Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

No Fly Zones

Reaction score
I can't find anything recent on the subject so I thought I would ask. Today I needed to fly in an area that is a no-fly zone, but I wasn't able too (I had ATC permission etc) as the Go App kept telling me I was in a No-Fly Zone. I was running older firmware, but I have now updated. I need to do a similar thing on Friday (once again I have permission from the ATC) and I was wondering if the Geo fencing/overide was now available in the latest firmware and Go App. I can't seem to find anywhere that says it is. I tried to download the beta version of the firmware from the Geo System page on the DJI website but it doesn't link to a download.

I can't find anything recent on the subject so I thought I would ask. Today I needed to fly in an area that is a no-fly zone, but I wasn't able too (I had ATC permission etc) as the Go App kept telling me I was in a No-Fly Zone. I was running older firmware, but I have now updated. I need to do a similar thing on Friday (once again I have permission from the ATC) and I was wondering if the Geo fencing/overide was now available in the latest firmware and Go App. I can't seem to find anywhere that says it is. I tried to download the beta version of the firmware from the Geo System page on the DJI website but it doesn't link to a download.
Lots of threads already on this on the forum.
GeoFence is still in public beta and the second round of closed beta is now underway utilising firmware v1.7 (which is required for it to work).
Public release will not be too much longer.

Lots of threads already on this on the forum.
GeoFence is still!in public beta and the second round of closed beta is now underway utilising firmware v1.7 (which is required for it to work).
Public release will not be too much longer.

How do I download the beta versions? If i try to download them from the website nothing happens?

Yep I click on the link, it then brings up the pop up which I agree too, but then nothing.

I have a Pro, if thats any help.
Can't help I'm afraid. Sounds like a computer/firewall problem your end.
Both firmware and .apk downloading fine here from that link/page.
You can try emailing DJI but remember it's public beta so unlikely to get support.

It seems Firefox didn't want to play ball, just tried it in Chrome and it's working. Does this work with the current 2.7 Go App or does it need a different version?

It seems Firefox didn't want to play ball, just tried it in Chrome and it's working. Does this work with the current 2.7 Go App or does it need a different version?
The public beta GEO firmware does not work with the formal public iOS App 2.7.0 release. Only the public beta Android app is available. While the are no issues with loading the beta GEO firmware and using it with iOS app 2.7.0, I would advise you not to go this route until the firmware is formally released.

The public beta GEO firmware does not work with the formal public iOS App 2.7.0 release. Only the public beta Android app is available. While the are no issues with loading the beta GEO firmware and using it with iOS app 2.7.0, I would advise you not to go this route until the firmware is formally released.

Sorry if I'm being dumb but I'd be grateful if you could just clarify this procedure for me as I need to 'unlock' a zone next week. I will be flying outside, but extremely close to a NFZ around an airfield. I have spoken to ATC and obtained clearance.

- Do I need to download beta version of the GO app (Android) or is the GEO feature within 2.7.0? Only I did the beta download / install and it's showing 2.6.0 so if I now update to 2.7.0 will I lose the GEO feature?

- I have an Android tablet and an ipad. Any reason why I shouldn't use the android to pilot and the ipad on the slave RC

- It says on the DJI site that I can request an IOS beta update for GO by email. Bearing in mind what you say above, should this work ok with 2.6.0 / 2.7.0?

- At what stage in the process do I have to 'verify' my account?

Thanks in advance.

Check the Public Beta site at DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography and your plan operating location on the Advance Locking. You only need to unlock the yellow Authorisation Zones. These are generally smaller than the existing NFZs.

The public firmware listed (1.7.0.43) has been been superceded with a beta 2 that is not publicly available. There is no beta iOS app available so there is no point requesting it. You can not mix the GEO beta app with a non-beta app on your slave (I've tried it) and I don't know if you can mix Android and iPad anyway. You have to verify your account at the point you unlock a zone either on the website or on site connected to the internet. Beware you may hit unlocking problems in the field that are not shown on the map.

Good luck.

Thanks for this, very useful - but I have hit a bit of a wall.

I've successfully scheduled an unlock for the zone via the website.

I've downloaded the APK beta app file and installed on my tablet.

I've updated the aircraft firmware to beta 1.7.0.43.

When connecting to the RC it said RC firmware update required (1.5.7.0 to 1.5.8.0).

Downloaded this in app and started installation which appeared to be successful but at the end it said 'update failed'. Tried again a few times but no luck.

Uninstalled beta app, re-installed app - it then asked me to download an RC update but when trying to do so the download failed (several times). It said to check network connection but this was/is okay.

Cleared app data & cache, uninstalled and re-installed beta app

Now RC says 'latest' against RC firmware but no connection to aircraft, pale blue light showing, and in 'about' firmware version says N/A

Any ideas where to go next?

PS - FYO Android and IOS normally work okay together as master and slave.

Have a similar issue and no access to beta on iOS despite emailing flysafe. Will lose this job which is unfortunate. Look forward to not having these issues in the future!

Well I seem to have sorted the problem but didn't realise that the RC update to 1.5.8.0 was coincidental to my installing the GEO beta app, I thought they must be connected.

In desperation I connected up my wife's ipad to the RC but it would only let me connect as a Phantom 3 professional so I went along with it and it showed that an RC update to 1.5.8.0 was needed. I downloaded the firmware okay and then started to install and all went well though after about 10% I got an error message saying something like RC FPGA failure, however the installation continued and finally said successful.

I switched on the a/c and looked good, camera working - showed RC at 1.5.8.0 but a/c at 1.6.0.4+ (most probably because IOS doesn't recognise the 1.7.0.43).

I then switched to the Android tablet and all seems fine though under 'About' it still shows RC and aircraft firmware as N/A. In the map view I get the options for airspace alerts so I assume the GEO feature is operational but need to investigate further.

Also the ipad seems to work fine as a slave to the android for camera work although it doesn't have the GEO features, and it now connects as an Inspire.

Will flight test over the next couple of days.

A bit baffled by this thread. We're trying to improve the relations with a very nervous aviation industry & all these discussions about flying without the latest firmware ( most of the Inspire firmware upgrades are to fix known problems), bypassing safety systems, flying in no fly zones without a special operations certificate (ATC doesn't give permission for drone use, transport authorities issue special permits). Condoned by the Editor. Very disappointing.

Ralph, I take on board your comments about the aviation industry but there isn't a 'one size fits all' solution..

Quite sensibly DJI have erected these virtual barriers to stop drones being inadvertently or recklessly flown in potentially dangerous or restricted areas. However if risk assessments are done and appropriate measures taken to ensure safe flight then so long as the applicable regulations are followed there is no reason why drones should not be flown there if needed. DJI recognise this and have therefore developed their GEO system to allow their products to be used for such flights which I imagine are mostly for commercial, not hobby reasons.

I don't know which country you are in but here in the UK under the CAA Permission for Aerial Work sub 7kg SUA/SUSA can be flown in controlled airspace so long as operating rules are followed and for 7kg - 20kg, to quote - "must not be flown in controlled airspace, except with the permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit." Sub 7kg permission isn't required but responsible pilots will always contact the ATC beforehand to discuss the planned operation.

Given the option I doubt any of us would choose to fly in a NFZ and I for one wouldn't go near a big airport whatever, but sometimes it can't be avoided to do the job. Plenty of these NFZ aerodromes have little activity and I think the GEO system is a very sensible tool for the odd occasion when it's needed.

Thanks Simon. I live in Montréal, Canada. As a pilot with UK, USA and Canadian licenses (now expired) and an ex-Director of IATA (dealing with ATC and Airport regs) I can assure you than drones or anything flying in the path of an aircraft are a big concern for pilots as I'm sure you are aware. I'm very pleased that DJI is taking this issue seriously and doing a good job of trying to address concerns as best they can. I've read so many stories of mindless souls flying drones unsafely, just read about someone flying his drone to 3000 ft, above cloud and then not having sufficient power to get home and crashing. Because drones are so popular in the USA, police now have the authority to arrest anyone not complying fully with the regs. I accept that exceptions can be made but I would like to hear the editor state that these are special circumstances and that under no circumstances should any operator use their drones in NFZ's or anywhere without full compliance to the regulations.

Maybe this story from Saturday's Guardian helps to underscore the industries concerns & the justification for NFZ's. This incident would not have happened if this drone had programmed NFZ's.
Lufthansa jumbo reports near miss with drone over Los Angeles

Thanks for the forum, lots of helpful and educational material here

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotflieger
Can I disable NFZ with Android device and then do my flights on iOS apple device? Not sure how this all works.

Simply answer is no. The NFZ replacement system called GEO is still in beta.

Yes I know it's called GEO and in beta, but your response insinuates it's not possible yet to disable NFZ at all. When in fact you CAN disable it with Android device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth