Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Once again...which iPad?

This is not correct. All iPads have GPS. The 3G/LTE versions also have an additional feature called "assisted GPS" which uses the cell network to lock in location more quickly. You can read more about it at Does the iPad have a "real GPS" in it? - iPad Pilot News.

But non-3G/LTE iPads have GPS. Including my new iPad Mini 4, which I love, and which I think is the perfect size for droning.
No - the non cellular iPads have no GPS in them.

No - the non cellular iPads have no GPS in them.
Correct. If InterMurph had read the very article he referenced more closely, he would know that, too. No GPS in non-cellular WiFi only iPads (the cellular antenna is also used as the GPS antenna, even when there is no cell service contract purchased). However, all iPads, especially the non-cellular iPads, can benefit from using an external Blue Tooth connected GPS/Glonass receiver such as the Bad Elf Pro+ 2300, to replace the internal GPS, which is completely missing from the non-cellular iPads.:cool:

This is not correct. All iPads have GPS. The 3G/LTE versions also have an additional feature called "assisted GPS" which uses the cell network to lock in location more quickly. You can read more about it at Does the iPad have a "real GPS" in it? - iPad Pilot News.
But non-3G/LTE iPads have GPS. Including my new iPad Mini 4, which I love, and which I think is the perfect size for droning.
I was under that misunderstanding until I was corrected recently. The non-SIM iPads do not have a built-in GPS received - see ZDNet. The Assisted GPS in the SIM-equipped iPads does use the mobile/cellular network to improve its positional accuracy and acquisition. I use a Dual XGPS160 bluetooth GPS receiver to allow me to use GPS with my non-SIM iPad Air 2 and Mini 2.

I was under that misunderstanding until I was corrected recently. The non-SIM iPads do not have a built-in GPS received - see ZDNet. The Assisted GPS in the SIM-equipped iPads does use the mobile/cellular network to improve its positional accuracy and acquisition. I use a Dual XGPS160 bluetooth GPS receiver to allow me to use GPS with my non-SIM iPad Air 2 and Mini 2.
Dual is a cheaper option to the Bad Elf Pro+ 2300, if you don't want a digital readout on your BT device, which displays both absolute altitude above sea level, satellite strength, and accuracy of its position in feet, and don't mind carrying around a bulky hockey puck. I have both.:cool:

Reactions: Scotflieger
I use an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 2 and both work fine.
The iPad Mini 2 is a better form factor for this IMO.
Recently ATT had a promotion where you can get a cellular 16gb iPad Mini 2 for $50 if you upgraded your iPhone. I picked one up and love it. The iPad Air 2 is a little big and top heavy. If you let go of the controller on a neck strap, the controller wants to flip over and the iPad can fall out onto the ground pretty easily.

I never let go my controller & iPad , just too much money to lose there ;) but I don't use a strap either just don't like it .

I use an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 2 and both work fine.
The iPad Mini 2 is a better form factor for this IMO.
Recently ATT had a promotion where you can get a cellular 16gb iPad Mini 2 for $50 if you upgraded your iPhone. I picked one up and love it. The iPad Air 2 is a little big and top heavy. If you let go of the controller on a neck strap, the controller wants to flip over and the iPad can fall out onto the ground pretty easily.
Try putting an old key ring around the top of the neck of tablet holder, instead of using the existing hole in the base, and attaching the strap to that. It moves the center of gravity farther back. Much more stable and balanced that way.:cool:

I know that there's a number of threads on this same topic but despite reading all of them, I still struggle to come to a solid conclusion on the iPad which I should buy for my I1 controller.

I'm oriented towards the mini but I'm unsure whether or not I could live with the 16Gb version (which is a lot cheaper than the 64Gb) and if I could do with the Wi-fi only or if it's worth investing on the Wifi+4G.

Lastly, is there any specific reason why you would suggest buying the new mini 4 as opposed to the 3 version?

Many thanks in advance for your input.
For my own personal I1 I used the Ipad mini 3 with WiFi and I also had 64gb version. I currently use the Ipad Air 2 with 128 GB and Wifi and I couldn't be happier.

no youre exactly right, you dont need storage on the ipad if all youre gonna use it for is flying the inspire, i was just pointing out how quick the small storage space goes if you were intending to use the tablet daily for other purposes besides the inspire.
Don't forget that Go can store the 720 video feed on the iPad to view later. This is especially handy to confirm exactly what you captured before you come down out of the sky. I keep this flight video on my iPad for reference later. I've used 20Gb in my ipad in 110 flights. I think 64GB is the minimum I'd recommend for the iPad. I like to go back and look at the 720 feeds to show friends all the places I've shot. It's really handy because of the quick zip slider to locate specific spots in the timeline during review. The only downside of those raw feeds is if you lose connection with the craft during recording, the recorded iPad video goes black. It only records what the radio receives, unlike the camera recording that get everything in hi res of your choice.

Don't forget that Go can store the 720 video feed on the iPad to view later. This is especially handy to confirm exactly what you captured before you come down out of the sky. I keep this flight video on my iPad for reference later. I've used 20Gb in my ipad in 110 flights. I think 64GB is the minimum I'd recommend for the iPad. I like to go back and look at the 720 feeds to show friends all the places I've shot. It's really handy because of the quick zip slider to locate specific spots in the timeline during review. The only downside of those raw feeds is if you lose connection with the craft during recording, the recorded iPad video goes black. It only records what the radio receives, unlike the camera recording that get everything in hi res of your choice.
There is one other limitation of the 720p video feed stored on the iPad. It only gets recorded and stored if you also remembered to turn on video recording in the DJI GO app, with a micro SD card in the aircraft with sufficient room to record the entire video. I learned this the hard way early on, when I foolishly forgot to turn on the 4K video recording upon launch. Upon landing, I realized my mistake and naively assumed I would at least have a low res 720p recording from the FPV feed I was watching on the iPad. Nope! I was SOL! :eek: Lesson learned! :D

Last edited:
I know that there's a number of threads on this same topic but despite reading all of them, I still struggle to come to a solid conclusion on the iPad which I should buy for my I1 controller.

I'm oriented towards the mini but I'm unsure whether or not I could live with the 16Gb version (which is a lot cheaper than the 64Gb) and if I could do with the Wi-fi only or if it's worth investing on the Wifi+4G.

Lastly, is there any specific reason why you would suggest buying the new mini 4 as opposed to the 3 version?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Go big... the bigger the better... even though the air pad 2 is to have a non glare screen.. still not good enough... i have a service in the mall that install screen protectors with non glare surface.... now my air 2 in totally flat ... no glare at all... works great ... i can even ditch my huge sunshade i made.... another trick.. wear black shirts or jackets... this will assist in the glare issue....

Go big... the bigger the better... even though the air pad 2 is to have a non glare screen.. still not good enough... i have a service in the mall that install screen protectors with non glare surface.... now my air 2 in totally flat ... no glare at all... works great ... i can even ditch my huge sunshade i made.... another trick.. wear black shirts or jackets... this will assist in the glare issue....
what is this product called and where can i get one? haven't seen one yet that truly works.

I am in the same boat as ratephi. I just recently parted company with my Phantom Pro 3 so I could move up to an Inspire. Just waiting for the rest of the funds to order an Inspire. Anyway, I learned a lot with the Phantom 3. Talk about a greenhorn, I attempted to use a Kindle Fire with the Pro 3. I liked the size and the $50 price. Duh! I now use the Fire to hold down some papers on my desk. Next up I tried a Samsung Galaxy T4. It worked but lag and stutters left a lot to be desired. I had an older mini iPad, and while it performed better, there was still lag and stuttering. Around this time I found this website (Inspire Pilots) and quickly found a ton of mistakes I was making. First was not reading the instruction sheet that came with the Phantom more closely. Maybe I would have seen the list of approved devices . Anyway after reviewing everything I have read on these pages I have narrowed my choices down to the Mini 4 and the Air 2. My personal preference is a 64 gig WiFi only Mini 4. I just like the size better. The $100 cheaper is not a major issue, but still that could be used toward adding an additional battery. I will make my purchase at Best Buy since I can try it and return it IF it doesn't measure up to my expectations. I hope the Mini works, I don't like returning stuff and having it end up on the open box table due to my ignorance being at fault. That just drives prices up. Anyway, I want to thank one and all for your input and for helping me make a better, educated decision when I walk through Best Buy's doors again. I intend to post my results here, good, bad, indifferent in hopes of helping someone else down the road make the correct choice when there time comes. Thanks again to everyone for your input!

I have two WiFi iPad Mini 4s. I only got the 16GB models, because I have no need for the extra storage, and that's where the price really goes up.

I am not sure about the GPS stuff mentioned above. I have not had a chance to test the "set the home point to the location of this controller" feature yet.

Reactions: John Archer
Hey InterMurph,

Thanks for the input! Have you noticed any lag or stuttering on the screens? Also, if you think of it, after you find out about the "set the home point of this controller" feature, would you mind posting what you found out. I would really appreciate it and I am sure there are others that would also.

I have not seen any stuttering or lagging on the video display. The app has crashed on me on occasion, but not nearly as often as it did on my Android Nexus 7.

Cool! That was music to my ears! As I mentioned earlier, I was really leaning toward a Mini 4. More compact yet still large enough to see everything I want to see. Got my fingers crossed, I should be able to place my Inspire order by the weekend and then its off to Best Buy to score the Mini. I am thinking WiFi only and 16 gig since this will be a Inspire only dedicated iPad. If they have a 32g or even 64g I may even go that route just in case I need more room down the road. Thanks once again for your input!:D

Cool! That was music to my ears! As I mentioned earlier, I was really leaning toward a Mini 4. More compact yet still large enough to see everything I want to see. Got my fingers crossed, I should be able to place my Inspire order by the weekend and then its off to Best Buy to score the Mini. I am thinking WiFi only and 16 gig since this will be a Inspire only dedicated iPad. If they have a 32g or even 64g I may even go that route just in case I need more room down the road. Thanks once again for your input!:D
Personally, I would still get the Air 2 which still has a processor that is 33% faster than the Mini 4. For me, performance trumps ergonomics when it comes to controlling a $3,000 machine remotely. IPad Air 2 still crashes occasionally under all the demands. Any tablet crash could potentially lead to disaster during the reboot, or at least a pucker moment. With a slower processor, the Mini 4 will be stressed more than the Air 2, and the Inspire1 was designed around the Air 2. Get the manufacturer's recommended tablet. Anything else is a compromise, as you have already found out. YMMV. :cool: You can always get a BT external GPS for resetting the home point on a WiFi only model.

That is definitely food for thought since my reflexes in my old age are certainly getting slower. And the fact that the company itself recommends the Air 2 speaks volumes. I agree 100%, performance is definitely higher up the totem pole compared to simple ergonomics. I cringe to think of augering in simply because I chose something a little more compact. The scales are now tipping back towards the Air 2.
Again all I can say is Thanks once again to all of you for taking the time to help this Ol' Guy out! Your input has already saved me a lot of hair pulling, not to mention money. The Little Lady is constantly complaining I spend to much money on TOYS, (her words-not mine!), so anything that will help in that department is most graciously appreciated. Whatever the outcome I intend to publish my results here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla