Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New cam tomorrow? DJI.com has a teaser now

The micro cinema camera records Prores, which is good, but is 1080p only. I don't think DJI would release a camera of that resolution. If this camera has been developed in collaboration with BMD then I would assume they have used a similar sensor to the Micro Studio Camera, which is 4K. The key thing is that they can maintain quality. Compressed inter-frame is not the way to go. We need intra-frame all the way.

Let's not assume that the sensor is of a standard Micro Four Thirds size (18mm x 13.5mm).

We are assuming this new camera was designed with Black Magic Design, so let's look at their drone product, the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera. While that camera has a Micro Four Thirds lens mount, its sensor is of the Super 16 size (12.48mm x 7.02mm). Much much much larger than the Inspire 1's sensor (6.17mm x 4.55mm), but not a full MFT sensor. A comparison of total sensor area:

Inspire 1: 28.07 square millimeters
Super 16: 87.61 square millimeters
MFT: 243 square millimeters

So a Super 16 sensor would be three times the size of our current sensor, while a full MFT sensor would be about 8.5 times the size of our current sensor.

I would call a Super 16 sensor "large enough", and given it was designed by Black Magic Design, "the best sensor we can expect to carry on an Inspire 1". Anything larger would require an S900, I think.

Gimme gimme!
It really wouldn't make much sense to utilize the MFT lens without matching it to a MFT size sensor. All that added weight of the lens without a need in terms of sensor size.

Sony a7 r2
Let's not assume that the sensor is of a standard Micro Four Thirds size (18mm x 13.5mm).

We are assuming this new camera was designed with Black Magic Design, so let's look at their drone product, the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera. While that camera has a Micro Four Thirds lens mount, its sensor is of the Super 16 size (12.48mm x 7.02mm). Much much much larger than the Inspire 1's sensor (6.17mm x 4.55mm), but not a full MFT sensor. A comparison of total sensor area:

Inspire 1: 28.07 square millimeters
Super 16: 87.61 square millimeters
MFT: 243 square millimeters

So a Super 16 sensor would be three times the size of our current sensor, while a full MFT sensor would be about 8.5 times the size of our current sensor.

I would call a Super 16 sensor "large enough", and given it was designed by Black Magic Design, "the best sensor we can expect to carry on an Inspire 1". Anything larger would require an S900, I think.

Gimme gimme!

Sony a7R II har 42.4MP på 4K-stand fullformat BSI CMOS-sensor

Airdrone, are you suggesting that the Inspire 1 could carry a full-frame Sony sensor? I own the A7RII, and it is much too heavy. And the lenses are bigger and heavier as well. And it overheats and shuts down when you record 4K for too long.

Other than that, it's a fabulous camera.

I really doesn't hope its a new Inspire 2 since i just recently bought the Inspire 1. But if those pictures can be trusted it looks as it might be a new camera, that would be nice if the price is right?
I haven't had high hopes of DJI releasing new cameras for the Inspire 1.
Well we will see in about 7 hours.

Mr Phantom, it is a new camera. There's no doubt about that fact. It's just the specs that are open to speculation.

Specification speculation. At least for a few more hours.

Let's not forget to speculate about the availability. My guess is that they will announce it as available in October, but actually ship in December.

Any guesses on how image quality will improve?
(i use it primarily for photos right now as I'm learning to edit video)

If it's a large sensor with the Panasonic/Leica lens, then I think it will be a big advance in image quality; a bigger leap than we made from the Phantom 2 Vision+ to the Inspire 1.

It won't be able to compete with a full-frame DSLR (Canon 5D Mark III, Nikon D810, Sony A7RII) with good lenses, and probably not with less expensive APS-C DSLRs (Canon Rebels, Nikon D7200). But it will be much better than the GoPro and Inspire 1 cameras.

I think.

Reactions: dpetroni1
Hmmm...I wonder what a heavier camera will do to the flight time and flight characteristics....

It will definitely decrease the flight time. But I would be surprised if they released a camera that cut flight times in half; I don't think that would be a very popular product.

It will definitely decrease the flight time. But I would be surprised if they released a camera that cut flight times in half; I don't think that would be a very popular product.

It looks heavy, but I wouldn't like a flight time much below 12 minutes!

Nor would I. But I will be first in line to trade 6 minutes of flight time for a dramatic increase in photo and video quality, which is what I believe this camera will deliver.

Reactions: RCGeeks
Based on current camera technology that you can buy, if it is a true m4/3 it will look every bit as good as ANY other sensor whether full frame (canon, nikon, black magic) or smaller given the proper amount of light. Full frame typically only gives a better image in lower light. The other factor is dynamic range, with log the gh4 can do 12 stops. You only get more DR in cameras that cost ~$5k and up. Big updates would be ability to change aperture, shutter speed, and true white balance. Codec wise, it will not be prores, simply due to required data rates that small chips can handle...unless you want to pay $340 for 128GB cfast 2 chips that are likely too big for a camera on an inspire and would give you 20 minutes of video. So more realistically and hopefully the camera will do up to 4Kp60, some 2Kp60 variant, 1080p120 or so with data rates somewhere around 100-150Mbps. It won't match full frame in low light, but it'll do a hell of a lot better than it does now and frankly the image quality is plenty good currently for most work. Heck the footage is used on CNN and other broadcast networks.

That's what I'd hope for...oh and a reasonable price...it shouldn't cost more than a gh4 body.

I think think there's any chance we're going to get 4K video at 60 FPS.

But I think you might be right about ProRes. The Blackmagic 4K Production camera does ProRes, but onto an SSD. The GH4 has proven that 4K at 100mb/second on SDXC works well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry