Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New ipad and I2

I use the iPad Pro 9.7 with I2 and I did have map pilot crash and cause a fly-away which i recovered from, I'm unsure whether this is firmware or software or IOS error, but also used this with the Phantom and I1 Pro without problem

All third party apps are flawed right now due to "bad firmware" ie: DJI's marketing plan.

The new iPad is pretty much necessary to run the newest go4 version without crash.

I use the iPad Pro 9.7 with I2 and I did have map pilot crash and cause a fly-away which i recovered from, I'm unsure whether this is firmware or software or IOS error, but also used this with the Phantom and I1 Pro without problem

You don't actually need an iPad or any tablet to fly, so the crashing of the tablet had nothing or very little to do with your fly away. I had a Go App crash and nothing happened. I simply let the I2 hover while I rebooted my iPad Mini 4, and then restarted the Go app. Took about a minute or so but the drone camera came back online and I continued on.

Anyone used the new ipad with the I2 yet? I'd be interested in feedback as I'm looking to get one...

I forgot to mention in my post, it appears that Apple and DJI sort of have a closer relationship software wise than they do with Android. iOS usually gets the updates first and appear to be more stable than the same Android version. I am using an iPad Mini 4 as my primary device with an iPhone 6S Plus as back up. Both work flawlessly. I've only had one Go app crash and it did not affect the drone at all. It just hung in the air until I rebooted the device and brought the app back online. You can't go wrong with the iPad in my opinion.

Yeah dji and Apple are best mates! I'm curious about the reflectivity of the new ipad screen and tablet weight and to see if there has been any practical experience with it yet. Ipad pro would be awesome but the wallet would prefer the ipad.
For me, the screen on the iPad Mini 4 is adequate but you may need something different.

I've got a Tab A but would like to try the larger screen. I'd also like to get a tablet that will do the job for a while in terms of tech specs. The ipad air and mini 4 appear to be at the end of their cycle so might not have the longevity I'm looking for.

I've got a Tab A but would like to try the larger screen. I'd also like to get a tablet that will do the job for a while in terms of tech specs. The ipad air and mini 4 appear to be at the end of their cycle so might not have the longevity I'm looking for.

Yes and no. Everything is more or less at the end of it's life cycle. :) I have a friend flying a Mavic with an iPad Mini 3 just fine but if you want something to last a year or more, then get the latest and greatest iPad.

Reactions: Chris A
I'm at the point of pairing all new tech for each new drone to ensure long term stability and success (long term equates to 2 years). I've fallen into the carefully laid dji and Apple trap!

You may not need to do that necessarily. I think it more so depends on the devices ability to handle the latest OS. Right now, iOS (whatever the newest is) seems to run very well on my iPad Mini 4. The moment I see some considerable lag or complications with running the OS and apps, it's time to move on. However, this is my upgrade schedule. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks. I just update a few days but could remember the new version or take the time to look it up.
Have problems also remembering so take screenshots
of all updates , upgrades and my settings so I can get em back fast. Got that from being from the Wild West .;)

You don't actually need an iPad or any tablet to fly, so the crashing of the tablet had nothing or very little to do with your fly away. I had a Go App crash and nothing happened. I simply let the I2 hover while I rebooted my iPad Mini 4, and then restarted the Go app. Took about a minute or so but the drone camera came back online and I continued on.
Not true, he was using a third partyou app... and that's part of the "issue" with current firmware and third party apps.

Yeah dji and Apple are best mates! I'm curious about the reflectivity of the new ipad screen and tablet weight and to see if there has been any practical experience with it yet. Ipad pro would be awesome but the wallet would prefer the ipad.
This is outdoors without a shade, smudges on the screen, taken with my android....

The new iPad is great in the sun!!!!
9f96ab15ed56363f00e8af3df8f742a7.jpg

Reactions: Chris A
Not true, he was using a third partyou app... and that's part of the "issue" with current firmware and third party apps.

So you are saying if a third party app crashes or even the DJI Go app (I added this), you can not fly the drone unless they are running? In the P4 and Mavic groups, they have said exactly the opposite. Some have said that you do not need the Go App except to capture video or still, or to do automated actions such as autolanding or tripod mode, etc... Please explain further.

So you are saying if a third party app crashes or even the DJI Go app (I added this), you can not fly the drone unless they are running? In the P4 and Mavic groups, they have said exactly the opposite. Some have said that you do not need the Go App except to capture video or still, or to do automated actions such as autolanding or tripod mode, etc... Please explain further.
You don't need the app at all.... but the way that the Third party apps use the SDK to write their flight controllers, the handoff between their software controls, and the hard programed flight systems of the aircraft itself can get botched. Causing what they are calling "erratic" behavior.

That's why almost every third party apps has sent out a warning through email, on the top of their pages, and litchi even updated to take those features that caused issues away from the hardware that shouldn't use it because stupid people were ignoring their warnings and still flying.

Also, I FIRMLY believe that DJI did this on purpose to take third party apps off the market, just like they did with all of their hardware competition.

Reactions: deltalimatango
You don't need the app at all.... but the way that the Third party apps use the SDK to write their flight controllers, the handoff between their software controls, and the hard programed flight systems of the aircraft itself can get botched. Causing what they are calling "erratic" behavior.

That's why almost every third party apps has sent out a warning through email, on the top of their pages, and litchi even updated to take those features that caused issues away from the hardware that shouldn't use it because stupid people were ignoring their warnings and still flying.

Also, I FIRMLY believe that DJI did this on purpose to take third party apps off the market, just like they did with all of their hardware competition.

Ah okay. Got cha...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74