Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Olympus 14-42 mm lens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martycox51, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Martycox51

I am wondering how many pilots are using the Olympus 14-42 mm lens with the X5 camera over the 15mm lens that DJI supplies with the camera. Is it a better lens than the 15mm one? Please give me your thoughts. Thanks!

2. INSIGHT

I'd rather use a good picalo also player

3. DennisR

I use it.

4. kcobello

What good is a zoom lens if you have to set it from the ground? Id rather use primes........UNLESS there is a way to motor it...:)

5. DennisR

What do you mean? It can be operated from the go app. Its as easy as adjusting the aperture. The lens has its own slider. Thats the beauty of the lens. it is not smooth enough to film while zooming but you simply zoom in and out from the app.

#5 DennisR, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    kcobello likes this.
  6. ringolong

The image quality is not as good as the 15mm, but the zoom is nice when you need it.

You can also hold the C2 button down and roll the LHS roller wheel on the radio to zoom in and out.

7. Dobmatt

No, it's not a better lens in terms of sharpness or distortions, as for all zoom lenses in general and a pancake type in particular. If you're after quality over convenience I'll suggest Olympus 45mm prime lens, but try it first on your X5 gimbal as a few users reported odd mechanical behavior when filming (not me) ...

8. rtist2g

I have it, i bought it mostly for convenience/ like a scouting lens since it's cheap enough. when doing actual filming or stills work, it's the primes and quality filters all day.

Cheap UV and ND filters flare like crazy and bad when shot into the sun. B&W and Hoya multicoated are the way to go. I did notice the B&W 3 stop ND i got is pretty heavy, but that's nothing a little bluetack on the back of the gimbal cant fix.