Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My inspire currently sits in 30' of water off star island in Miami.

Reaction score
Well, it Happened. RIP Little bird. I'll miss you :/ I was involved in getting the aerial shots for a music video they were filming off of star island in Miami. I had flown very tight and technical all day, pulled off several landings onto the front of a moving yacht, in the wind. And even nailed some orbit shots while the vessel was moving, and im still on the old firmware. (never even got to try out the latest release with poi and waypoints!) So, on the 8th battery they wanted the artist on the back of the boat, and then wanted an ascending cable line shot up and away, with a tilt up towards the miami skyline as the sun was setting. The boat was moving, and the wind was decent so I had to haul *** to catch up to the boat. I was planning on doing a pass by the boat, and coming around to land on the bow as usual while I was standing up on the fly bridge where I flew from all day. Well, turns out for whatever reason one of the downriggers was down (as you can see in the pic) and I couldnt tell from up top as I went to do my flyby to land. SO long story short, 400 pound test shark line will annihilate your inspire.. I must have broke just a few blades, because it went down like a wounded bird...Man those things are loud when they hit the water full throttle. Sank like a rock. Didn't even attempt to get it back. Well, here she lays. Right by lil waynes house. lol. IMG_32981.png

the one on the left is the outrigger that killed my inspire. (well, I technically did fly directly into it not noticing it was down). This really makes me think about if I would have seen it on a larger tablet screen vs the iphone 6 screen. It was unusual for it to be down, and I don't know how I didn't notice it as I took this pic right before take off. I had to turn the inspire on, then make my way to the fly bridge where I flew from so I stayed out of the shots.
20150909_151517.jpg

Insured, I hope. You going to try to retrieve it? 30' is not that deep... Can free dive that.

I've heard from 2 dji sources it's completely pointless to retrieve. It's been there almost 18 hours now. And as an avid freediver I'd easily take on the challenge if it had a point.... Is it really worth it? For some carbon arms and maybe the plastics? I'm asking because I truly dont know if theres anything that would make a trip back down there worth while. the water there is usually murky, and tons of boat traffic. mostly tours
And no. No insurance.:( I'd love suggestions on companies and how much it costs. Also, there was no dive gear on board and we were on a tight schedule. At this point who knows where the ocean current brought it

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry you lost your Inspire,but hope you got all your footage saved.

True - salt water as well so it's junk now... Sorry for your loss man :(

Accidental Damage Insurance

On that page they state

• Does not cover detachable/optional camera
I wonder if they could qualify the removable inspire camera? Also I think I might try to get insurance that covers the drone and my myself. broken window, crashing into a boat im filming etc

On that page they state

• Does not cover detachable/optional camera
I wonder if they could qualify the removable inspire camera? Also I think I might try to get insurance that covers the drone and my myself. broken window, crashing into a boat im filming etc

Yeah I do not think they mean the camera on the Inspire. More like a camera on an S1000 or some such I would think.

You work full time on this?
It looks like you are going to acquire another white bird, maybe the jobs you have in line are worth the cost? :)

Man, I really sorry for your loss. Maybe a bigger screen would have helped, maybe not.
****!
if only they made the bigger screens bright enough! I hear the nexus 7 is bright, but i'd just want to make sure it gets charged off the controller when plugged in, like the smaller phones do. I dont mean to start a whole which tablet is best thread...We have enough of those...haha And yeah, luckily its all cached into the iphone, I just have to dump it into itunes. Thank god I clicked that option.I even got pulled over by miami pd on the way home, and he let me go because he said he felt bad I lost my drone...lol

Looks like I get to take out a credit card. The work came in fast, and I'll need a backup fund...aaaaaand insurance....sigh. Man, from the tablets to the computers to the insurance this stuff gets expensive FAST! Especially when you see your inspire go down like I did...pretty terrible thing to watch. I couldnt sleep last night, kept seeing it over and over hahaha

Yes it's better than nothing but still only a crappy, blocky 720p with occasional break-ups and corrupted frames.

BTW I can somewhat share your frustration, as my colleague lost a P2 in the lake on a shoot today as well :(

I know how you feel, My bird crashed a couple months ago and get broken shock pads and the gimbal, I couldn't stop think about it, how fool I was.
Well, your case is even worse :(

Sh*t....So I should really go dive for my SD card...this is exactly why im on this forum. These guys specifically needed the 4K 24

Is @B-Scene Films correct with the 720p max res? or does it just play in 720p, but you can export it to 4k into itunes...?

Last edited:
Reactions: RJ Miller Jr
Yes, máx 720p and not optimum quality, is lightbridge quality.
I guess you need to go dive or film the whole thing again.

Do you guys think an SD card will really stand saltwater? I lost it last night, and the soonest I could possibly make it out there would be tomorrow...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian