Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

NEW HDR SETTING??

Reaction score
Website
www.caseyimaging.com
I have a fair bit of experience with HDR with my DSLR's but the HDR setting that has come with the new firmware update doesn't make much sense to me. ie. I just seem to get multiple identical exposures of the shot. Is there anywhere I can find an explanation as to what it is supposed to be doing? The release notes just say that it is a new feature, and shooting in a HDR mode should be fairly self explanatory but it isn't to me...

I have a fair bit of experience with HDR with my DSLR's but the HDR setting that has come with the new firmware update doesn't make much sense to me. ie. I just seem to get multiple identical exposures of the shot. Is there anywhere I can find an explanation as to what it is supposed to be doing? The release notes just say that it is a new feature, and shooting in a HDR mode should be fairly self explanatory but it isn't to me...
This is the eternal problem. I don't think you will find anything written down explaining any of the new functionality. The fact that you have to press and hold the camera settings buttons to access the new options on came from picking something up on the forums. I have not yet had the opportunity to investigate these features yet myself.

I agree with you John - the HDR setting appears to just take identical shots - are we missing something?

Yes, when I heard there was a new feature ie. "HDR" I started thinking about what it could be, considering we already have a 3 or 5 shot bracket set feature which can already be used for HDR quite satisfactorily. So I switched it on and shot some aerials and when I loaded them up, I saw image files which visually are identical. I didn't actually know what to expect because if I saw a set of images that were a bracketed set, I would still be bewildered, because that would just be the same as the already existing bracket feature. So I'm thinking that this feature might just be files that are carrying something like XMP data that requires certain matching in specific software to perform a HDR procedure. I have not heard anything to this effect, but it just seems to be a stupid thing to say it is a new feature if it does absolutely nothing, and even less towards a HDR image than the already existing bracket feature. I have decided to ask someone at DJI but I have found that their photographic knowledge is somewhat less than their RC Quadrocopter knowledge. But I will try to find out how this feature works.....and if I do I will post it back here.

Great John C - will keep an eye on this thred to see if you get any information back from them

I've tried the DJI support chat line but we are dealing with absolute amateurs who totally haven't got a clue. This conversation has gone on longer than this and it just keeps getting better. The support staff have no idea what I'm talking about to the point that I'm just keeping it going to see how ridiculous it gets. A part of me feels a bit sorry for that clueless person who is just trying to answer with anything. He / she goes on telling me that she has shot HDR on the HDR setting of her phone, and that somehow is how I'm to do it on the Inspire. It's almost embarrassing Here's a transcript of the conversation so far and I think you will know what I mean :-

Hello

Hi, I've been trying to work out how to use the new HDR feature on the Inspire 1

23:15:13

Pleaes press the button of taking photos 3 seconds and will appear that option

23:16:35

Yes I know how to use it, but it appears to shoot files that are identical. I am familiar with HDR, but this one seems to do nothing

23:17:52

There are a number of us on the forum trying to work out how to use it but there is no instructions

23:19:21

Do you mean in what's space or environment can use HDR and will generate what effect ?

23:21:29

No I am very familiar with using HDR with other cameras. But the Inspire HDR just takes 2 images that are exactly the same. So I am wondering if DJI have released details about how to use this HDR feature properly

23:22:54

Sorry about that , there are no such instruction

23:24:40

So does anybody know how this new feature works? Doesn't DJI have any notes on what is supposed to happen when you choose this feature?

23:28:24

I will report this , we will strugle to add some instruction in the Manual of later vision

23:29:45

OK but in the meantime is there anybody there at DJI who actually knows how the new HDR feature works so they can just tell me on here, and I can relay to others on the forum.

23:32:09

Sorry ,sir .Could you please send me your email ? There are no engineer here ,so can't answer you directly

23:34:44

Yes, my e-mail is [email protected] When can I expect an e-mail from someone? I'm not sure it is an engineer's job to know how to shoot and process HDR. Isn't that more the job of someone with photographic knowledge?

23:37:36

You have made it the third new feature in the new firmware upgrade so surely someone there knows how to make it work. What’s New:

1. Added option to downgrade the aircraft firmware.

2. Added HD Video Conversion option in the video editor.

3. Added High Dynamic Range (HDR) shooting feature.

23:43:40

I think that option similar to use your mobile to take photo ,when you take a photo and the camera will process automatically , and then the photo you got is processed

Do you know what HDR is?

23:49:16

High-Dynamic Range is ? I have try use the phone to take a photo with HDR funtion

23:58:13

Yes but when DJI released the new firmware for the Inspire 1 a week or so ago, one of the major new features advertised was a new HDR feature - not for a phone - but for the FC-350 camera on the Inspire 1. We are now trying to get some guidelines on how to actually make this function work.

And since DJI released this feature without instructions, I thought you - the DJI Inspire 1 Product Technical Support would be the place to go to find out. So does anyone there at DJI's technical support for Inspire 1 actually know how to operate the Inspire 1???

You see, I do know how to shoot and process photos for HDR. I have done thousands of them. But now I want to try this new HDR feature on the Inspire 1 that is part of the new firmware release - not on my phone - on the Inspire 1. Is there anyone there who knows anything about the camera on the Inspire 1??

00:02:23

If you choice HDR mode in the APP ,and the picture you shot will be with HDR function .

00:05:13

OK I have done that and I have 2 files both exactly the same. What software do I now have to load them into to process those files to make the one finished HDR file?I am not confident that 2 identical files will produce a finished HDR image.

00:09:14

Few minutes , I will confirm with others ,thank you

OK

Fantastic......

Please post up the ongoing conversation.

DJI you really need to do better!

Yeah - it's struggle. They need to employ a few non Asian support people to talk to us non Asian customers. I'll say straight up - I'm sick of trying to talk in broken and illogical English when trying to carry on a technical conversation. It's hard enough talking about pretty specific issues without the person on the other end not really speaking English. Totally sick of it ! I don't care who wants to call me anything they want - it's impossible! For example, when you get " If you choice HDR mode in the APP ,and the picture you shot will be with HDR function " and "I will report this , we will strugle to add some instruction in the Manual of later vision" and " Yes , Just a picture was processed . Could you please try again ? that should be one picture" it is just words bundled together and one doesn't really know what is being said. And this is their front line assistance? They really need to employ a couple of English speaking people who have non Asian customer service principles.

Anyway it appears that if you just select the HDR option by pressing and holding the App's shutter button to open up the set of options, that is it. The resulting photograph should already be HDR processed. And they say that we should only be getting one file - not 2. So that's it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop