Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Night Ops X5R

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience using the X5R at night?

I need a small drone (under 7kg) for some commercial work being shot at night (over a city so not pitch black). My normal set up would be to use a larger rig with a decent camera and lens. I was just wondering how the X5R handles the dark? I know from experience the X3 doesn't cope well at all.

X5R is NOT good in low light situations. Try and get your hands on it to see for yourself. Maybe DJI can improve the camera behavior in the future by means of firmware updates but as it is today you'd be better of hiring a drone platform that can take a greater camera up there for night shots.

Thanks! I've got a platform to get something bigger up there but need it under 7kgs which sadly it's not.

It's not great, but it's not bad when shooting cityscapes. I have had some good results on my X5 even

In the US, flying during twilight is permitted by FAA Part 107 regulations as long as the aircraft is equipped with the required anti-collision lighting (such as ours). Flying between evening and morning twilight requires an FAA waiver to be legal. That said, attached is a recent image from a twilight flight taken with an Inspire 1 upgraded with an X5 camera.View attachment 10505

wow. what settings did you use on your camera and which lens?

The lens was the standard one that comes with the X5 - DJI MFT 15mm F1.7 ASPH; f7.4 Aperture priority mode; ISO 400; was one of a 3 or 5 bracketed series; taken about 5 minutes before the end of civil sunset.

That shot was taken at f7.4, ISO400? Wow...not too shabby! lol

The 15mm is in focus 4'4"-Infinity at a f5.6 and the sweet spot for that lens is the f5.6/8 range going to f13 will actually decrease resolution due to the diffraction being introduced. and do you need to focus at 1'10" when shooting an aerial?

The size of the shot has little to do with the choice of f-stop. Closing down past f11 is never advised. You might wand to learn about Depth of Field

We've used the inspire & X5R in the last 5 minutes of evening twilight on a cloudy night with excellent results with ISO 400 and 800 at f2.8 & f4. This was shooting a 7+ million dollar house with exterior lights on and a few lights in the house, golf course behind.

We've used the inspire & X5R in the last 5 minutes of evening twilight on a cloudy night with excellent results with ISO 400 and 800 at f2.8 & f4. This was shooting a 7+ million dollar house with exterior lights on and a few lights in the house, golf course behind.

Have any sample pics? Sounds awesome.

I'd love to upgrade to an X5R at some point. They ain't cheap, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide