Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Official Inspire 1 Launch Thread

Standard 4500mah battery will cost $150, larger 5700mah one will be $200. Confirmed by dr turbo on rcgroups.

This is a great looking craft and the transforming airframe is neat. However, when it comes down to actual flight usefulness, it doesn't actually over much if anything over a properly equipped phantom 2. While the Phantom 2 may cost close to the same with go pro, extra tx and light bridge, those components are not locked to the platform and will have uses elsewhere so you cannot directly include the cost. At the end of the day, this is still a go-pro ish carrier with about the same flight time as a Phantom 2 without any more customizability, all in a larger (less portable) and more expensive package.

Some may say one can add other things to it, but the 2950g AUW with smaller std battery is already close to the max weight of the e800 system (3200g), so don't expect to put any larger cameras on it, maybe a go pro, rx100 or flir unit can work later if DJI decides...

Lastly, the dual operator mode is neutered without a front pointing fpv camera for the pilot (amazing if it was a digital cropped fisheye like the bebop drone). This was a silly omission that could have made this craft worth it.

Reactions: Wiski23
This is a great looking craft and the transforming airframe is neat. However, when it comes down to actual flight usefulness, it doesn't actually over much if anything over a properly equipped phantom 2. While the Phantom 2 may cost close to the same with go pro, extra tx and light bridge, those components are not locked to the platform and will have uses elsewhere so you cannot directly include the cost. At the end of the day, this is still a go-pro ish carrier with about the same flight time as a Phantom 2 without any more customizability, all in a larger (less portable) and more expensive package.

Some may say one can add other things to it, but the 2950g AUW with smaller std battery is already close to the max weight of the e800 system (3200g), so don't expect to put any larger cameras on it, maybe a go pro, rx100 or flir unit can work later if DJI decides...

Lastly, the dual operator mode is neutered without a front pointing fpv camera for the pilot (amazing if it was a digital cropped fisheye like the bebop drone). This was a silly omission that could have made this craft worth it.

The tested video review made mention of how light bridge could carry an additional analog video stream in addition to control or hd video. I am hopeful for a future fpv option or hobby hack without adding another tr/rx layer. Adding a camera is easy. The new sdk is huge and I think will ramp innovation much more quickly than before. I was on the fence but feeling better because of the SDK come with and I can open up for single control operators.

As many have pointed out the lens is s big part of the equation and until go pro ship the unit with interchangeable lenses or you spring for a custom lens replacement it's not really comparable between the go Pro fisheye and inspire rectilinear.

I don't think the sdk is available for the inspire. Seeing how DJI is locking down their products with restrictions and proprietary parts, I won't get my hopes up on customization or interoperability. Remember, DJI has public ally said they want to be the Apple of the UAV world. Their products is going to do great (try anyways) for things they deem as important, and completely prohibited anything else.

If they succeed, some day we may have to jail break our crafts to fly them the way we wanted to.

I really have to say that DJI did themselves a major dis-service by the botched launch event and that dreadful video from Octofilms. Myself and others were totally put off by the entire process. However, I am the now willing to admit that I am now interested in buying one...WHEN the new adopters and DJI have sorted out the sure to come issues with the launch of a new product and I can mount my gopro4 to a native gimbal. I still have issues with the Star Trek 'bird of prey' looking thing (big ST fan...worked on the show for years BTW) but I'm sure some third party developers will have better looking after market shells!

Uv direct website says they will be in dec 29th I mean the inspire looks like there hear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry uav direct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pre-ordred from UAVDirect. They emailed me that I'm on the first batch they receive. They will have their shipments ETA by 29th to 31st.

I live about 20-25 minutes from them and will probably pick it up versus having them ship it even though
it's free shipping. I can't wait. Hah.

I really have to say that DJI did themselves a major dis-service by the botched launch event and that dreadful video from Octofilms. Myself and others were totally put off by the entire process. However, I am the now willing to admit that I am now interested in buying one...WHEN the new adopters and DJI have sorted out the sure to come issues with the launch of a new product and I can mount my gopro4 to a native gimbal. I still have issues with the Star Trek 'bird of prey' looking thing (big ST fan...worked on the show for years BTW) but I'm sure some third party developers will have better looking after market shells!
I've heard conflicting opinions about the possibility of a future "different" gimbal- from people who supposedly know. as in some say definitely yes, others say "no way in hell"

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla