Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 14-42 mod…

Reaction score
Been putting this off for a while as hacking into a brand new lens just seemed wrong.

Carefully taped it all up and went steady using a dremmel with one of those etching handles on an extension cable.

Before the mod the lens wouldn't easily mount to the X5. Once in place the zoom ring was tight against the gimbal body and it didn't sit straight.

Now it drops in very smoothly and doesn't touch the Gimbal at all.

Will finally get to try it out on a roof inspection job next week.

-------

IMG_2957.JPG IMG_2966.JPG IMG_2964.JPG

Reactions: ash223
I have the 14-42 ez no problem putting it on or off . Was it hitting when you put it on the camera or when it went to zoom

Been putting this off for a while as hacking into a brand new lens just seemed wrong.

Carefully taped it all up and went steady using a dremmel with one of those etching handles on an extension cable.

Before the mod the lens wouldn't easily mount to the X5. Once in place the zoom ring was tight against the gimbal body and it didn't sit straight.

Now it drops in very smoothly and doesn't touch the Gimbal at all.

Will finally get to try it out on a roof inspection job next week.

-------

View attachment 10598 View attachment 10599 View attachment 10600
That takes balls

Only X5 / X5R users might be interested after that kind of beasting.

Hope it works out. Let us know how the balance is as well please.

I think trying to balance it may be harder lol . I use the ring an double up on filters clear

Just to clarify. Before the mod getting the lens on was a real issue. It didn't just rub against the gimbal it needed to be gently forced to fit and once in place the zoom ring was stuck solid against the gimbal.

The mod does look pretty full on, but the ring is actually a plastic material so with a care and a dremmel the material comes away quite easily and it's possible to make a neat job of it.

I've seen this mod done by someone else in the UK. Before the mod he was experiencing vibration from the lens touching the side of the gimbal, but after the mod everything is fine. So we'll see.

I'm using the DJI weight ring and the amount for material coming off the lens is pretty minimal so don't expect any major balancing issues.

I'm going to take another look on my X5 and X5R. I'll post a couple of pic's later.

Thanks

Are you having problems with the 14-42 hitting. Mine just clears it

Yeah. I put it on to one of the gimbals (way too excited about getting the lens that I clean forgot which cam!) and I had to manually center the ring to stop it from zooming when I turned the camera on.

Okay, so I had a look on both camera's this morning and on the X5 it touches and requires the zoom ring adjusting :(

P1040251.JPG

On the X5R, lots and lots of room :D

P1040253.JPG

So it looks like its life is going to be spent with the X5R.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I was just trying to get the area of interest a little more definite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD