Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA name change

I wonder if the the new Part 107 regs will stand. It sets such a low bar to the commercial engagement of what can be a high-risk activity. While I agree the the old rule was clunky and not a very good test of the issues/skills involved in drone operations, at least it was costly and time consuming enough to keep casual/non-serious users out of the biz.

Could the FAA not have found a higher standard to hold operators to? It seem that the UAV manufacturers have a huge financial stake in maximizing users/buyers. I think this low standard reflects just how powerful these interests are.

In Canada it is equally klunky, albeit in different ways. No GA lic needed, but the documentation requirement is daunting. And, similar to the FAA, Transport Canada hasn't the resources to police the industry. We are told streamlining is coming, but I sincerely hope that TC waits and watches to see what fiascos arise out of the US's lax commercial requirements before taking any similarly short-sighted steps.

May as well change the name of this section from "certified UAV pilots" to " anybody with an IQ higher than their shoe size" as that's all it'll take to get a Part 107 certificate...
You know LP I hear you loud and clear and cant agree more. I am 53 and I am willing to do all the requirements to be commercial. We have the 333 but I was scheduling my pilot training this year. I was willing to wait get it done right. Now they made it to where the skies will be full from the uncertified, inexperienced, uninsured pilot to the person who studied, spent and sacrificed competing for $100 jobs to possibly $10,000 jobs. Our attorney did make some valid points though while I was whining about the 107, one I remember the most. By the time the market gets rolling the clients will be educated to know who and what they should hire. Their demands on getting a job done right and safely will require a highly certified or experienced person. Don't know I solved anything saying this but I am hoping....:)

Reactions: Ragnar51
You know LP I hear you loud and clear and cant agree more. I am 53 and I am willing to do all the requirements to be commercial. We have the 333 but I was scheduling my pilot training this year. I was willing to wait get it done right. Now they made it to where the skies will be full from the uncertified, inexperienced, uninsured pilot to the person who studied, spent and sacrificed competing for $100 jobs to possibly $10,000 jobs. Our attorney did make some valid points though while I was whining about the 107, one I remember the most. By the time the market gets rolling the clients will be educated to know who and what they should hire. Their demands on getting a job done right and safely will require a highly certified or experienced person. Don't know I solved anything saying this but I am hoping....:)
Oh, you are right. I have a reputation and line of customers already established, not worrying about competition. I am concerned about fools doing stupid stunts under the "I'm an FAA licensed remote pilot banner" and the media reporting that little tidbit; it will reflect on everyone of us. I mean allowing 16 year old kids to fly commercially is madness.

I think it has always been the case. There are pilots out there that should not be!
What could be done is either creating an association or use an existing one that offers higher standards/courses/tests. It would be non binding of course but a certificate of accomplishment could boost status with clients.

Oh, you are right. I have a reputation and line of customers already established, not worrying about competition. I am concerned about fools doing stupid stunts under the "I'm an FAA licensed remote pilot banner" and the media reporting that little tidbit; it will reflect on everyone of us. I mean allowing 16 year old kids to fly commercially is madness.

I respectfully disagree. Some are, no doubt, but there is a lot of stellar hand eye coordination at that age.

FTR, I agree that 107 has swung the pendulum a bit too far the other way. I too worry about the possible flood of under qualified people allowed by 107. It was just the way you worded your opening statement that was a bit over the top.

I respectfully disagree. Some are, no doubt, but there is a lot of stellar hand eye coordination at that age.
I understand. I am not referring to the ability to fly a drone, my 12 year old granddaughters can fly a Phantom with their eyes closed. I wouldn't trust their decision making skill and abilities in the national airspace. It is not about the exceptionally mature 16 yoa. There are 15 yoas going to Harvard and MIT. It is about the average 16 yoa. There are no 16 yoas with commercial pilot's certificates for a reason.

I think it has always been the case. There are pilots out there that should not be!
What could be done is either creating an association or use an existing one that offers higher standards/courses/tests. It would be non binding of course but a certificate of accomplishment could boost status with clients.
Soloed in 1969, PPL in 1970, Comml in 1976. Met pilots I wouldn't trust with a kite. But we shouldn't make rules on the basis of "they are going to do it anyway."
It is the duty of the FAA to make every effort to ensure certificates only go to those qualified. 16 is way too young for a commercial pilot certificate, even UAS, imho. Associations to keep up standards are good, self policing is better. I only hope the flood of new Remote Pilots help keep up the standards by reporting those who break the rules.
The same clowns breaking the rules now are going to keep doing it before the ink on their brand new RPC is dry; you can read about it here as they love to brag.

Last edited:
Our regulator is going the other way here in Canada with a new license scheme, requirement to have "certified" aircraft and better enforcement... We'd love to have 107 here!

Soloed in 1969, PPL in 1970, Comml in 1976. Met pilots I wouldn't trust with a kite. But we shouldn't make rules on the basis of "they are going to do it anyway."
It is the duty of the FAA to make every effort to ensure certificates only go to those qualified. 16 is way too young for a commercial pilot certificate, even UAS, imho. Associations to keep up standards are good, self policing is better. I only hope the flood of new Remote Pilots help keep up the standards by reporting those who break the rules.
The same clowns breaking the rules now are going to keep doing it before the ink on their brand new RPC is dry; you can read about it here as they love to brag.
We are on the same page

Our regulator is going the other way here in Canada with a new license scheme, requirement to have "certified" aircraft and better enforcement... We'd love to have 107 here!
Unfortunately, 107 is not set in stone. After a few reckless drone jockeys misbehave, new regulation will come down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell