Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need advice on whether or not taking the inspire 2 slightly apart to fit into carry on luggage

Reaction score
I am traveling for 3 days from Europe to USA, and want to bring an inspire 2 along. My plan is to travel light so I am only taking a carry on luggage. I know it's not wise to take it apart but it will save me time at the airports. Is it possible to take the 2 landing legs apart of the body? And will it fit into the carry on? Will I have problems with US customs taking it on the plane?
Appreciate some advice.

I am traveling for 3 days from Europe to USA, and want to bring an inspire 2 along. My plan is to travel light so I am only taking a carry on luggage. I know it's not wise to take it apart but it will save me time at the airports. Is it possible to take the 2 landing legs apart of the body? And will it fit into the carry on? Will I have problems with US customs taking it on the plane?
Appreciate some advice.
The Inspire 2 looks to be a little more complicated than the Inspire 1. If you had never done one before I would guess you would spend 2-3 hours taking your first one apart and maybe a little less than that putting it back together. It gets easier and quicker with practice. I am pretty sure you would spend far more time disassembling and reassembling (to get it here and then doing it again to take it home) than you would save at the airport.

Not sure about the US Customs question as I have never tried this and do not know anyone else who has either.

If you decide to give it a try, let us know how long it takes you and how much quicker you are by the time you get it home and put it together again.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice . I have also the pelican case. But perhaps its better to lose time at the airports checking it in . Rather than wasting time dis-reassembling and taking the risk something can go wrong

I'd check it in, although in theory you should have no problems with it in your carry on, with the possible exception of the blades.

It isn't common but you do see occasional reports of TSA deciding that the blades represent a hazard and need to be checked in, and given the size of the I2 blades it is I suppose more likely...

Obviously put the batteries in your carry-on even if you are checking the I2 into the hold, and protect the battery terminals to avoid the risk of a short.

On a side note, do check your insurance cover as the airlines will usually disclaim any liability for fragile or expensive electronics checked into the hold.

Appreciate some advice.
You do not say whether you are looking to operate within the US NAS commercially or recreationally.......
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

With all the recent talk about a total ban of Li batteries in both checked as well as carry on luggage I'm getting more doubtful that we will be allowed to carry any I2 batteries aboard commercial aircraft, especially from Europe to the U.S.

With all the recent talk about a total ban of Li batteries in both checked as well as carry on luggage I'm getting more doubtful that we will be allowed to carry any I2 batteries aboard commercial aircraft, especially from Europe to the U.S.

That's all it was though for now, just 'talk'.

The meetings happened and nothing changed.

There is nothing to stop it changing in the future, but there is currently no immanent threat of this happening and the I2 packs are below the current 100Wh limit so there is nothing stopping us carrying these packs.

I'm flying across country with my Inspire 1 Pro soon - checking the I Pro in it's Pelican Case but have to ship the batteries in advance since the TB48 wh is 129.96.
I can see now why DJI decided to use multiple smaller, commercial flight friendly batteries for the I2.

I fly for a TV show and travel regularly on domestic US air. I have never been questioned even with 16 batteries in my carry on. My battery case is custom with inserts for each battery. I've asked a TSA agent, and he said this also satisfied the requirement of having the contacts covered.

As far as taking the drone apart, I've never done it so I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I will tell you that I haven't had any issues with damage, and with 45 cases and over 200 shoot days, that's a pretty good record for the airlines I would imagine.
One last thing is, we always zip tie the lock holes on the cases with bright colored non-standard zip ties, so at least we know if they've been opened and that hopefully would've been the TSA. Also cases that big almost always come out through oversized baggage, so don't freak out if you don't see it with everyone else's suitcases .

Good luck with your trip!

I fly for a TV show and travel regularly on domestic US air. I have never been questioned even with 16 batteries in my carry on. My battery case is custom with inserts for each battery. I've asked a TSA agent, and he said this also satisfied the requirement of having the contacts covered.

As far as taking the drone apart, I've never done it so I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I will tell you that I haven't had any issues with damage, and with 45 cases and over 200 shoot days, that's a pretty good record for the airlines I would imagine.
One last thing is, we always zip tie the lock holes on the cases with bright colored non-standard zip ties, so at least we know if they've been opened and that hopefully would've been the TSA. Also cases that big almost always come out through oversized baggage, so don't freak out if you don't see it with everyone else's suitcases .

Good luck with your trip!
Jomandoo - what size batteries are you carrying that 16 of them do not cause issues with TSA?

I fly the Inspire 2, and DJI either by happenstance or design made the I2 batteries rated to 97.58wh. TSA limits the capacity to 100wh for rechargeable lithium, with an additional 2 batteries allowed from 101-160wh. There doesn't seem to be a quantity limit with the 100wh variety as long as it's for use by the passenger.

As this doesn't affect me, our camera batteries can exceed both those limitations. Fortunately, we have a large crew so we split up the hi cap batts.
I pasted the text from the TSA below for reference. Hope it helps, and of course if someone has a different opinion, please share.

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

Batteries must be protected from damage.

Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

Reactions: Skydog
Thanks Joemandoo - I'm using ten TB48s @ about 130wh each - I think I will have to ship them ahead of the shoot. From what I understand, you have to ship ground or non-passenger air transport.
Yes - an Inspire 2 would make air travel much more convenient (a bit ironic)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah