Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

No comm between RC and Inspire 1 Pro

Reaction score
I received the Inspire 1 Pro yesterday and after charging batteries and updating the firmware in the copter, sucessfully, I tried to bring up the RC for firmware update. It downloaded the update but wasn't able to install it due to a comm problem the remote indicates is due to interference. I'm doing this inside my apartment so there is a wifi router in the room and I have a cellphone, but the odd thing is, the status LED on the remote is always green -- even when the copter is turned off. It doesn't matter if my tablet is plugged into the RC or not or if the copter is on or not the status LED is always on.

Any help here?

Brian

The other thing I notice in the RC tab in Go is that the RC isn't showing up. I see no ID for my RC.

I've tried the reset methods C1+C2+Shutter button and no help. I've tried the C1+C2+Shutter button while cycling power -- no help. The conenction status indicator is always green even with the copter powered off.

Brian

One last bit of information ...

Before performing the firmware update in the copter I had to take it out of travel mode to install the X5 camera. So, I powered on the RC then the copter then cycled the landing gear switch four times and the copter came out of travel mode. So, the RC had to have been in communications to do that.

Brian

@RaptorMan I may be slightly confused but let me ask some questions:
Are you updating craft with the RC off and the RC with the Craft off?
What is not connecting, the RC itself or the interface?
Lastly, are you still able to put the landing gear up and down with the remote?

@RaptorMan I may be slightly confused but let me ask some questions:
Are you updating craft with the RC off and the RC with the Craft off?
What is not connecting, the RC itself or the interface?
Lastly, are you still able to put the landing gear up and down with the remote?

I updated the copter with the RC off but updated the RC with the copter on.

The issue is that as soon as I turn the RC on, I mean the instant it powers up, the status light is green even when the copter isn't even powered on. It's saying with the green light that it's connected but the copter isn't even on.

I contacted DJI tech support and they send me some information about linking up the RC. The process is as follows:

1. Power on the remote controller and connect to the mobile device. Launch DJI Go.

2. Power on the intelligent flight battery.

3. Enter "Camera" view, tap on RC settings, then tap on "Linking Remote Controller"

4. At this point the status LED on the RC is supposed to be blinking blue with a beeing tone, but my RC LED does not turn blue and instead remains green.

5. Locate the "Linking" button on the front of the aircraft. Press the linking button to start linking. The remote controller status LED will display solid green if link is a success. Again, my remote never goes into the linking mode as the LED never turns blue. I went ahead and tried the linking button on the copter but no joy.

It looks like my RC is borked and I'm in a bind as there's no way to put the copter back into travel mode to send it back. I'll call DJI tomorrow morning and hope they have a better idea then the one they had me try with the linking.

Brian

One more thing I just remembered ...

When I go into the RC settings screen and then select "Stick Mode" there should be four options: Mode 1, Mode 2 (default), Mode 3 and Custom, but that's not what I get. I have two options and the one that's checked is "Custom" -- I never touched any of these settings. It looks to me that I have a slave unit and not the master.

However, before I updated the copters firmware I had to take it out of travel mode and to do that I needed to connect the RC to the copter and cycle the landing gear switch four times. I did that and it worked. But, now it doesn't. So that says to me it got borked during the update.

Brian

i will type again since it has vanished .....
the latest firmware update for the DJI GO app is a floppp , i have IOS and android and both keep failing to communicate with the inspire.
when it does connect its a broken transmission and drops in and out at will.
any one else having this issue ?

i will type again since it has vanished .....
the latest firmware update for the DJI GO app is a floppp , i have IOS and android and both keep failing to communicate with the inspire.
when it does connect its a broken transmission and drops in and out at will.
any one else having this issue ?
Nope - not had a single issue with the current public release, not a single one. It has been rock solid.
If you are experiencing problems it is something else.

I can't say whether or not DJI Go is good, bad or indifferent, but I can say the RC is AFU. The RC is displaying strange behavior even when the tablet or phone isn't even connected to the RC. When I turn the RC on and it's not connected to anything the status LED is green right from the get go.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to return the system with the copter landing gear down -- I can't put it into travel mode to put back in the case if I can't communicate with it.

Brian

Good news...

I just got off the phone with DJI tech support and in 20 minutes they have me up and running. I explained the issues tot he guy and he walked me through a few tests that confirmed the RC wasn't communicating even though the LED was green.

He then had me do a reset that requires you to hold down the C1 + C2 + Shutter button (not video) and then turning RC power off then back on again all while continuing to hold the three buttons down. It was supposed to beep and reboot but nothing changed.

He then had me go to the "about" section to check version information and all was good except there was no info on camera or copter. Then, in the main status screen there was an indication that "updates required" so he had me select that and it indicated the update was downloaded and at the bottom was a button to install or something like that. He told me to click on it and when I did it brought up the progress bar that turn blue as it proceeds and the status LED turned red, and when it got to about 2-3% the Go app screen changed to the camera view page. At the same time the copter light which had been blinking fast yellow changed to slow yellow and the RC status turned green.

So, after removing the lens cap the Go app was displaying the camera view. Going through the menus everything appears the way it should and I see the RC ID info and 'master' indication.

So, what I think happened is that the RC hung up during the firmware update. I tried the install firmware option again but it error-ed out until today and I think it might have been the RC reset that did the trick even though it didn't respond to the reset as expected.

I have some things I need to do before I take her out for the first flight but at this point the only questionable thing I can see is an indication in the Go app that there is 'high interference' but the signal strength for both the RC and video are 5/5. I'm guess the myriad of RF in my apartment building is causing some interference.

Brian

Good news...

I just got off the phone with DJI tech support and in 20 minutes they have me up and running. I explained the issues tot he guy and he walked me through a few tests that confirmed the RC wasn't communicating even though the LED was green.

He then had me do a reset that requires you to hold down the C1 + C2 + Shutter button (not video) and then turning RC power off then back on again all while continuing to hold the three buttons down. It was supposed to beep and reboot but nothing changed.

He then had me go to the "about" section to check version information and all was good except there was no info on camera or copter. Then, in the main status screen there was an indication that "updates required" so he had me select that and it indicated the update was downloaded and at the bottom was a button to install or something like that. He told me to click on it and when I did it brought up the progress bar that turn blue as it proceeds and the status LED turned red, and when it got to about 2-3% the Go app screen changed to the camera view page. At the same time the copter light which had been blinking fast yellow changed to slow yellow and the RC status turned green.

So, after removing the lens cap the Go app was displaying the camera view. Going through the menus everything appears the way it should and I see the RC ID info and 'master' indication.

So, what I think happened is that the RC hung up during the firmware update. I tried the install firmware option again but it error-ed out until today and I think it might have been the RC reset that did the trick even though it didn't respond to the reset as expected.

I have some things I need to do before I take her out for the first flight but at this point the only questionable thing I can see is an indication in the Go app that there is 'high interference' but the signal strength for both the RC and video are 5/5. I'm guess the myriad of RF in my apartment building is causing some interference.

Brian
Glad you are now up and running.
FYI you can put the aircraft into (and take it out of ) travel mode manually by turning the worm screw drive with a screwdriver.

Glad you are now up and running.
FYI you can put the aircraft into (and take it out of ) travel mode manually by turning the worm screw drive with a screwdriver.

Thanks E, I'd probably have discovered the manual method but I appreciate the tip.

Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can take her out for the first time.

I know I need to calibrate the compass, but what about the IMU and gimbal? Both should be done at some time and perhaps periodically after that but I'm not sure there's any clear guidance on just how often this should be done. Also, how critical is it to do this on a dead level surface? I can see the IMU needing to be calibrated on a level surface but what effect, if any, is there to the gimbal cal if not done on a very level surface?

Brian

Thanks E, I'd probably have discovered the manual method but I appreciate the tip.

Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can take her out for the first time.

I know I need to calibrate the compass, but what about the IMU and gimbal? Both should be done at some time and perhaps periodically after that but I'm not sure there's any clear guidance on just how often this should be done. Also, how critical is it to do this on a dead level surface? I can see the IMU needing to be calibrated on a level surface but what effect, if any, is there to the gimbal cal if not done on a very level surface?

Brian
You will not be able to calibrate the compass on a level surface since you need to rotate the aircraft 360 degrees around two planes. Instructions on this are in the manual and there are numerous YouTube videos online on how to achieve this.
It is not necessary to calibrate compass every flight or every change of location - in fact that's a bad practice to get into as it can introduce an error. Lots on that on this forum. I have spent a long time trying to educate people that DJI got it wrong with their advice regarding compass calibration every flight and most follow my recommendations now and advocate it to others.
With regards to IMU this DOES need to be done on a completely level surface and must remain totally undisturbed and vibration free during its process. Not even floor vibrations etc.
It is good practice to do an IMU cal after each firmware update or if the aircraft has been subject to physical shock or if the mod values are not within optimum range.
That should be the only time you need to IMU calibrate.
However.....ALWAYS check your mod values before every single flight. This is far more important and there is plenty about this on the forum.

You will not be able to calibrate the compass on a level surface since you need to rotate the aircraft 360 degrees around two planes. Instructions on this are in the manual and there are numerous YouTube videos online on how to achieve this.
It is not necessary to calibrate compass every flight or every change of location - in fact that's a bad practice to get into as it can introduce an error. Lots on that on this forum. I have spent a long time trying to educate people that DJI got it wrong with their advice regarding compass calibration every flight and most follow my recommendations now and advocate it to others.
With regards to IMU this DOES need to be done on a completely level surface and must remain totally undisturbed and vibration free during its process. Not even floor vibrations etc.
It is good practice to do an IMU cal after each firmware update or if the aircraft has been subject to physical shock or if the mod values are not within optimum range.
That should be the only time you need to IMU calibrate.
However.....ALWAYS check your mod values before every single flight. This is far more important and there is plenty about this on the forum.

Thanks E, I realize the compass isn't done on a level surface -- I know how to do that. I think I understand the need for a level surface for IMU calibration and doing this after a firmware update makes sense to me as well. What about gimbal cal? How often? Does it need a level surface? Will a gimbal cal fix all/some of the crooked horizon issues?

Brian

Thanks E, I realize the compass isn't done on a level surface -- I know how to do that. I think I understand the need for a level surface for IMU calibration and doing this after a firmware update makes sense to me as well. What about gimbal cal? How often? Does it need a level surface? Will a gimbal cal fix all/some of the crooked horizon issues?

Brian
Gimbal calibration should only be performed if you are not happy with the levelling of the gimbal on the roll axis.
Critical gimbal levelling is dependant on a good IMU cal, so its important to get that right.
I forgot......do your IMU cal from a cold machine. One that has not been turned on for an hour or so. Then turn the remote and aircraft on and immediately go into IMU cal and set it going. Then wait, as it take up to 8 or 9 minutes to complete.

Just completed the IMU cal from a cold machine then performed a gimbal cal. Charging batteries and hope to get my first flight in today.

I looked for a level piece of hard floor but the level was not to good so I put quarters on the floor (linoleum on concrete) to make a level spot. IMU cal took about 8 minutes and gimbal cal 30 seconds.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44