Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Navigating to a known position/coordinate

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to enter either a lat/long postiion or Google Earth KMZ/KML placemarker in order to be able to fly to a known point?

I have some panos to do at different positions in a large area but cannot find a way to steer the Inspire onto the exact spot.

Ideas? I would have thought this would be a basic function/setting waypoints based on coordinates.

With Autopilot from Auto Flight Logic (IOS only), you can make a waypoint and drag the marker to the desired coordinates. The coordinates pop up if you press and hold the location marker.

In the next version you can have it automatically perform a pano at any given waypoint. The pano function is still only in the beta version. But you could hop over to Dronepano, or whatever pano app you use, at the waypoint. I haven't tried this. But I expect that you can pause Autopilot at the desired waypoint, switch to your pano app, take the pano, go back to Autopilot and resume to the next waypoint.

With Litchi (Android only) you can also drag waypoints to a coordinate or type it in.

I have installed Autopilot and it looks very complicated....so many options...do you have a step by setp bullet point guide?

Thanks!

I have installed Autopilot and it looks very complicated....so many options...do you have a step by setp bullet point guide?

Thanks!
On the first view maybe yes but you could go through the tutorials on Youtube and after that it is a peace of cake. I love Autopilot and the features! Give it an afternoon to play around in a safe area and you will love it too...

Chris

Thanks!
Yeah it looks scary on first view but work through the tutorials on the website and it will become clearer.
Don't forget as well there are the different modes that can be switched from Easy/Beginner to Advanced.

Currently what you are after can only be achieved using a third party app since DJI Go does give the ability to fly to coordinates.

You will need to do more than work through the tuts. Especially for things that should be super easy because it's just not happening. You can set your flight path(s), with no issues. Controlling the camera will take practice if you plan on using it in any other mode besides joystick.

Tried looking in Litchi - didnt see any options to do so....can you show me where its possible? Thanks!

Surprised something as simple as asking the drone to navigate to a known coordinate is so complicated! This is basic airmanship! I have the lat and long, I have the KML location. Why do all of these apps including the Go app miss fundamental basics of navigation. Do they assume that the masses are so dumb that they might not be able to comprehend lattitide and longitude? What we need is a simple app that allows the user to either enter the lat/long or import a KML placemark.

OK - realised now that you dont actually do the import in teh app but via the web.....

So how now do I get it from the browser to the app?

Given up with it. Terrible web interface. Will do it by eye tomorrow. I dont trust this app - I can see my inspire 1 pro starting to take off randomly and head out to some bizaare height.

I wonder how hard it can be to actually produce an app that takes KMZ and/or coordinates.

Given up with it. Terrible web interface. Will do it by eye tomorrow. I dont trust this app - I can see my inspire 1 pro starting to take off randomly and head out to some bizaare height.

I wonder how hard it can be to actually produce an app that takes KMZ and/or coordinates.

I've tried to save flights to Litchi, in locations that I know. I save the flight see it at my house on the iPad. So I think it's been saved. Go out to the takeoff site and it's not there. So using KML data might be risky.
I'm going to try auto pilot for this, using the tutorials.

Saving a flight, JK, is weird because their icons are seem to be flipped. The top side button in Litchi is the download (recall/load), the 2nd button is the upload (save). I haven't had problems saving or uploading flights in Litchi. I have, however, noticed that the GPS locating can be off by quite a bit (guessing 20-50', sometimes much less). If you're anywhere near an obstacle, that could spell the difference between a crash or no-crash if you simply run the saved flight.

I've been trying to figure out a way to save a manually flown flight path for replay later. If it could do that, then GPS error would be minimized since your recording was manually directed the first time.

What I really mean is that even if you can enter a GPS/KML flight path directly, you're still subject to GPS error problems.

Depends how precise you want it, but Litchi on iOS works perfect for me, <10m
i did low altitude (15-40m H.) photogramm. near/besides trees (15m). went well
Plan/draw it at home and save it , before flight do a decent site check!!
Don't forget to do a 'F to A swith' and 'feel' how fast ' it ' goes and your ' flyskill ' is ;-)

In Litchi, like I mentioned earlier, you can type the coordinates in the waypoint settings. You have to create a waypoint first, then edit it.

How simple can it be?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop