Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Night Time Operations

I did receive a review from the FAA indicating that I need to address night vision training for all parties involved with the night flight. No other comments or corrections to my original submittal. I responded to the FAA quoting Chapter and verse from the Pilots Handbook for the night vision issues. Haven't heard back yet. Its been 2 months since original request and about 3 weeks since my latest response to them. I believe they will either approve or deny at this point. By mission is to fly various residential subdivisions(within the street right-of-way) at night to take static photos straight down to evaluate(visually) the existing street lighting. I have Municipal permission(client), and the police will be notified when the work will be done. My AGL will be 150 feet, I will have a car advancing 150 feet in front of me for safety purposes and the UAV will be directly above or behind the car. I will be located 150 feet behind the car. Just ascend vertically, take a few photos at a set exposure and elevation, then descend. No flying involved.....just straight up....then straight down. The municipality is interested to see the variation amongst the subdivisions that were approved over the last 25 years to cut back on some lighting and/or supplement with LED with others. They could save as much as 20,000 per year in electricity costs. FLIR would be great and very analytical but the Township knows which subdivisions are adequately lit so it has a standard to compare with(visually). We shall see.........

The night vision training documentation part is the difficult part.....................until someone goes through this and can shed some light on it.

This process is a little bit frustrating to say the least.....we have professionals here willing to do what it takes, get educated, get certified, research and learn all there is that is available to learn .....but we have to guess what magic words to use for these waivers/COAs. I feel more restricted after getting my certification now that I know what I didn't know before.

The night vision training documentation part is the difficult part.....................until someone goes through this and can shed some light on it.

This process is a little bit frustrating to say the least.....we have professionals here willing to do what it takes, get educated, get certified, research and learn all there is that is available to learn .....but we have to guess what magic words to use for these waivers/COAs. I feel more restricted after getting my certification now that I know what I didn't know before.[/QUOTE

After the feds request more info re: "addressing night vision training for all parties involved with the night flight" I prepared the attached exam for my observer and safety personnel and my waiver was approved.

Attachments

• PIC EXAM for sUAS Night Flying.pdf
    242.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Feel free to use it. Let me know if you want the WORD version.

We received our 107.29 waiver a couple/three weeks ago. Just cite chapter and verse about night vision training from the PHAK and AIM. Train your flightline crew, use lighting, scout the area during daytime for hazards (or ensure the area is well-lit), have at least one VO etc ... Pretty straightforward for 107.29.... what's NOT straightforward yet is what performance based mitigation measures they're looking for for BVLOS/EVLOS (107.31) and flying over people (107.39)... but I think the FAA is due out to publish quidance on these within the month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela