long range Inspire run

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a total of 4.5 hrs of flight time (3.5 hrs on a P4, and 1 on the inspire). As I was heading back from a flight in Malibu, all packed up, I saw a sailboat and remembered I have one TB48 battery left.

I estimated the boat to be 2 miles away, a little worried that I might lose the drone over open water but I figured YOLO. Better lose the x3 than the x5. So I threw the battery in, calibrated the drone, and went for it.

The drone flew 13,000 feet with my range extender on before I started getting intermittent video signal cuts when I started flying it around the sailboat. I was able to bring her back safely with about 48% battery left. I then saw a speeding yacht and chased it down, and was able to start bringing the inspire back at 28% and landed her with about 18% battery left. The drone was flying almost full speed the entire time, roughly 40mph against strong wind towards the sailboat and back.

The footage below you can see when the inspire is going around the sailboat there is a cliff in the far distance - that is where I was at.

Pls excuse my newb editing skills (iMovie lol). The operating skills is minimalistic since I have only had my phantom 4 for 10 days and the inspire for 3 days.

All shot on the x3. Now I'm confident in flying the inspire over long distance as long as it's over somewhere without people and with direct LOS.

I'm pretty sure at almost 2 miles away there's no way you had line of sight. Personally, I'm not sure I can see my inspire in the sky beyond 1800ft and mine is black. If your inspire is white, I know you didn't have line of site. I'm just saying! You have some decent footage here and as most of us do we rush to put it up because we're excited. I think some color grading/matching is needed here and I know you have to fix that horizon.

I'm pretty sure at almost 2 miles away there's no way you had line of sight. Personally, I'm not sure I can see my inspire in the sky beyond 1800ft and mine is black. If your inspire is white, I know you didn't have line of site. I'm just saying! You have some decent footage here and as most of us do we rush to put it up because we're excited. I think some color grading/matching is needed here and I know you have to fix that horizon.

I just meant flying straight out and straight back from the ocean. Definitely couldn't see it beyond 2,000 feet or so. But it was directly in front of me and towards the water so I felt safe (in terms of not being over someone or properties.

Definitely gotta learn Premier. I edited on iMovie because I have never done extensive video work. My background is in photography. I just added Premier to my creative cloud so there will be a lot of leaning for sure.

Thank you for your inputs [emoji4] I appreciate it

nice shots and glad you made it back... what range extender you using? lots of helis offshore in that area, and heliports, smo approach and flight training areas, etc. there's only a sliver window in Malibu and another near pt. mugu to fly "legally." The heliport 5mi clearance thing is super lame since hotels and business towers, even ranches have heliports. c'est la vie...

Reactions: stubbienz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk