Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Noise issue with 1.8.1 firmware on Inspire Pro

Reaction score
Finally got out to shoot this morning after almost a month with no flying. Flew 7 batteries, 3 locations and 2 lenses (15mm and 45mm). Posting this link to a RAW DNG file to see if someone wants to drop into PS or LR and see if I am just getting picky in my older age. Not looking for an edit but just to see if anyone else sees lots of noise in this image. Believe I shot over 100 images and, for the most part, they all look similar re: noise.

Inspire Pro - my settings were -2, -1, -1 in LOG. The image was captured at ISO100, f5.6 and 1/400.

Dropbox - DJI_0031.DNG

You really think that it's acceptable? Serious degradation of some sort around noise/sharpness isn't normal in this camera. I've had this camera since the release with no issues until after 1.6 (I believe).

You really think that it's acceptable? Serious degradation of some sort around noise/sharpness isn't normal in this camera. I've had this camera since the release with no issues until after 1.6 (I believe).

Didn't say the image was 'acceptable' I replied that the noise was on a par with mine, as asked.

At 0 EV the noise looks acceptable to me, but the foreground is abut 1.5 stops underexposed, as is. Pulling the foreground up that 1.5EV does accentuate the noise, but no more than expected.
Perhaps also a focus problem coupled with a little camera shake...?
Ambient being almost directly overhead, may account to some degree for the lack of contrast on the buildings to the left - yes these look awful.

Didn't say the image was 'acceptable' I replied that the noise was on a par with mine, as asked.

At 0 EV the noise looks acceptable to me, but the foreground is abut 1.5 stops underexposed, as is. Pulling the foreground up that 1.5EV does accentuate the noise, but no more than expected.
Perhaps also a focus problem coupled with a little camera shake...?
Ambient being almost directly overhead, may account to some degree for the lack of contrast on the buildings to the left - yes these look awful.

I typically underexpose slightly (-.3) so I don't lose the sky completely. I've never experienced the almost pastel/watercolor look when zoomed in. Maybe noise isn't the right descriptor but whatever it is it sure is a degradation in overall quality compared to previous firmware versions. I've shot thousands of stills across 30+ projects over the past 6 months, had prints as large as 40x30 and this was never an issue. I may go try shooting in "none" profile to see how that changes things, if at all.

Check this out. I just don't know how it would apply to stills.

I've shot thousands of stills across 30+ projects over the past 6 months, had prints as large as 40x30 and this was never an issue.

TBH, if it weren't for the fact that you didn't have an issue with the 45mm prior to FW 1.6, I'd say the image was simply soft. In view of the former, can't really help any more. Mine is acceptable on FW1.8 (for what it is).

Video settings, e.g. LOG / NONE will have no effect on stills, nor will any other 'style' type setting.

Here is a better test from today...10 shots from this morning...I recalibrated both lenses (15mm and 45mm) prior to this shoot...same exact environment for all images. Open them up in PS or LR and add some sharpening (I'm talking ~40-50) and everything turns to a watercolor painting look.

These were all shot at ISO100, f5.6, and shutter at approximately 1/400-/1800. -2, -2, -2, LOG then NONE. I don't see a difference in the two, personally. HOWEVER, the end results for all of these images is poor. Let me know what you think.

Dropbox - Inspire Pro - LOG vs NONE

^^ RCA3_LOG.DNG. I'd be happy with this from an X5 with 45mm. Having said that I'm always moaning that the X5 is cr@p compared to even a basic DSLR.
Assuming Lightroom, what are your sharpening values for,

Amount (50) (absolute max)
Radius (1.5)
Detail (23)
Masking (90)

and Clarity (31) - This will magically add to the sharpening effect.

The ones I settled for in brackets.

This one here http://19x.co.uk/scratch/2016/thisandthat/ddublu_2.JPG is a quick edit in LR.

but I do quite like the watercolour effect too (;>) http://19x.co.uk/scratch/2016/thisandthat/ddublu_3.JPG

Today, I tested the same lens (literally switched the 45mm back and forth) in the same environment with another X5. The really soft image was taken on monday and was shot at -2, -2, -2....The others were shot today and only a few minutes apart. Today's were shot at ISO200 and 0,0,0. What is going on now that I have another X5's shots to compare with? Dropbox - Inspire Pro comparisons

So what's your conclusion?

1 of 3 things.

1. I have a defective camera.
2. The the last calibration I did, didn't work.
3. 1.8 is the culprit.

What do you think about the comparisons? The other shots are from an X5 that's on 1.6 firmware.

How are you focusing?
I've never done a 'calibration' I don't ever use the 'infinity focus' thing.

K stupid question, I'm on 1.8 with aircraft but 1.9 on camera (for osmo), why would the aircraft firmware affect camera? The only reason I haven't upgraded aircraft is I've heard of a few issues with 1.9. I'm a newbie to high end digital photography so you guys are light years ahead of me there! If I went to 1.6 on camera I would likely lose Oslo compatibility? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters