Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Official Inspire 1 Launch Thread

My initial thoughts and observations on the Inspire 1 Launch:

It has a presence unlike the Phantom. It just looks so futuristic in person, it will draw a crowd wherever it goes.

The tramsmitter is heavier and much better feeling than the Phantom transmitter. It has a rubberized grip on it, which gives it a much more professional feel. USB port to your phone/tablet and HDMI to your TV, etc. these can be used simultaneously unlike the original Lightbridge.

The landing gear is retractable with a switch on the remote, but that can be changed to other switches on the remote with the app. The gear automatically drops down when you get close to the ground using the optical flow camera.

The flight controller was not announced. It is not the A2, Naza, or Wookong. Obviously something new that works with the optical flow sensors. DJI said more news on that will be coming soon.

The app looks great. It is not the Triumph software we have seen leaked. It works with iOS when connected directly to USB on the transmitter. I did see an Android device connected at the launch as well. You can choose to keep the camera pointing locked at one object and freely fly the Inspire around it, this is controlled all in the app.

The tablet holder is included and looks nice. Should hold a variety of sizes.

The battery price has not been announced, and DJI has not decided on that yet. It is a 4500 mah 6S battery.

The carbon fiber arms feel great and the whole machine feels heavy and solid. When I picked it up by one arm, nothing wobbled, it is very tight fit and finish.

The camera/gimbal has a quick detach feature, which will be nice for transport, especially with all the Vision+ gimbal detachment issues. This will also allow for easy upgrades.

It is very, very fast. It's a rocket, trust me. Great new indicator lights, the blinking tail light is very cool, looks like a real aircraft indicator light in the sky.

The videos DJI showed at the event on the projector look great. I have been watching plenty of videos online from reviewers and I have been slightly unimpressed. But, we'll see soon enough when it's in the hands of the public.

The gear automatically drops down when you get close to the ground using the optical flow camera.

Looking at the picture of the optical flow camera there's 2 ultrasonic sensors there as well.

My thoughts are that there's a better than good chance that's what will trigger the gear to come down automatically when you get to close to the ground

I like most of the stuff about it, other than the 18 minute flight time.
Love the indoor flight feature.
At the launch I hated the fact that it's a 1/2.3" sensor but now that I've looked at the specs and see it can record up to 60mbps video (same as Hero 4 in 4kx30 mode), maybe it is going to be good enough? I am certainly not spending this amount of money for a crap camera like the P2V or P2V+.

For me, I sum it up like this:
  1. Biggest issues:
    • 18 minutes of flight time.
    • Cost
  2. Biggest question:
    • Given the swappable gimbal & camera, what other cameras will be supported? (and when?)
  3. Best Features:
    • Indoor flight
    • Point of Interest (circle around)

Do we know that the 18 minutes is with the smaller battery?

Correct, 18 for the smaller battery. The larger battery was never mentioned at the reveal and in my conversations with DJI specifically about the battery, they never mentioned a larger battery. I don't expect it to be available at launch.

Adam:

There was a picture from yesterday's announcement party showing a bunch of cases and hats... What were the cases for?

Thanks...
-slinger

It was a DJI plastic case - inside was a DJI hat, umbrella, Photoshop Training DVD, and Memory Card, all given to the invitees of the release event.

Hmm...maybe I should give mine away to one of you guys??

Reactions: dirkclod
Well the hoopla is over and I'm impressed with the accuracy of the predictions made by many of the pilots here. The price tagg of $2899 is close to the $3000 guess. Actually the cost is what I was thinking about spending for a fully decked out Phantom 2. including gimbal, gopro, lightbridge and controller.

The Inspire 1 has some very nice features. Really like the camera 94 degree fov and 720p hd monitoring. With potential future camera upgrades it makes a hard decision to go with the old proven Phantom 2 or the Inspire 1.

For me to purchase a Inspire 1 many questions will need to be answered. I posted a question to a Amazon DJI supplier about warranties and he pointed me to the standard Vision+ warranty. Not good enough for a $3000 new bird for me. With all the DJI proprietary components used on the Inspire this is to much of a risk for me to take right now. Maybe a few months from now I will change my mind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips