Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

ND filters .. what do you recommend. link please!

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by capodrones, Jan 24, 2016.

1. capodrones

Hello again,

For those of you who use ND filters on the original inspire 1 camera, which ones do you recommend.?

thanks - joe

2. Jay Baldwin

I discovered the necessity of using ND filters in February last year during my early flying of the Inspire. I'm in the Northeast, and was flying over snow and ice and couldn't get decent video until I started using the ND4 filter that came with my original package. Since then, I did a lot of research and ordered the full gamut of NDs all the way up to 64. I have found the most useful to be ND4 & 8 with an occasional 16.

The bottom line is that you can post fix slight underexposure but cannot post fix overexposure effectively. The ND also is a key componenet in preventing Jello effects (related to exposure).
    J

3. Dr. Ifly Drones

I fly with an ND 4 almost all the time. I think a CP lens can be a worthwhile investment too.

4. Talon Six

To answer your question Joe, the PolarPro lenses work fine.

5. RaptorMan

There of my four lenses have 46mm filter threads and the one that doesn't, the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, which has 37mm filter threads, can use the 46mm filters if you attach it with a 37mm-46mm step up ring. I have four ND filters (NDX2, NDX4, NDX8 and NDX16) covering four stops. The first three are Hoya and the fourth one, the NDX16, is a Tiffen. The average price when ordered from B&H is about $18 each.

It's a good idea to also have a UV filter for those times when you do not need to reduce light levels. When shooting still pictures you generally do not want or need a ND filter as you want the fastest shutter speed that you can get with the lowest ISO setting and f/#'s in the f/4-f/8 range. Additionally, since most of the lenses are balanced with a ND filter on when you don't use a ND filter using a UV filter will tend to maintain the weight balance.

So, for my four lenses (Olympus 12mm f/2, DJI 15mm f/1.7, Olympus 25mm f/1.8, Olympus 45mm f/1.8 the 46mm Hoya and Tiffen filters work well on all the lenses and the total cost was less than $100.

Brian

6. Black Sky

SRP I have owned several brands and the Snake River N8 and N16 are the best quality and produce the best color. I use them every flight,nice shredding as well,quality control.

7. go fast

#7 go fast, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  8. go fast

Here's a pic with the blue... image.jpg you can also get the typical smoke color set with polarized UV filters and different ND stops...

#8 go fast, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Clampit likes this.
  9. Clampit

I've just started using Renaat ND filters but not given them a good test yet but check out the YT video below.