Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New SDK 2.4 brings new encryption (range issues?) and major system change - will you install it?

Will you install the new firmware with new encryption and major system change?

• I will install immediately when its available

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I will wait 2 weeks to see if it has major bugs

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I will wait until its proven it doesnt lower range or has new limits and will not install otherwise

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • I dont trust them and will not install it anyway

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
SDK 2.4: DJI plans a "new encryption protocol" which makes all current software incompatible with firmware expected for end of October..

However no one can foresee

- impact of range with this new protocol (is it encrypted now?)
- hidden traps and limitations and restrictions

"Modified:
1. Modified altitude and distance limitation. Enabled setting multiple limitation factors (e.g. altitude and distance) simultaneously."

Was this not possible until now? Is that the reason 3rd party apps have not been affected by distance limits until now? Will this change?

"Deprecated Methods:
1. setChannelParams
、removeSlave 、removeMaster methods in
DJIRemoteController class."

Will this have effect on manual 32 channel selection?

"New iOS & Android SDK Features:

1. Access to Main Controller’s Serial Number
2. Access to aircraft type identification
3. .......
4. New sync & download feature for the Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Professional"

At least point 1,2 and 4 I would rather see as a threat to my privacy and possible hidden limits/restrictions enforced by different parameters.

Probably new limitations will be installed automatically whenever you connect to internet with a device connected to RC and it looks like it will also pass limitations directly to the aircraft without asking.

Is this a trick to enforce several limits through firmware?

I will not install new firmware until its proven it has:

- no uncontrolled automatic update of plane firmware without user interaction
- no 500m range limit on waypoints
- no channel limits 32 --> 8
- no lower physical range limit due to new encryption
- no other hidden limits and restrictions
- no further speed limits

anyone knows more at this point?

(PS: DONT MIX UP new FW 1.05.011 with the upcoming incompatible SDK 2.4 stuff. That seems to be two different things as 1.05.011 works still with SDK 2.3)

Is this a trick to enforce several limits through firmware?

I will not install new firmware until its proven it has:

- no uncontrolled automatic update of plane firmware without user interaction
- no 500m range limit on waypoints
- no channel limits 32 --> 8
- no lower physical range limit due to new encryption
- no other hidden limits and restrictions
- no further speed limits

anyone knows more at this point?

I think you should wrap up your Inspire 1 and any other DJI aircraft and sell them. You obviously believe there is a conspiracy being imposed on you.

The SDK has been released for developers only and not for general release so most users will not be affected at this time. The SDK release notes do indicate that DJI are planning to encrypt control and/or video signals. It does not suggest that there will be an impact on range or other areas. The new facilities are opening up more of the aircraft functions to 3rd party developers.

As far as your conditions are concerned, I doubt if you will ever want to update again because none of them will be met:
  • Automatic updates are only forced if the firmware has a safety implication (the last was in Apr/May).
  • DJI have set a 500m limit on the use of DJI GO waypoints and POI.
  • The 8 channels were introduced to met international standards on the use of 2.4GHz. This won't change.
  • Encryption alone is unlikely to reduce range. It will had to processing time but is likely to improve reception as digital encoding/encryption usually improves signal rejection.
  • Conspiracy again.
  • What speed constraints? Mine flies as fast as I want it.
To answer you last point, no one know.

The SDK has been released for developers only and not for general release so most users will not be affected at this time.

That is not true. The SDK only gives 3rd party devs the opportunity to adjust theirs apps for the upcoming changes which will affect everyone no matter if using any 3rd party apps.

The new upcoming firmware which will introduce these changes will not fly with ANY older software and firmware roll back will also be impossible.

Effects from Encryption on FPV range: -10% range

Effect on FPV Range with WiFi Encryption

"Summary of results

During the conducted test I observed a 10% reduction in WiFi range from implementing WiFi Encryption between the Phantom aircraft and the WiFi repeater under our test scenario.

This was based on the result of the eight test runs where one result was ruled out (due to uncertainly of actual range)."

As I said 'at this time'. You are correct that the planned firmware update will not work with older third-party apps that have not been built with SDK 2.4. It does not mean that users will not be able to rollback firmware to 1.2.0.6. I don't have any issues with DJI working to improve the Inspire 1 through firmware. I have kept up-to-date with each new release over the past 6 months and have participated in 2 beta programmes. The company has proved itself responsive and proactive to all bug reports and suggestions. You obviously don't have this confidence so why are to registered as a third-party developer?

It does not mean that users will not be able to rollback firmware to 1.2.0.6.

What then does this mean:

"Beta RC firmware with the new encryption method is already available for testing. Once installed, the beta RC firmware cannot be rolled back to prior RC firmware versions."

You seriousely think the not Beta firmware then will be able to roll back? :confused:

The company has proved itself responsive and proactive to all bug reports and suggestions.

Who suggested them to limit speed to 54 km/h (before 70 km/h) in autonomous flight modes?

Who suggested them to put 500m range limit to waypoints, though for now its only their own software which suffers this limit?

Who suggested them to cut channels to 8 while the aircraft was built for safe operation with 32 channels? (They could have made a "Check your laws ...... do at your own responsibility window instead)

Who suggested them to limit POI to 500m range - unfortunately firmware enforces this already to all software including 3rd partys

Its all paranoia? It does not really happen? My fantasy? :oops:

Last edited:
What then does this mean:

"Beta RC firmware with the new encryption method is already available for testing. Once installed, the beta RC firmware cannot be rolled back to prior RC firmware versions."

You seriousely think the not Beta firmware then will be able to roll back? :confused:
Obviously, you are reading information that others do not have access to. Lets wait until any public firmware is released. Stop fretting and get over it.

Last edited:
When you install it, have new limits and then detect you cannot roll back you have a bricked Inspire - congratulations. o_O

Better to discuss this before.

Effects from Encryption on FPV range: -10% range

Effect on FPV Range with WiFi Encryption

"Summary of results

During the conducted test I observed a 10% reduction in WiFi range from implementing WiFi Encryption between the Phantom aircraft and the WiFi repeater under our test scenario.

This was based on the result of the eight test runs where one result was ruled out (due to uncertainly of actual range)."
Lightbridge (and Inspire Lightbridge) is already encrypted and even it it wasn't 10% reduction in range is perfectly acceptible trade off for enhanced link robustness.
What are you worrying about?
Are any of these slated changes/enhancements really going to make an ounce of difference to the effective usefulness of the platform. (Rhetorical). :rolleyes:
The changes to the encryption will make for a more reliable rf link between the TX/RX with better error handling and data packet integrity.
I would welcome anything that strengthens the bond between my ground based transmitter and my 3kg aircraft several hundred feet in the air!

Reactions: Scotflieger
When you install it, have new limits and then detect you cannot roll back you have a bricked Inspire - congratulations. o_O

Better to discuss this before.

If you want to play in DJI's backyard, you play by their rules. If you don't like the rules, play in someone else's backyard. Nothing we do or say here will change that fact. While they may be monitoring how certain software/hardware changes are being received in this community, their business model is based on optimizing their sales world-wide in an increasingly complex and fractured regulatory environment.

Nothing you have mentioned so far points to the SDK limiting 3rd parties to having future versions of their apps being limited to the restrictions in the GO app.

DJI FW rollbacks do not automatically brick the craft, unless improper procedures are used or there is hardware failure, so I don't know where you are getting that opinion from.

Nothing you have mentioned so far points to the SDK limiting 3rd parties to having future versions of their apps being limited to the restrictions in the GO app.

DJI FW rollbacks do not automatically brick the craft,

They already did like the 500m POI radius. Though 3rd party apps can be setup for unlimited they still will not work beyond firmware enforced 500m limit. While the SDK does not directly say there will be more such restrictions included in the new firmware it doesnt guarantee that there are not. I didnt say it will be but it could be so its better to be aware of this.

If I cannot set a waypoint more then 500m away and I cannot get this solved with a firmware roll back then I have a bricked Inspire.

They already did like the 500m POI radius. Though 3rd party apps can be setup for unlimited they still will not work beyond firmware enforced 500m limit. While the SDK does not directly say there will be more such restrictions included in the new firmware it doesnt guarantee that there are not. I didnt say it will be but it could be so its better to be aware of this.

If I cannot set a waypoint more then 500m away and I cannot get this solved with a firmware roll back then I have a bricked Inspire.

We have a semantics problem here: "Bricked" colloquially means not flyable, as in "does not power up," "will not respond to controls," etc. I don't think that is the usual result of a failed FW rollback. So I assume you mean that "bricked" means it is not usable in the fashion that you wish it could be/should be used.

You criticised me and the UK CAA elsewhere on the imposed 500m limit. This is the maximum reasonable distance that a person with normal unaided eyesight (except normal spectacles) can see a RPA for maintain safe collision avoidance from buildings, tress, mountains and aircraft. If you cannot see the aircraft you cannot avoid a collision and the inevitable bad press. There is no way automated flight beyond visual line of sight can be sanctioned. If is a safe compromise that DJI are following.

Reactions: The Editor
You criticised me and the UK CAA elsewhere on the imposed 500m limit. This is the maximum reasonable distance that a person with normal unaided eyesight (except normal spectacles) can see a RPA for maintain safe collision avoidance from buildings, tress, mountains and aircraft. If you cannot see the aircraft you cannot avoid a collision and the inevitable bad press. There is no way automated flight beyond visual line of sight can be sanctioned. If is a safe compromise that DJI are following.
I don't like limits.Right now here in the Netherlands they prepare to make laws for flying a "drone".This includes a 300 ft(100mtr) range and a 150 ft(50 mtr) altitude.If those limits will be here I stop flying.When I fly according these laws and anybody can buy a "drone"at any shop you can bet that these laws will be broken.You can go to Dixons and buy a "drone".
When I bought my first helicopter I was educated before I get it.I had to prove I could fly and had to know about the rules.I see more in this way.
Allready my Inspire is way slower then before.(tested over and over again).
And all for safety?
Right now my Inspire and app works fine,so no updates for me any more.I don't connect to the internet it's ok right now.

I don't like limits.Right now here in the Netherlands they prepare to make laws for flying a "drone".This includes a 300 ft(100mtr) range and a 150 ft(50 mtr) altitude.If those limits will be here I stop flying.When I fly according these laws and anybody can buy a "drone"at any shop you can bet that these laws will be broken.You can go to Dixons and buy a "drone".
When I bought my first helicopter I was educated before I get it.I had to prove I could fly and had to know about the rules.I see more in this way.
Allready my Inspire is way slower then before.(tested over and over again).
And all for safety?
Right now my Inspire and app works fine,so no updates for me any more.I don't connect to the internet it's ok right now.
What?????
I can't believe this.......!

They have Dixons in The Netherlands? :p

Reactions: Scotflieger
@huppe Those limits if adopted by the Netherlands will turn the i1 into a toy as you say. Unfortunately, our hobby/profession is generating bad press across the world. Despite what some feel the UK CAA is providing a sensible, controlled and proactive regulatory framework that, to be honest, is world-leading. Other nations have still to catch up and need to before the calls for greater constraints are imposed.

@huppe Those limits if adopted by the Netherlands will turn the i1 into a toy as you say. Unfortunately, our hobby/profession is generating bad press across the world. Despite what some feel the UK CAA is providing a sensible, controlled and proactive regulatory framework that, to be honest, is world-leading. Other nations have still to catch up and need to before the calls for greater constraints are imposed.
Yes I hope so.Like the rules in the UK.Much more sensible.Gives you room to do your hobby and enjoy my Inspire.Filming and making photo's are a big part of the fun,but I also go out and fly my Inspire for fun and trying to hold my skills.
Where is this EU when it's needed.If any country can make there own laws in this.

There are EU guidelines prepared, they include a

50m limit for unproven pilots
a control chip for government access in the drone
geofencing for limited flyzones (basically each city can declare itself a no fly zone)
and some more "features".

These limits are imposed to regulate a mass market.

But I am 100% sure this problem will solve itself: anyone who does not learn to fly and understand the drone will destroy or loose it within a few weeks. And most will not buy another one.

I think while drone sales soar most of them will get lost or destroyed and will only be in the air for a short time.

Probably you can search then not only mushrooms but also drones in the wood :D

However I dont accept limits and restrictions only because fools are allowed to buy drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84