Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

OK. Who Was It?

I think this should be submitted to MythBusters as a full episode idea. Adam Savage will probably be happy to test this out for his own enjoyment to begin with.

I can't believe anyone could possibly think that a drone hitting a power line would break the power line. Especially after reading about an excavator trying to drive through them, trees laying on them, and real airplanes hitting them without causing them to break. But yea, a 6 pound plastic drone can easily sever them, with the props even, haha! Haven't laughed this hard in a while.

I blame the LADWP for their shoddy workmanship! The thing that sucks about this story is that no one stepped forward to take responsibility. It's cowardly and implies guilt.

This could happen to any of us. If it were me, I would have reported the incident myself. I'd be on the news (if they were so keen to report it) explaining what happened and asking why this story is newsworthy:

Do all local power outages become national news? Why this one?
When a car knocks out a power line, does it become national news?
What is it about drones that compels news media to sensationalize these stories?

One link to the story has a pic of a phantom and another one had a pic of an inspire, something is fishy, lol

Reactions: Chnjab
Car's hit poles and knock out power every day, it's a UAV so big news. Wish I could get insurance I fly safe but you never know what can happen. It's like everything in life things happen.

That's the media's fault and likely due to them not having received permission to use the photo posted on the Viper Room's instagram account from the scene (photo w/ the black inspire). This is a very common occurrence in media stories and nothing unusual. It's a perfect example of why any information from the media should be taken with a grain of salt. Skepticism when it comes to these news stories is perfectly acceptable but with the evidence that has been reported, I don't understand the blatant denial.

Go fly your inspire into a power line, bet you $10,000 the power line wins.

Reactions: Steve Reid
This doesn't break the wires but an inspire does? Come on now! Ok maybe it did in an extremely rare prefect contact point freak occurrence caused by arcing electricity on a previously damaged/weak line that you wouldn't be able to recreate if you flew half a million inspires into power lines trying to break the wire again. Anyways like others said hundreds of power poles/lines go down every day and you never hear about them but find inspire wreckage at the scene and suddenly its national news with 24/7 coverage.

WEB-STORM-3-103112.jpg

719.jpg

004.jpg

The fact that the pilot is nowhere to be found makes me suspicious because of the timing of the incident in relation to the la co. proposed law..
The only way I can see the wires falling apart is if the inspire caused a short that burnt up the connection. .
If the black inspire is the one that supposedly broke the line I believe you would see damage from the power line arching against the carbon fiber arm...
just doesn't add up to me...

I'm glad you're finally acknowledging the possibility, despite you previous posts. We're dealing with the law of truly large numbers and selection bias.

The chances an inspire did this are about the same as being hit by lightning twice and winning the lottery twice in a month, it could be possible, I'm not ruling anything out, but seriously look at the facts. You could crash inspires into power lines all day for the rest of your life and never break another wire so even if a freak accident did occur here who cares, it's not likely to ever happen again.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you about that. Every other post you made said it was completely impossible. You have a different tone now.
Well I bet you couldn't recreate it if you tried, but for the sake of argument we won't say anything is impossible. If ten billion possible combination factors all line up perfectly at the right time anything is possible, but I wouldn't be going out advocating for stricter laws requiring they stay 100 yards from power lines or anything else retarded based on this news story, and I use the term news very very loosely here, cause this ain't newsworthy.

Batman did it! I think where they get the power outage is when the personnel going up require a safe of the lines? Just a thought. We had one hung up in Seattle and it just annoyed people as it made the lines hum load. Every thing and anything is being reported and agendasized by the media.

Batman did it! I think where they get the power outage is when the personnel going up require a safe of the lines? Just a thought. We had one hung up in Seattle and it just annoyed people as it made the lines hum load. Every thing and anything is being reported and agendasized by the media.
That other story I posted said it hummed and glowed at night. Never seen anything like that happen, sounds wild, lol

this here didnt break any lines but that inspire tore through them like a hot knife through butter! Probably a prop that got it really.

Plane trapped in power lines
No way the props cut through power cable as they will not even cut through my pant leg.
They will not even cut through a thin extension power cord as the props break and the motor stops
with the past update firmware.

You are the one who's naive. There's no way in Hell a plastic prop is cutting a thick metal power line, lol! It's pretty **** funny you think a prop it's gonna win that fight. I really hope you were joking.
Was it a short to start? The blades are connected to the motors via a metal thread typical the lines should be selected far enough apart to prevent a smart

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo