Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Official video for Phantom 4 - March.1st

The Inspire Pro has a bit of a problem trying to extend the range as they have with the Phantom 4. The TB-48 is already over the specification for airlines and an even larger one will certainly not be permitted on aircraft. The TB-47 is about the largest battery you can take with you on a commercial aircraft and with that battery the max flight time is less than 14 minutes and more practically closer to 11 minutes.

What might be a work around is a dual battery configuration where each battery is just less than 100WHrs and with two installed you'd get, basically, 200WHrs making for a maximum flight time on an Inspire Pro in the area of 24 minutes and a practical flight of, perhaps, 19 minutes.

Brian

Reactions: Colin Berry
Its ok to think like that but I'm a licensed pilot and yesterday i had my inspire Pro take off from me and crash into a 4 story apartment block 400 metres from where I thought it was. Its in a million pieces and Im up for another $8000 for a new one. A crash avoidance system would have saved me 8k. I dont pretend to be a great pilot but I use this machine for my work. Now I have to buy a new one. I think Ill go for the Phantom 4 and wait till the inspire comes out with it.
Why are you up another $8k for a new one? As a licenced commercial operator in Aus you will have compulsory insurance no? In fact I think you have stated somewhere the cost you had to pay for it.
Therefore you will pay the deductible/excess and claim on your Hull coverage for a destroyed aircraft. I hope it's something I never have to use but as a commercial operator myself, if one of my Inspires went onto the side of a building I would be glad I had the insurance!
What do you mean "it took off from you and crashed"?
Have you posted on the forum to try and ascertain why your aircraft failed or do you know what caused it?

I've come to the realization that DJI really wants to be the Swiss Army Knife of the drone world.

After reading and finally watching this video I am convinced that the P4 is really targeting new and inexperienced aerial videographer.

In fact, the whole aircraft yells, "I Can Do Anything Better Than You..." which will ultimately lead to a false sense of security for new pilots.

Getting to the point folks. The P4 was not designed for the experienced operator.

It is catered to the noob and weak skilled pilot, which I am okay with as long as they take my class. ;)

So if you are looking to pick up a P3P, like yours truly, it is a smoking deal at the current price and wait for the Activ Track in a fw update.

You are golden.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Where you thought it was? So you had no eye contact over inhabited areas?

I already hear the 333 owners coming after you waving with the FAA paperwork :)

Nevertheless, sorry for your loss, a lot of money and time went down the toilet pipe :-(

Chris
I was watching it ok and shooting a slow pan but when i looked up from the screen I couldn't see it. It wasn't far from me ... maybe 300 metres but it wasn't in the place it should have been. I hit return to home but as i did, I saw it on the screen go over a tree and then nothing.
I found it about 400 metres across the estuary well off the flight path and have no idea how it got there as I was flying slow. the chap who saw it come down said it went over the trees sideways and hit the apartment block wall about 30 feet up. He said it went up and that must have been when i hit the RTH but it hit the wall before it gained enough height. I guess I will find out if it was a malfunction once they look at the flight data. I just cant imagine how it got away from me so fast. I was only doing about 5 mph before I lost it. I was flying over the inlet of water and in full view. I have my license. Im very careful and always fly LOS. I just looked away for a few seconds and it was gone.

Why are you up another $8k for a new one? As a licenced commercial operator in Aus you will have compulsory insurance no? In fact I think you have stated somewhere the cost you had to pay for it.
Therefore you will pay the deductible/excess and claim on your Hull coverage for a destroyed aircraft. I hope it's something I never have to use but as a commercial operator myself, if one of my Inspires went onto the side of a building I would be glad I had the insurance!
What do you mean "it took off from you and crashed"?
Have you posted on the forum to try and ascertain why your aircraft failed or do you know what caused it?
As far as I know the insurance doesn't cover damage to the craft. I have cover for public liability and professional liability but not drone damage as far as I know. If there was a problem with the inspire they will find out from the flight data Im told and it will be under warranty. Im still waiting to hear from someone.
It has shaken my confidence more than anything. I just cant believe Im responsible. One minute I was watching it and next minute it was gone. I dont really feel like buying another just yet after seeing the P4 avoidance system. I think best to buy one till the Inspire has the system as well. It is the cost of doing business but very sad about the whole thing.

So what are the advantages of my Inspire 1 V1 with the X3 compared to the Phantom 4? Now the P4 camera can do 360 degrees as well, and the I1 dual pilot function is not anything that i use.
It even seems that the P4 Light bridge has double the range of my I1?
And will the P4 have flight modes that are not available on the I1?

I wonder if there will be an external collision avoidance module for the I1 later on?
And how useful is this collision avoidance, i guess you can't fly full speed towards a wall and it will stop on a dime?

Is it maybe time to sell my I1 and by the P4?

So what are the advantages of my Inspire 1 V1 with the X3 compared to the Phantom 4? Now the P4 camera can do 360 degrees as well, and the I1 dual pilot function is not anything that i use.
It even seems that the P4 Light bridge has double the range of my I1?
And will the P4 have flight modes that are not available on the I1?

I wonder if there will be an external collision avoidance module for the I1 later on?
And how useful is this collision avoidance, i guess you can't fly full speed towards a wall and it will stop on a dime?

Can you show me where it says the P4 camera is capable of 360 degree rotation?

That's up to you to decide is it not?

Can you show me where it says the P4 camera is capable of 360 degree rotation?

That's up to you to decide is it not?

PHANTOM_4_-_ DJI’s_smartest_flying_camera_ever_.jpg

Or have i misunderstood? If this "360" writing means that the whole drone can turn 360 degrees then who are they advertising this drone for, thats pretty obvious that the drone can be rotated 360 degrees.
So my understanding was that its the camera that can be rotated 360 degrees, but maybe I'm wrong?

And yes of course i understund its up to me to decide, but that was a general question tied to my above question asking what is the real advantages of my I1 V1 with X3 that makes it worth double the price of the new P4 that seems to have many advantages over the I1?
But of course thats up to me in the end, so thats something i have to think about.

nop... no no .. p4 is 8 element lens while i1 is 9element for the x3
i can fly far than p4 because i got boosted haha...

but for more professional work u still need inspire 1 for your job.. unless you are for hobby only. 6s vs 4s.. power is a lot in differences ... even more stable in super windy day.

my humble opinions inspire just not for everyone.

nop... no no .. p4 is 8 element lens while i1 is 9element for the x3
i can fly far than p4 because i got boosted haha...

but for more professional work u still need inspire 1 for your job.. unless you are for hobby only. 6s vs 4s.. power is a lot in differences ... even more stable in super windy day.

my humble opinions inspire just not for everyone.

To be honest I'm not in the "professional photography" category so maybe thats why i guess for me its not totally obvious that the I1 is the better choice for me now after the P4 is released. But I'm no hobbyist using my drone just to play around either, i use it for taking nice photos and videos exclusively.

But you are correct about the stability of the I1, thats a clear advantage.
And also i like the fact that the X3 camera/gimbal can be used as a handheld with the OSMO.
And then even if the P4 would have 360 degres rotation on its camera it would get the landing gear in the videos, so that would be an advantage on the I1 as well.

But i guess one has to wait to see how good the P4 works in real life and how many of its new flight modes etc. are present directly at the release and not coming a year later with a firmware release?

View attachment 7045

Or have i misunderstood? If this "360" writing means that the whole drone can turn 360 degrees then who are they advertising this drone for, thats pretty obvious that the drone can be rotated 360 degrees.
So my understanding was that its the camera that can be rotated 360 degrees, but maybe I'm wrong?

And yes of course i understund its up to me to decide, but that was a general question tied to my above question asking what is the real advantages of my I1 V1 with X3 that makes it worth double the price of the new P4 that seems to have many advantages over the I1?
But of course thats up to me in the end, so thats something i have to think about.
Take a look at the specs under 'Gimbal' - Pitch only, no yaw so no 360 degree camera rotation.
PHANTOM 4 - Introduction

Okay so no 360 degrees gimbal rotation. To be honest i hadn't read the specs.
So the "360" writing means that the drone can turn 360 degrees, wow i didn't knew a drone can rotate 360 degrees, DJI are really inventing new things;).

Well then thats another advantage for the I1, thats pretty important with the 320 degree Yaw. Actually 360 on the P4 would have meant that the landing gears gets visible in the videos, so that function is not that smart on the P4.

Okay so no 360 degrees gimbal rotation. To be honest i hadn't read the specs.
So the "360" writing means that the drone can turn 360 degrees, wow i didn't knew a drone can rotate 360 degrees, DJI are really inventing new things;).

Well then thats another advantage for the I1, thats pretty important.
I think the 360 degree graphic is just another indication that DJI are marketing the P4 at a demographic that have never flown multicopters before and targeting an audience with
How stable is the video going to be without any dampeners on the gimble unless I'm missing something?
It does - the dampers are built into the gimbal mount itself.
It's also mentioned in the description under "Integrated Gimbal"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavitrakher1