Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

NDVI and Crop Scouting with Inspire - How To?

The Inspire takes stills along a pre-programmed flight mission using geo tagged coordinates from the on board gps. Then after landing, the stills are stitched together using the same application used to send the Inspire on the original flight mission.

15-200 stills at 12mp each = High Resolution Maps

15-200 stills? Ok, I might have won the fixed wing vs quad copter argument / debate. A still from something like the i1 when it's not moving will always be better than something that is moving, all things being equal.

If your telling me your program stops for each picture so the I1 stationary I'll withdraw my opinion of a fixed wing aircraft being better. But i dont think this is the case, i dont think it stops that many times to take each picture unless your actually programming each stop into the flight plan somehow.

I think the I1 is moving along your flight mission and in fact never stops to take these stills your software then stitches together. If this is the case then a fixed wing aircraft is the way to go. If your not using the I1's ability to hover then there is zero reason to use it. your sacrificing all fixed wing advantages and gaining nothing by using a quad copter.

flight time, distance, range, risk, operation costs, ability to make repairs. A muti-dihedral powered glider could easily fly slow enough with a camera mounted on it to do the same job except far better and cheaper. i'll leave it there.

The Inspire takes stills along a pre-programmed flight mission using geo tagged coordinates from the on board gps. Then after landing, the stills are stitched together using the same application used to send the Inspire on the original flight mission.

15-200 stills at 12mp each = High Resolution Maps

You mention pre-programmed flight mission, can you please expand on the app you are using to do this

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have six (6) autonomous fixed wings. Two of them are wings, of the exact same manufacturer and design as the same five (5) digit price tag of those drone companies. The market that those companies are going for is a pure "fire and forget" system. Since they are commercial based, they can afford to charge that type of money for those systems.

Privately, yes you can build them for 2/3rds the cost. The big differences it the ongoing support, software, and equipment provided to you. Many POST-sale type of things. Does that make it right? If you are the company and the market see's those prices - then sure.

The biggest issue is that many of those farmers don't have a technical skills to pilot an RC vehicle. Combine this with not a lot of room to land a fix-wing "conveniently", it makes a Quad/Hex/Octo an ideal platform. The Inspire 1 is a great platform, as you can get into it quite cheap (relative to the market). The pricing for the camera upgrade for NDVI is again based on market circumstances.

I actually had it on my "to-do" list to give Aerial Media Pros a call on Friday - but I got busy and didn't have a chance.
The only issue preventing me from buying an additional camera for NDVI right now is the supporting software that goes with it. There are other companies that have autonomous software for the Inspire 1. The DroneDeploy stuff is unbelievably expensive. Again - it goes with what the market rates. Yet, for unlimited mapping - I don't feel like paying $1k a month for software licensing. Even their cheapest solution is more money that I am willing to pay on a month-to-month basis. Hence, the reason I want to contact Aerial Media Pros to see why DroneDeploy is required.

Thanks,
Mike

Figured this would be as good of a first post here as any. I fly cropdusters for a living... been a commercially rated pilot since 91, and have over 14,000hrs. I can tell you this for certain... a DSLR strapped to the wing of an ag aircraft will not give you the image quality you need, period. Don't talk like you know what you're talking about, because you obviously don't. And I can also tell you that if you show up at most of the farmers that I deal with and pull out some cheap *** home brewed "toy" aircraft with a DIY modified camera on it to do a job with, they'll laugh in your face and tell you to come back when you can do the job like a professional. I own an Inspire 1, and am well aware of it's capabilities.

Figured this would be as good of a first post here as any. I fly cropdusters for a living... been a commercially rated pilot since 91, and have over 14,000hrs. I can tell you this for certain... a DSLR strapped to the wing of an ag aircraft will not give you the image quality you need, period. Don't talk like you know what you're talking about, because you obviously don't. And I can also tell you that if you show up at most of the farmers that I deal with and pull out some cheap *** home brewed "toy" aircraft with a DIY modified camera on it to do a job with, they'll laugh in your face and tell you to come back when you can do the job like a professional. I own an Inspire 1, and am well aware of it's capabilities.
Who exactly are you aiming this at? I don't think anyone is planning crop dusting with the Inspire just yet lol. Sorry to disagree but mapping using an Inspire IS commercially viable. Maybe not for 1000 acre jobs though!

It was aimed at the guy who swears up and down that a small toy airplane with a home modified camera can be as effective as the Inspire for crop scouting. Never thought for a second anyone was going to cropdust with an Inspire, that's laughable. I fly full scale cropdusters and have for several years. That realm of flight for a UAV is a long ways off. But I am seriously looking at the crop scouting application for my Inspire.

It was aimed at the guy who swears up and down that a small toy airplane with a home modified camera can be as effective as the Inspire for crop scouting. Never thought for a second anyone was going to cropdust with an Inspire, that's laughable. I fly full scale cropdusters and have for several years. That realm of flight for a UAV is a long ways off. But I am seriously looking at the crop scouting application for my Inspire.
For clarity it's good to quote the post you are replying to. I was joking with you about the crop dusting! I thought it was kinda obvious. Ah well.

Reactions: Lowlevlflyer
For clarity it's good to quote the post you are replying to. I was joking with you about the crop dusting! I thought it was kinda obvious. Ah well.
Eh, I figured you were, no big deal. No harm no foul. I will remember to quote from now on as well! lol

Hi all, it's been a while since these camera mods have been available, just wondered how useful they have been to you, and any crops that are working particularly well with this setup? Any advice to getting started in agricultural surveying?

Ok, I have a question for the "learned professionals". What level of image resolution is necessary for it to be usable by the farmer, vintner, etc? In other words, what quality of image will satisfy the end user?

I'm trying not to buy a "Cadillac" when a Ford Taurus would be sufficient. The larger drones (S1000) can carry a DLSR, the Inspire is a less capable camera. Is it good enough???

Last edited:
The only issue preventing me from buying an additional camera for NDVI right now is the supporting software that goes with it. There are other companies that have autonomous software for the Inspire 1. The DroneDeploy stuff is unbelievably expensive. Again - it goes with what the market rates. Yet, for unlimited mapping - I don't feel like paying $1k a month for software licensing. Even their cheapest solution is more money that I am willing to pay on a month-to-month basis. Hence, the reason I want to contact Aerial Media Pros to see why DroneDeploy is required.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I've been looking at DroneDeploy as well. Last I saw they were still in beta testing for Inspires using Android. Nada for iOS.

Of note, PrecisionHawk just started offering processing services for other than their Lancaster platform. I believe they state "All drones", DJI included. Also expensive.

I love my inspire and do all of our mapping/surveying with it. It's fast, maps 10 acres in about 5 minutes, and drone depot lets you land, swap batteries, and continue mission. Why wouldn't you use one bird for all lines of work? That's what I love about DJI. It's like a Mac, no bs, everything works with it, and it's easy to use. The inspire is like the ar15 of drones. You can swap cameras, and literally do any work with it so I'll agree to disagree on the post of the inspire being worthless for AG work when it's literally all we use. It's way too diverse of a tool to not use as a primary tool. That's why every third party developer designs software around the inspire, phantom, and matrice. However, I wouldn't pay 750$ for a different lens in my x3, when the lens conversion takes 15 minutes and the lenses are cheap if you know what to look for.

Reactions: AMGPilot
Yep, that's the video
daddy_0.jpg

Mike, I've been looking at DroneDeploy as well. Last I saw they were still in beta testing for Inspires using Android. Nada for iOS.

Of note, PrecisionHawk just started offering processing services for other than their Lancaster platform. I believe they state "All drones", DJI included. Also expensive.

I strongly suggest drone deploy. I was amazed the first time I used it. I couldn't believe how smooth it flew by itself, and landed right where it took off. 25mph wind had no effect on smooth flight.

I strongly suggest drone deploy. I was amazed the first time I used it. I couldn't believe how smooth it flew by itself, and landed right where it took off. 25mph wind had no effect on smooth flight.
I recently looked (again) at DD and saw where the Inspire with iOS was still in beta. I take it you are using Android with it? Or are you in their beta test with iOS?

I initially wanted to go with DD as I'd done some research into it while looking at AgEagle systems for a paper. I'm currently using Mapsmadeeasy for mapping stuff. Used it last weekend with their Jan. 5 software release and it performed flawlessly. The auto takeoff was expected, but still took me by surprise. I did manually land it at mission completion from a high overhead hover over the start point.

Will be shooting 50 acres tomorrow from 350' due to the height of the pine trees.

I am really interested in getting NDVI data with my bird and will pursue it with DD when they get iOS up.
Thanks for posting the info. I like that lens conversion. Will have to look into that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla