Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Osmo (Handheld) Now Availible

Whining,crying ,and more whining,if you don't like prices

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Inspire 1 brochure clearly states and promotes the forthcoming handheld accessory to be used with I1's gimbal.
This wasn't just a "nice to have" feature for me, it was a major reason for my decision to buy I1 in the first place.
I would expect at least a side note to I1 owners. This is a new product, not the one we're waiting for, the camera differs, the gimbal changes, wtf? This is not an X3, this is X3+ !

I like flying and do stuff with my bird, I want also to take the camera off and use it with it's gimbal, come on DJI, deliver what you promised, "a compatible" grip version for our X3, no matter if it's called OSMO or whatever!
Have no expectations for DJI to ever live up to their promotional hype machine. The Phantom 4 is rumored to run on fairy dust. Pre-pay now.

Take a deep breath. The cameraless version will come. As will spare batteries and most likely a version with the X5's.

If im wrong and DJI decides to sell it only with a camera then that is their business decision. If you don't like what they are offering, don't buy it.

I don't know why half the posts on these forums have to always be so negative instead of embracing this very cool technology.

Its true, why wouldn't DJI allow us to use the camera with the inspire 1 since pretty much at this point people are forced to buy a Handheld gimbal with a camera that you pretty much own! so Not cool.....

Yip, zero reason for DJI to lock the Osmo X3 out from working with the i1. Except money and greed. They can and should be interchangeable to suit the clients needs.

I've been waiting for this handheld for a long time (with everyone else) but I just can't justify purchasing one with another X3 on it.

Can't see any reason (except money and greed again) for them not to sell it without the Osmo X3 immediately at launch if it i1 X3 works from launch as reported.

I'm hoping they release an X5 / X5R + Osmo upgrade - that will suit a lot of i1 owners I'd imagine. No doubt they will at a special price, 2 weeks after I purchase an X5R + Osmo :D

Reactions: Shivchal
Well i've ordered one. I have a smartphone gimbal already but it's no good when the wind catches the phone - it sends the gimbal haywire so i'm returning it. This looks much more stable. Having two cameras is a bonus to my work, not really interested in swapping cameras between devices, especially if we're using the Inspire at the same time. Hurry up DHL fairy!

Just to be perfectly clear, I did see in one of the posted DJI promotional videos for OSMO where they specifically mention I1 owners and say that their existing X3 camera will work with the OSMO handgrip. Now, whether or not DJI decides to sell the handgrip as a stand-alone item remains to be seen. My bet is that they eventually will; but at what price?

Just to be perfectly clear, I did see in one of the posted DJI promotional videos for OSMO where they specifically mention I1 owners and say that their existing X3 camera will work with the OSMO handgrip. Now, whether or not DJI decides to sell the handgrip as a stand-alone item remains to be seen. My bet is that they eventually will; but at what price?
From the DJI FAQ:
Will I be able to purchase the handle for the Osmo separately?
Yes. Please stay tuned to the DJI Official Store or contact your local authorized dealer for details.
also interesting:
Can I take off the camera of the Osmo and mount it on the Inspire 1?
No. Although the Inspire 1's camera is compatible with the Osmo, you CANNOT use the Osmo's X3 camera on the Inspire 1.
and
What’s the difference between the Osmo’s camera and the Inspire 1’s camera?
The mechanical structure of the Osmo‘s camera is handled for hand held use. The 3-axis gimbal can be flattened and locked, and the orientation of the tilt motor has been changed. There are many small changes inside the camera and gimbal as well.

I'm guessing that before the end of the year they will release the handheld unit on its own, just once they have the X5 and other products out in numbers and manufacturing has caught up (also another firmware update)
Really we already own the gimbal we're just buying a stick with battery and controller/wifi chip right?

Reactions: RotoRanger
$700? haha, what a joke, who the actual FAck would buy one of those if they dont already have an inspire/camera? There are much better ground based options with much better quality cameras if you need the entire setup, they need to sell it for like $100 with no camera if they ever plan to sell any at all, lol

History tells me that I should probably wait for the handle only option (being a DJI early adopter often means getting bitten on the ar** for it), but to be honest I'll probably bite. I have a FeiyuTech G4 Ultra and good as it is, i'm not a huge fan of the GoPro lens distortion and I much prefer the footage coming out of my X3. Being able to use it with the X5 is also very attractive.

I was going back and forth until I did the numbers... Here in Australia the X3 costs $950 and the Osmo costs $1100 (rounded numbers). There's no way DJI will sell the handle (really that's what it is) for $150, it will probably be $300 or greater.
It will work with the X5 camera which I'd like to get, but that's $4000 (with the gimbal dampener) which is more than my Inspire cost at the beginning of the year and may not be available as an Osmo bundle.
For $900 I can get a Nebula 4000 and attach my current Mirrorless which gets a better image than the X3 & X5 plus I can use it anywhere else. Since the X3 on the Osmo can't be used on an Inspire its future upgradability is very limited, if I want to upgrade next year I'd have a hard time selling a camera which can ONLY be used on an Osmo.
The price for the Osmo is comparable to a GoPro 4 Black + 3 axis gimbal (roughly $1000 AU or $1200 once you upgrade the GoPro's lens) but the camera on the Osmo can't be used for anything else!
I'm still interested in just the handle Osmo for the life of my Inspire but the current package deal makes no crazy sense to anyone with an Inspire already.

Yup, yup, NOT COMPLAINING, but I'm officially done with DJI[emoji6]! It's been GOOD, but it all makes perfect sense with the rest of world marketing.. **** on me once, shame on me, **** on me twice, well like I said IM DONE, over and out... It's been good guys for those who stick and have stuck around but like many, they iced the cake[emoji111]️! To each their own, everyone has a reason to be here and by rights you can complain, this is just plain wrong, they wronged allot of current and new customers.. Could write a book, they still built a badass Inspire 1.. For that much I'm Happy with the rest well, I'm officially moving on.. [emoji111]️it's been long awaited, and dissatisfied, so I will do what I've always done and move on to the next best thing, no need for negativity.... It's been Good People[emoji106]

I agree with James Munro and PB30X.

DJI made the Inspire 1 with a universal camera mount to swap with newer cameras and the cameras to future devices. It's ruined by the fact you need to buy bundles in order to make use of their "ecosystem"

Imagine if you had to buy a whole new car each time you wanted new tyres. It's ridiculous.

Everyone PLEASE stop listening to the hype. Take advice from reliable sources, and I hate to say most on here are not. Just be patient, please. Stop listening to anyone that inserts an opinion or hearsay...

Dangerously-offtopic response, but here-goes:

Everyone PLEASE stop listening to the hype. Take advice from reliable sources, and I hate to say most on here are not. Just be patient, please. Stop listening to anyone that inserts an opinion or hearsay...

That's easier said than done (for people as a whole, not me personally). DJI has been notoriously bad in managing expectations and making what others might consider rational decisions.

What "information" is being said or repeated that isn't based on any established fact? DJI should be addressing them head-on! It's one thing to 'be patient', but a product should NEVER be announced without the most basic of compatibility, functionality, and common-sense questions (e.g. where's the SKU for existing owners?) ready to be answered. Failing that, rumors and speculation are all people have.

I'm firmly in the "DJI doesn't owe anyone anything" crowd, but at the same time, there are so many missteps in DJI's overall business that as a customer and fan, frustrates me to see continue with every single product announcement.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpetroni1
Dangerously-offtopic response, but here-goes:

That's easier said than done (for people as a whole, not me personally). DJI has been notoriously bad in managing expectations and making what others might consider rational decisions.

What "information" is being said or repeated that isn't based on any established fact? DJI should be addressing them head-on! It's one thing to 'be patient', but a product should NEVER be announced without the most basic of compatibility, functionality, and common-sense questions (e.g. where's the SKU for existing owners?) ready to be answered. Failing that, rumors and speculation are all people have.

I'm firmly in the "DJI doesn't owe anyone anything" crowd, but at the same time, there are so many missteps in DJI's overall business that as a customer and fan, frustrates me to see continue with every single product announcement.

The way I look at it:
If a manufacturer makes a video and another company makes a video conflicting what the manufacturer said, there should not be a debate. Compatibility has been addressed and there is currently a SKU. Who ever said Inspire owners will get a 'special' edition, I sure never heard of it and we sell the most DJI products globally besides DJI.

I can understand that rumors may be all that is out there, but again I fall back on listening to reputable people that are actually in contact with DJI and can answer any questions the public may have.

The way I look at it:
If a manufacturer makes a video and another company makes a video conflicting what the manufacturer said, there should not be a debate. Compatibility has been addressed and there is currently a SKU. Who ever said Inspire owners will get a 'special' edition, I sure never heard of it and we sell the most DJI products globally besides DJI.

I can understand that rumors may be all that is out there, but again I fall back on listening to reputable people that are actually in contact with DJI and can answer any questions the public may have.
why don't they do so then? if everyone is under NDA that is reputable and knows something what sense does it make if they can not answer the questions asked by the costumer base that made DJI what it is today including me because i also bought two I1's and a **** load of batteries.
no question is that the company makes great units and innovations but as a costumer i feel left aside sometimes seeing the thing and "promises" are just put in the drawer/closet and not really taken care of to concentrate on the "new" unit that everybody will buy. like the iPhones- 6S is out and the world is in stores to go and get it for a **** load of money. unit is great but the costumer care and quality sometimes lacks.
why is DJI not addressing the compression issue on the x3, not really an issue but if the algorythm would be a bit different video quality would be much greater. why are things firmware locked although we already bought units and wait for modular systems to get ready and put in stores for us to buy and use. demand is there, no?
why aren't simple solutions likebthe latest proplocks which are safer than what we use at the moment not available yet or made available due to saftey reasons for I1 owners? it was done so with the first generation, why not with QR system that seems to fail due to premature wear.
the list goes on and on. i am lucky since i did not have (knock on wood) any issues yet and really try to avoid it and also try not to be paranoid about it and use my bird everywhere. adventure park imagefilming, over water, far far away, events and concerts, city aerials etc.
it is all about care and having the feeling it is done about you, nothing more.
my 2c

Just got a reply from DJI Sales US on my inquiry to purchase the DJI OSMO stand alone, I didn't even ask about the X5, seems like a canned copy and paste answer:

Thank you for contacting DJI North America.

It is possible in the near future the unit might be released in the future as a stand alone unit. the X-5 can be used on the "osmo".

Thank you for flying DJI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin