Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Not so stable in wind gusts...

Yes. I did stick calibration and raised the brakes. If I leave all sticks centered, it hovers. It´s difficult to fine control when it´s windy. Even light gusts.
The Inspire may compensate or over compensate postition and even altitude. A slow, straight movement takes A LOT of corrections and can result in a sine wave path instead of a straight line. Aproaching to a small landing area when windy makes me sweat.
The Phantom 2 behaved better, making quick, small corrections to stay in place. Easy to make a straight line when windy as I only needed to push the stick forward.
As the Inspire seem to have a slow or strange reaction to wind, I need to correct position, this ends with me AND the Inspire making corrections: weird movements. In ATTI is more predictable and steady, but I´m worried about it being dragged downwind.

Hmmmm,that weird.. i fly mostly in extreme wind conditions .. nows days sometimes the wind are more than 30kmh.. it still stay rocksolid

Hmmmm,that weird.. i fly mostly in extreme wind conditions .. nows days sometimes the wind are more than 30kmh.. it still stay rocksolid
Nice to hear. I thought it could be and Inspire problem
Would you please send me your general tuning setup and fw version?
Best regards!

I tune nothing everything stock.. i may send u the screen shot... my imu value n the gain...

Thanks!
It would be nice a video of a landing with cross winds...
;-)
I can send you mine to make a comparation<
Best regards from Buenos Aires!

I think it can handle strong winds. My problem is that it becomes very erratical. i.e. hovering in one place and start to slowly move in a straight line... impossible. And the landing in a small area is a nightmare with wind.

When landing your inspire in a strong wind, it is good piloting to point the inspire into the wind.. this cuts down the drag, and makes it much easy'er to control ...

Yes. Thank you
I try that every time I can, but some times the place is far from ideal. I´ve been operating from rooftops lately, with just a small place to take off/landing sometimes. This conditionates your aproaching position. And this is where I stressed the most...

I have the same problem - my Inspire 1 is far less stable than my P3P - drifting, poor performance holding position in light winds, and occasionally losing altitude without warning. I've put it down (after reading a lot of forums) to a firmware bug that I hope, DJI will resolve soon.

Happy to supply DAT files but not sure to who.

Last edited:
My $0.02 worth...

I noticed a change in behaviour in wind after the latest firmware update. Drifting in wind rather than reacting to it in P-GPS, by up to two metres.

Hi:
I have been flying a Phantom 2 for a while. Fantastic machine. Very stable in all kind of conditions. When in GPS, would hold its position very well
Then we bought an Inspire 1. Totally different behavior with wind guts: it drifts. May be downwind a little, or upwind. It even changes altitude (always in P-GPS). It´s seems to have a lack of reaction.
Trying to move slowly is almost impossible to make a straight path (when in speed it´s very stable).
Wich are the basic parameters to help with this? Is a software issue or a design one?
Best regards!

Hi:
I have been flying a Phantom 2 for a while. Fantastic machine. Very stable in all kind of conditions. When in GPS, would hold its position very well
Then we bought an Inspire 1. Totally different behavior with wind guts: it drifts. May be downwind a little, or upwind. It even changes altitude (always in P-GPS). It´s seems to have a lack of reaction.
Trying to move slowly is almost impossible to make a straight path (when in speed it´s very stable).
Wich are the basic parameters to help with this? Is a software issue or a design one?
Best regards!
I have exactly the same problem with my Inspire 1 Pro. It is very stable in flight whether I'm flying straight or banking. I have noticed though that it does change altitude without any stick input (altitude always decreases) and then I have to compensate to get the bird where I want it. In no wind conditions, it doesn't drift at all during a hover but in breezy conditions (and I'm not talking strong wind), it tends to drift around more than I would like. This is in P-GPS mode. Never thought of re-calibrating the IMU but will give it a go.
All the best, hope you come right.

Exactly the same. I feel 100% more confidence in my Phantom 2
Working close to objects always leads to a failed shot: aborting to avoid hiting things, etc.
Tried calibrating the IMU, but nothing changed.
Sent a support question to DJI...
I´ll let you know...

Exactly the same. I feel 100% more confidence in my Phantom 2
Working close to objects always leads to a failed shot: aborting to avoid hiting things, etc.
Tried calibrating the IMU, but nothing changed.
Sent a support question to DJI...
I´ll let you know...

I don't think DJI know the cause otherwise they would have fixed it by now.

Strange is that not everybody is complainig. So most of the Inspires are working just fine. If there is something wrong and a lot of people complain, I´m sure DJI should re-check everything. May be a re-tuned FW is required...
I don´t know but I want my Inspire to fly better than my Phantom!

Just for who wants to see this...

This is a test conducted by y DJI Dealer, Droneland. It's in dutch unfortunately, but interesting nevertheless.

Average wind was 17.5 m/s (34knots!) with gusts up to 23 m/s (45knots).
The guy flying it says that the I1 held its position amazingly well and that it remained absolutely flyable throughout the whole test. There was no problem at all, in any way.

Both my Phantoms would have been blown away completely in these conditions.

Again, it´s not a matter of how much wind it can handle, but how stable it performs with wind... not so much. As I said: impossible to make a perfect, slow, straight path. Easy with the phantom
Nice video anyway!
Thanks

Has mentioned previously in the forum, that I have noticed my Inspire 1 lost all ability to stand still in the wind.

When the drone was new I photographed with five-images bracketing, in 15-20m / s wind gusts and the images were identical, except for the exposure. The drone was hanging up there in 45 degree angle against the wind, completely still.

But after a firmware upgrade I lost all ability to stand still and I have not managed to get it back. Now it drift away in 5-6m/s winds...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin